Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2020, 09:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great review there Duke!

I look forward to the day I have this in my claws ....
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th February 2020, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aliens try to warn the people of the earth but as they look like giant starfish people run away in panic or more likely hysterics so one of them decides to look human and takes on the form of a famous singer to warning the people of the earth. 5.5/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th February 2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 24th February 2020, 11:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Invisible Man (1933)

I've always thought Claude Rains was an underrated actor, so you'd think that here, whilst more or less invisible the whole time, and in his first American film, he'd go unnoticed if you'll pardon the pun.

Yet he doesn't and it's all testament to his stunning voice, vocal range and mannerisms that he owns this part in the same way Karloff does the Frankenstein monster and Lon Chaney Jr. the Wolf Man.

It also helps that the invisibility special effects are superb and completely hold up today as well as any modern multi million dollar blockbuster, considering this film is 87 years old it's some achievement.

The film itself is great, James Whale directs with skill and verve and the story positively romps along and whilst not really a horror film in the way the other Universal creature films are it still has chilling moments of suspense and shock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_570xN.1745958808_mg39.jpg (90.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th February 2020, 11:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Swamp Thing. 1982.

Dr. Alec Holland working in the bayou swamp trying to create a new species, a doctor plans to steal the formula, Holland is turned into a swamp monster and seeks revenge.

Based on the D.C comic's, Wes Craven turned it into a decent creature movie, even on a small scale budget he done a good job even with the special effects and creature mass. Louis Jordan plays the competitor Doctor Arcane who wants the formula, from Dr Holland played by Ray Wise. For it being a 80s flick it may seem cheesy but worth a watch including Adrienne Bareau who wears skimpy things or going topless.

a34b28e7aec56d15a26ebe872e5c757cb0f169e5.jpg
Old 25th February 2020, 12:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Invisible Man Returns (1940)

Seven years after the first film the invisible man returned, gone was Claude Rains though with the bandages filled by one Vincent Price in his first horror film role.

Price too is excellent in what is simply a voice over role except for a short scene at the end, his velvety voice perfect for this kind of work although being a mere 29 years old his voice wasn't as delicious as it would become in later life.

The effects are as delightful as before and the story concerning Price as the brother of Rain's original invisible man on the run for a murder he didn't commit is as fast paced and enjoyable as you'd hope even if the movie is essentially a retread of the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72b55536ba6573ec46e0f2bfc2a65347.jpg (79.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th February 2020, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Transporter Refueled. 2015.

In the south of France, ex special forces Frank Martin is a car for hire, his latest jobs tasks him in a cat and mouse game with three femme fatales who seek revenge against a Russian kingpin.

The reboot of the franchise, Ed Skrein takes over from Jason Statham, This may not be the best of the films, the plot of the story is decent but would be better with a bit more effort was put into some of the acting, with the cinematography seems to be all over the place, the car chase and fight scenes are the only things that make this one watchable and Ray Stevenson as the senior charmer.

The transporter.jpg
Old 25th February 2020, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The film opens in the 1800's with final confrontation between Dracula and Van Helsing. Both come a cropper , jump forward too 1972 and Alucard brings his dark master Dracula back from the dead. Once resurrected Dracula sets his sites on destroying the remaining Van Helsings.

Has a bit of a bad rep , but always enjoyed it, we have the fantastic opening battle between Dracula and Van Helsing and a atmospheric satanic ritual. 7/10

Now watching.

That just leaves The Legend of the Seven Golden vampires.

Last edited by trebor8273; 25th February 2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 25th February 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Transporter Refueled. 2015.

In the south of France, ex special forces Frank Martin is a car for hire, his latest jobs tasks him in a cat and mouse game with three femme fatales who seek revenge against a Russian kingpin.

The reboot of the franchise, Ed Skrein takes over from Jason Statham, This may not be the best of the films, the plot of the story is decent but would be better with a bit more effort was put into some of the acting, with the cinematography seems to be all over the place, the car chase and fight scenes are the only things that make this one watchable and Ray Stevenson as the senior charmer.

Attachment 222802
I found the "familial" aspect of the storyline too central. Plus his quizzical look before kicking arse just diiidn't cut it for me
MrBarlow likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th February 2020, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

Filmed on the sly whilst actually going to the moon for NASA . Ahem.
A patchwork quilt of a film, hand stitched with due care and attention born from a love of getting it just right
OR
Shenanigans are afoot when the yanks draw ranks on that ol' pizza pie. Wassa problem? Is it the next bleedin' step in yer actual evolution, guvnor or what??
If, like me, you've read all 4 books cough, you will revisit this time and time again, the '84 film less so cough.
It's basically Satre in space, as three personalities jockey for top position. Or maybe I shouldn't have drunk that Grouse I was given just yet hic!
I still want to see it on a big screen.
I want to feel the ST etc.
Did he peak here? My mate says so, but he's an autodidactic arse at the best of times

Enough!! A milestone in cinema. Next!!

[B]
Old 25th February 2020, 11:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Almost Human. 1974.

Giulio a small time crook panics during a robbery and kills a policeman, his gang beat him and leave him, soon he hatches a plan to get money quick by kidnapping the daughter of his wealthy girlfriend's boss.

This was a nice giallo flick from Umberto Lenzi with Tomas Milan as Giulio, small time crook who has no remorse from taking lives, and encouraging his men to play roulette with three people using a chandelier. Henry Silver plays the hard nose detective on the trail who has to abide by the law and tries to break the rules to get the victim and the perpetrator.

The film is shot nicely and may seem slow paced at moments but the pace does quicken up, with some tense moments and scenes of a attempt rape, the characters seem more central in this film and intriguing even Henry Silva playing a good guy who tries everything and seems to play by his own rules.

almost human.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!