Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2020, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Spit On Your Grave. 2010.

Writer Jennifer takes a vacation from the city life to the woods for her up and coming book, when she is attacked and raped by some locals who believe her to be dead, she exacts her revenge.

Stylish remake of the 70s film, with the same plot and a bit more brutal and different way of revenge plot and a bit more sadistic but hey hell has no fury for a woman scorned. Sarah Butler takes the lead role as Jennifer. The acting is well done and decently paced after the first 10-15 minutes, the torture and rape scenes can be tough to sit through as they seem a bit realistic. Stand away from a woman with garden shears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISpitOnYourGrave-400x600.jpg (71.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th January 2020, 10:34 PM
Cultist

I’m just sitting down to watch The Incredible Melting Man!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3E288A38-BE7C-4242-AA0A-650A5173CEEC.jpeg (30.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 12:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Spit On Your Grave 2. 2013.

Katie is trying to enter the modelling world, when she answers a advert for a photo shoot, when she bound, gagged and raped and drugged she awakes in Bulgaria her nightmare is just starting and plots revenge on her captors.

This was a bit more graphic than the previous film and in the same wave length, does have its flaws every now and again but we can ignore them as we want to see karma in the form of Katie, the way the revenge plan is paced out is good, I don't know who screamed more Joe Absolom or me when he was strapped to a table with a clamp, worth a watch.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

killers_from_space_poster_02.jpg
KILLERS FROM SPACE (1954)

Very cheap but entertaining movie which sees Peter Graves as a pilot revived from the dead by Aliens after a plane crash.
The Aliens home world Sun is dying and throughout the years they have been moving through the galaxy destroying other planets civilizations so they can live on their world. The next in line is the Earth. They plan to use giant reptiles and bugs to destroy the human race..

Old 14th January 2020, 12:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Sorceress (1995)

Linda Blair and Julie Strain play two modern day witches in this Jim Wynorski produced tale of a corrupt law firm. Story wise it's okay and the calibre of actor is good for a film of this ilk, sadly it's not much of a horror film but as an exercise in softcore sex it does the job. An all girl threesome involving Julie, Rochelle Swanson and Toni Naples is pretty damn hot.

Sorceress II: The Temptress (1997)

Jim Wynorski returns with a sequel in name only as Julie Strain returns as a different witch who this time is head of a large cosmetics company.

Plot wise that's pretty much all you need to know as like Sorceress the film is populated by gorgeous women all to eager to take their clothes off.

For whatever reason (Budgetary?) Wynorski uses the exact opening scene from Sorceress in this one too, so we have a double dose of Julie massaging oil into her bare breasts in an erotic black magic rite. (Not that i'm complaining)

Sandahl Bergman pops up towards the end for a bizarre black magic and bad effects showdown with Strain in a musty old cemetery.

How i miss the 90's for films like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (94.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 225x300_247910.jpg (29.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 03:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As a high concept film – two soldiers are tasked with reaching a Colonel in enemy territory to deliver a message which would prevent 1600 men being massacred – the plot is very simple, something which means you can focus on the characters and the actors rather than any narrative complexities.

The bulk of the film is designed to look like it is one single shot, something done with remarkable skill by Sam Mendes, cinematographer Roger Deakins and all the camera operators and the crew. It's underpinned with a wonderful score by Thomas Newman and it's clear a lot of work has gone into the design, costumes, and by every part of the art department to faithfully recreate the numerous aspects of First World War combat in northern France.

This is a brilliant film, one which is gripping from beginning to end, two parts of the film which mirror each other, and sucks you in at the outset and does not release its hold until the credits roll at the end. It's a fantastic technical achievement and an immersive human drama which I hope to see again at the cinema. If that's not possible, and probably even if it is, I'll buy it when it's released and look forward to watching the film and the bonus features about how it was made.

Highly recommended.
Old 14th January 2020, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Crimson Peak. 2015

A aspiring author torn between her childhood friend and a stranger Sir Thomas Sharpe, when her father is killed, she moves to England with Thomas start a new life and escape her ghosts but the house they stay in holds secrets.

Nice little movie From Del Torro, It does have it's tense and suspenseful moments blended in with bright colours so there is no dark moments regarding it being somewhat of a ghost story. Mia Wasikowska Pplays the young author Edith who is enticed By Thomas Sharpe played well by Tom Hiddleson and seems rejected by his his sister Lucille (Jessica Chastain). There is some decent visual effects and brilliant cinematography, the film starts off a bit slow but does get better. Recommended
Old 14th January 2020, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

As a high concept film – two soldiers are tasked with reaching a Colonel in enemy territory to deliver a message which would prevent 1600 men being massacred – the plot is very simple, something which means you can focus on the characters and the actors rather than any narrative complexities.

The bulk of the film is designed to look like it is one single shot, something done with remarkable skill by Sam Mendes, cinematographer Roger Deakins and all the camera operators and the crew. It's underpinned with a wonderful score by Thomas Newman and it's clear a lot of work has gone into the design, costumes, and by every part of the art department to faithfully recreate the numerous aspects of First World War combat in northern France.

This is a brilliant film, one which is gripping from beginning to end, two parts of the film which mirror each other, and sucks you in at the outset and does not release its hold until the credits roll at the end. It's a fantastic technical achievement and an immersive human drama which I hope to see again at the cinema. If that's not possible, and probably even if it is, I'll buy it when it's released and look forward to watching the film and the bonus features about how it was made.

Highly recommended.
Into minds to see this or jojo rabbit this weekend. A couple of people i know have said it's very overrated and a little unrealistic in places.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

1983 the keep (2).jpg
THE KEEP (1983)

Another example of studio interference (Paramount) make this movie somewhat of a mess.
I had not seen this movie in a while but on tonight's re watch you can see where the film had chunks cut out of it. The editing is horrendous. Michael Mann said that it is impossible to restore all the footage now of his 210min cut.
Butchered cult classic with a great score by Tangerine Dream.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Unfriended. 2014

On the anniversary of a girl's suicide, a group of friends online start being menaced by someone using the dead girl's online social media accounts.

You see kiddies, this is what happens when you think it's funny to post videos up and do a bit of the online bullying, this was different and not without it's flaws, and shows how one person can manipulate others into revealing their secrets and lies. Think with this movie there was meant to be suspense but was very little and the acting wasn't great but not bad and the writing txt was a bit small or i need my eyes re-examined, maybe a second viewing will be in order.

Like this? Share it using the links below!