Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2010, 12:35 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
watched The China Syndrome last night, fantastic film, very tense with an absence of musical score and some amazing performances especially by Jack Lemmon. Defo recommend the film.
I long time fave that. I used to love all these conspiracy flicks like "China", "Missing" and "Silkwood".
Old 6th February 2010, 12:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last night I watched

Vinyan: Lost Souls - Quite good, it was trying a little too hard to be creepy and different though. The final scene was rather controversial, surely it was illegal to film that, I don't know. I mean no one would be allowed to film a group of 8-10 year old girls rubbing some guys cock, surely.

Music & Lyrics - This was one I watched with my partner (Kelly.) It wasn't too bad to be honest. Hugh Grant played Hugh Grant and Drey Barrymore played Drey Barrymore. Had some good one liners. Hugh sang and played piano and was surprisingly good too. Good one to watch to keep the girlfriend happy after she said "Films are only good to you if they are subtitled", I tried to prove a point.

District 13 - Now this is more like it. Fast paced, energetic and just down right fun. Oh and yes it is subtitled. Kelly instantly fell asleep on my lap just as I pressed play. This starts off with this awesome free running scene that leaves you breathless. Then an incredible fightscene which was a cross between a Jackie Chan and Tony Jaa film but pumped with steroids. Loved it. Looking forward to seeing the sequel, District 13: Ultimatum.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th February 2010, 07:16 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
watched The China Syndrome last night, fantastic film, very tense with an absence of musical score and some amazing performances especially by Jack Lemmon. Defo recommend the film.
Same here. Excellent film with top notch performances and a brilliant white-knuckle ending. Lemmon was a very underrated serious actor (Missing, Glengarry Glen Ross, Days Of Wine & Roses etc).

As 42nd says, Meryl Streep's Silkwood is another excellent conspiracy thriller.
Old 6th February 2010, 07:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched a few today:

Run! Bitch Run!: A modern take on the rape/revenge scenario, but played out and shot in a '70s grindhouse style. Pretty good, and I think it would of worked much better with a bigger budget. Ticks all the exploitation boxes, but still feels a bit lacking in places.

Death Ship: A nice little survival on a supernatural ship horror; a very typically deranged '80s horror - this was great fun IMO. Plus, George Kennedy as the Captain was particularly good; although, I couldn't help but imagine him in a Naked Gun context...

Evil Dead Trap 2: Hideki: A very strange sequel to the brilliant Evil Dead Trap, this was a very intense, sometimes confusing assault on the senses, which took the form of a deranged supernatural slasher / love triangle... Good, buit nowhere near the original in terms of both the gory action and the plot IMO.
Old 6th February 2010, 07:40 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Good one to watch to keep the girlfriend happy after she said "Films are only good to you if they are subtitled", I tried to prove a point.
Noble! I especially like the use of the word "tried"!
Old 6th February 2010, 09:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Same here. Excellent film with top notch performances and a brilliant white-knuckle ending. Lemmon was a very underrated serious actor (Missing, Glengarry Glen Ross, Days Of Wine & Roses etc).

As 42nd says, Meryl Streep's Silkwood is another excellent conspiracy thriller.
one actress i dispise is Meryl Streep, but i may check it out, as for conspiracy thrillers i realy like Capricorn One and a french film called Tell No One.

Is Silkwood the one with Kurt Russell in, if so i will defo check it out.
Old 6th February 2010, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Is Silkwood the one with Kurt Russell in, if so i will defo check it out.
Yep, that's the one. Also stars Cher, Fred Ward and Craig T Nelson. The Mail On Sunday gave one away a while ago (same widescreen print as the Prism DVD) and it should be cheap & easy to find.

I'm no fan of Meryl Streep either.
Old 6th February 2010, 11:19 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching Thriller: A Cruel Picture with a mate. Always a great film although it does go along slowly. Not for the weak hearted
Old 7th February 2010, 08:52 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Last night I watched

Vinyan: Lost Souls - Quite good, it was trying a little too hard to be creepy and different though. The final scene was rather controversial, surely it was illegal to film that, I don't know. I mean no one would be allowed to film a group of 8-10 year old girls rubbing some guys cock, surely.

I too was perturbed by this scene, as it was a lot more graphic than similar scenes in both Don't Torture The Duckling and Malena. surely this scene would never be allowed in the UK as it would fall foul of the OPA
Old 7th February 2010, 08:56 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I re-watched Murder Obsession last night; I seem to be hooked on re-watching all my Raro gialli at the moment. Another fun film which puts the spin of incest (and black magic!) on the traditional giallo formula. Again, another one I think that hasn't been released by anyone else. Not the best gialli IMO, but definitely worth a look if you're a fan of the genre (or if you're a fan of Laura Gemser for that matter... ).
I agree any film with Moira Chen in is worth 90 mins of anybodys time. I am going to wath the italian Stormovie dvd of Black Emanuelle followed by the Mya release of The Real Emanuelle tonight as the wife's going out

Like this? Share it using the links below!