LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2020, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part ★★★★

Quote:
It’s been five years since everything was awesome and the citizens are facing a huge new threat: LEGO DUPLO® invaders from outer space, wrecking everything faster than they can rebuild.
Just as the first LEGO movie was a pleasant surprise, so too was this sequel, a lively, witty, and smart film with verbal and sight gags for the whole family.

It has dazzling visuals thanks to the animation and creative world building, giving the film additional humour, style, and energy. The all-star voice cast once again make the characters interesting and funny.

Given how the first film ended, I wasn't sure how the sequel would work, but it shows what a great screenplay Phil Lord and Christopher Miller produce, and what is your direction came from Mike Mitchell that the team have made something even more ambitious and amusing. That said, I don't think it is as inventive or as fun as the first film, but I was disappointed and sad to read that Warner Brothers have let the rights to the LEGO franchise expire, probably meaning there will not be a third instalment.

I streamed this and Now TV and enjoyed it enough to put the 4K Ultra HD release on my wish list and will buy it when money and space allows.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Personal Shopper 2016 ★★★★★

This was the first time I have felt that Kristin Stewart delivered a performance befitting that of the lead actress, betraying a three-dimensional character with real depth and someone with whom I was both mentally and emotionally engaged.

The premise of having someone facing their own mortality while grieving the death of their sibling, desiring some form of communication, and for it to be done in a way which is serious about grief, about spirituality, and about how smartphones (and technology in general) have become an integral part of everyday life.

Olivier Assayas has made a psychological horror which doesn't look like a typical genre piece, making the supernatural sequences all the more affecting and unnerving. It's a film which benefits from Stewart's career-best performance, an excellent screenplay and interesting, assured direction.

I thought it was brilliant, a mesmerising film which I hope to buy soon and think will be amongst my favourite films of the decade in years to come.
I thought this was really good when i saw it last January.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought this was really good when i saw it last January.
I've had it recorded on my TiVo box since it was broadcast on BBC2 and decided to watch it on Sunday – I'm glad I did!
Old 12th February 2020, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Paganini Horror ★★★

The commentary by Troy Howarth on the 88 Films Blu-ray is a good lesson which begins as he describes it as a "schlocky horror" which is "endearingly goofy". He recognises it's not a great horror film, but likes it all the same, giving plenty of information about its production and other aspects of the film industry which are tangentially linked to this film.

This is a really well delivered commentary track with plenty of information and opinion, so it is well worth a listen if you have the Blu-ray release.
If it hasn't got this in it somewhere, it's missing a trick.

Old 12th February 2020, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
If it hasn't got this in it somewhere, it's missing a trick.

It doesn't have that, but the main song the band play sounds very similar to Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love a Bad Name'!
Old 12th February 2020, 08:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
It doesn't have that, but the main song the band play sounds very similar to Bon Jovi's 'You Give Love a Bad Name'!
One of the verses is thusly.

Paganini up on the chimney,
Lord of the dance,
With Nero and old Nicky.
Whack that devil
Into my fiddlestick!
Give me the Banshees for B.V.s,
Give me the Banshees for B.V.s.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hills have eyes 2...

All the extras!!!

Great & better than the film!!!
Old 12th February 2020, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Werewolf Of London. 1935.

While on a expedition in Tibet, a doctor is attacked and bitten by a werewolf, returning home to London he starts to change into a wolf and his only hope is the juice of a flower he found to study.

Henry Hull leads the films as Dr. Wilfred Glendon who finds a plant only to be attacked and every full moon which seems to be nearly every night transforms into the snarling beast. This was the first of the wolf film made by universal and least known to some and one i forgot existed..bad Mr B. very bad indeed. This was enjoyable with it's gloomy dark atmosphere and somewhat little twist with the Mr Yogami.

MV5BYjA4ZDljODYtMzBjZi00NWQ0LWIzM2YtNTljMDM0YjE0NjZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 12th February 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Ransom (1996)

Have you ever selected a dvd to watch thinking it was something else?

I just did with Ransom. I was thinking it was 1999's Payback i'd picked out to watch.

Oh well, laziness prevented me from turning the film off and i'm pleased it did because Ron Howard's thriller is a classy affair featuring a strong cast, tense action sequences and a largely gripping, occasionally unpredictable, storyline.

Just the type of blockbuster thriller we don't really see in cinemas nowadays, more's the pity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La_rancon_affiche_401806_42485.jpg (28.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th February 2020, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Baskin (2015, Can Evrenol)

A police unit is sent to a location that is outside their jurisdiction ... in many ways. An oddity. Decent enough premise. But did it amount to much? May have to have another looksee methinks

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!