Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 16th February 2020, 07:50 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Hidden (1987) ★★★★

Quote:
When average, law-abiding citizens suddenly turn to a life of hedonistic behavior and violent crime, Detective Tom Beck (Michael Nouri) is tasked with helping young FBI agent Lloyd Gallagher (Kyle MacLachlan) determine the cause in this tense, sci-fi thriller.
This is a gem of a film, a movie which doesn't easily fit into a category because it's a body snatcher-type sci-fi/horror, a buddy cop action drama and with a few comedic elements. It's a film which shouldn't work and yet does, superbly.

The opening car chase with Chris Mulkey tearing around LA in a Ferrari, smashing through cars and even, just like in the Wayne's World 2 parody, a large glass pane and not caring who or what he runs over or through is really well choreographed and is both exciting and blackly comedic. From there, it slows down a bit before the action – usually shootouts – picks up at various intervals to great effect.

It's a very well cast film, with Kyle MacLachlan and Michael Nouri in the lead roles and contributions from the mentioned Chris Mulkey and character actors like Clu Gulager, Lin Shaye and William Boyett.

This was a blind buy, a film I hadn't seen before but one I bought solely because it was part of the Premium Collection, and I'm really glad it's been released. If it isn't a cult film, it should be!
Old 16th February 2020, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return to house on Haunted Hill. 2007.

Ariel Wolfe who's sister Sara survived the massacre at Hill House committed to a psychiatric hospital, is kidnapped and returned to the house to find a relic while a professor is also looking for the relic.

Sometimes direct to dvd movie sequels aren't great but this one was decent to watch, the plot was a bit creative with the relic and its purpose within the house, there is plenty of creative killings and gore. The acting wasnt brilliant but good, only downside was the exterior shots of the building on the outside as it does look like a paint by numbers picture,

MV5BMjg2NDYxNTg1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE5NjAwNzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 16th February 2020, 08:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood] (2019).
I agree with your overall sentiments about the film – I thought it was overall extremely good, possibly benefiting from those lulls where one editor may have wanted the runtime cut down slightly. I felt those breathing spaces allowed you to appreciate what had come before them and growing anticipation for what is about to happen to the characters you've come to know and like (or even love).

I have listened to the soundtrack several times and want to buy the 4K Ultra HD release (it's a typical Tarantino film where a lot of time has gone into the aesthetics) and can see myself watching it many times. It's a film which shows that Tarantino is still a great director, Leonardo DiCaprio is very versatile and talented lead actor, and Brad Pitt fully deserves his Oscar win.

As far as the 'Once Upon a Time' films, I enjoyed and appreciated this a lot more than the 'Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France' sequence that grew to become Inglorious Basterds, something which was lesser than the sum of its parts.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 16th February 2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 16th February 2020, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A French scientist , his assistant ( Peter Lorrie) and a sailor( Kirk Douglas) set out on a voyage to find a monster what is believed to be sinking ships, there ship is attacked and sunk by not a creature but a submarine the Nautilus and her captain Nemo( James Mason), they are the only three survivor's , it's soon obvious that while the captain brilliant he is a little unhinged and dangerous.

People today would call it un PC we have no female characters apart from two whores with Douglas at the beginning and the portrayal of the cannibals. ( what how dare the cannibals be coloured !)

If they made it today Nemo and his Crew would be all women as well as Douglas and the cannibals would now all be old white men as we all know that's the only bad guys you can have without upsetting people. 7.5/10

Now watching

Old 16th February 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched part one of The Tommynockers now watching

Old 16th February 2020, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Greystoke: The legend of Tarzan, Lord of the apes.

A missing heir of a respected family who was raised by apes as a infant is returned to his family and realises the difference between the two worlds he is in.

A realistic take on a powerful novel starring Christopher Lambert as Tarzan who is the missing earl who was discovered in a jungle by poachers and nurses D'Arnot played brilliantly by Ian Holmes back to health who in return takes him back to his family and grandfather Sir Ralph Richardson.

Hugh Hudson done a great job directing this film with some good cinematography by John Alcott with most of the film shot in Cameroon for the jungle. James Fox, Andie MacDowell, Ian Charleson provide some good additional casting in the second part of the film which does seem to slow down the pace, but was good to see it again.

MV5BMTM5MzcwOTg4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTQwMzQxMDE@._V1_.jpg
Old 17th February 2020, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rescue Me (1992, Arthur Allan Siedelman)

Cannon caper with the Dudikoff (and a young Dorff ). Quite sane for one of theirs, aside from the comedic villians etc. An undemanding watch. Which is all I want at the moment, wracked with bronchial fever as I is. COUGH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM.jpg (96.7 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th February 2020, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I agree here, I was greatly disappointed, I thought I was going to love it but the songs were dreadful!
That's WHY I mentioned Glee J
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th February 2020, 07:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Hidden (1987) ★★★★

This is a gem of a film, a movie which doesn't easily fit into a category because it's a body snatcher-type sci-fi/horror, a buddy cop action drama and with a few comedic elements. It's a film which shouldn't work and yet does, superbly.

The opening car chase with Chris Mulkey tearing around LA in a Ferrari, smashing through cars and even, just like in the Wayne's World 2 parody, a large glass pane and not caring who or what he runs over or through is really well choreographed and is both exciting and blackly comedic. From there, it slows down a bit before the action – usually shootouts – picks up at various intervals to great effect.

It's a very well cast film, with Kyle MacLachlan and Michael Nouri in the lead roles and contributions from the mentioned Chris Mulkey and character actors like Clu Gulager, Lin Shaye and William Boyett.

This was a blind buy, a film I hadn't seen before but one I bought solely because it was part of the Premium Collection, and I'm really glad it's been released. If it isn't a cult film, it should be!

IT IS. Claudia Christian uuuhhhhhhh
nosferatu42 likes this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!