Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2020, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taken 3. 2014.

Bryan tries to clear his name when he is accused pf a murder he didn't commit with the help of his daughter and friends.

This was a bit of a disappointment to the film's franchise as nobody gets taken or kidnapped, just one person goes on the run and testing himself to prove his innocence. Liam Neeson returns with Maggie Grace, Famke Janssen and Dougray Scott as the husband of Lenore. There is more dialogue with co-workers of Brian and bit more back story to their security detail job and Forrest Whittaker as the detective on the trail. There is some good action and fighting and decent acting but the plot does thin out in areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taken 3.jpg (97.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 27th January 2020, 09:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. A young couple are blackmailed into helping the deranged Baron Frankenstein with his demented experiments. About the same as Created Woman, this is competently made and acted, but I couldn't really get into it that much. I much prefer the Dracula films, to be honest.
Old 27th January 2020, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Curse (1987, David Keith)

Firestarter's dad helms Lovecrafter.
Watched this in antici pation of the Cage flick, as tis TCOOS in an updated form. Them Carver folks sure get themselves into a real pickle when a meteorite lands on their farmland. The local doctor tries to lend a hand, but the father, a religious zealot, blames it on sin. Stupid Farqhaur
It follows the parent tale reasonably enough, with some sex and a comedy real estate man thrown in for conventions sake.
Now for the sequel!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC.jpg (21.5 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th January 2020, 11:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Curse II: The Bite (Fred Goodwin)

Snake movie!! Sheeesh. Some decent FX, but PAAAAASSSS
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2020, 01:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Influence. 2019.

A nurse moves back to her childhood home to take of her dying mother and must confront the evil that resides there.

A little Spanish horror that dwells on ghosts and witches. The plot does get confusing at times and is at a very slow pace and may become quite predictable, I would like to say it's intruiging but cant and somewhat of a small chiller factor, there is a dark gothic element to it and few good blood splatter scenes. Keep a open mind if viewing.
Old 28th January 2020, 08:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Went to the cinema today to see Jumanji: The Next Level. Amusing enough sequel to Welcome to the Jungle, with the old cast back as well as new additions including Danny DeVito and Danny Glover (the latter in particular looking well old). If you liked the first (or second), you'll like this.
Old 28th January 2020, 02:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Jack the Giant Killer (1962)

Bringing together actors Kerwin Mathews, Torin Thatcher, producer Edward Small and director Nathan H. Juran from 1958's The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jack the Giant Killer was a troubled production with 7th Voyage's studio Columbia Pictures threatening to sue Small, who then changed the film into a musical to avoid any similarities to 7th Voyage. Thankfully the original print was released thirty years later.

The film is, despite it's troubles, a hell of a lot of fun. Mathews makes for a heroic Jack and Thatcher, a wonderfully treacherous Pendragon the sorcerer, looking rather like Anthony Ainley's Master from 80's Doctor Who.

The film uses a lot of stop motion animation courtesy of Project Unlimited who had just won an Oscar for their work on The Time Machine (1960) but sadly these effects never come close quality wise, when it comes to giants and other mythical creatures, to the classic work of Ray Harryhausen.

Having said that the film boasts one excellent attack on a ship by a coven of witches and even as an adult in the 21st century i admit that the witches are scarily creepy and frightening to the eye even now. If i'd seen the film as a child i'm thinking they would be proper Wicked Witch of the West scary. If not worse, with their gruesome skeletal features.

Beginning with a delightful fairy tale story book like opening and ending with a final battle between good and evil, i heartily recommend this.
Old 28th January 2020, 02:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Blood Beast Terror. 1968.

A scientist working with genetics creates a creature that can transform from human to a moth that feeds on human flesh.

This was a entertaining gothic chiller with Peter Cushing as the detective on the trail of a killer when bodies start appearing torn to shreds and unable to find the culprit and thinks wild birds are loose in the country. Even though Peter Cushing said that this was his worst role and film, and only done it to pay for his wife's medical bills, he is still great to watch.

Robert Flemyng plays Dr. Mallinger, who thinks the genetic with insects can be used within the human body and not think of the outcome and tries to protect what he had created, his persona can be sympathetic and also sinister at the same time.
Old 28th January 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

MV5BYWI5YjgxZTEtODg1YS00MDJmLTlhMzktZmI5Y2Y3MmMzMzM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
TRINITY IS STILL MY NAME (1971)

Continuing adventures of Trinity and Bambino. The brothers help some monks whose Mission is being used for gun smuggling.
Excellent sequel which follows the first film with fast gunplay, fights, plenty of humour and another all out brawl, this time in the Mission.
Old 28th January 2020, 10:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Blood Beast Terror. 1968.

A scientist working with genetics creates a creature that can transform from human to a moth that feeds on human flesh.

This was a entertaining gothic chiller with Peter Cushing as the detective on the trail of a killer when bodies start appearing torn to shreds and unable to find the culprit and thinks wild birds are loose in the country. Even though Peter Cushing said that this was his worst role and film, and only done it to pay for his wife's medical bills, he is still great to watch.

Robert Flemyng plays Dr. Mallinger, who thinks the genetic with insects can be used within the human body and not think of the outcome and tries to protect what he had created, his persona can be sympathetic and also sinister at the same time.
Rewatching it, I felt twas no worse than either The Reptile or The Gorgon, with only certain elements appearing ... threadbare in comparison with other monsters from this company.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!