Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2020, 12:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Rainbow. 1989.

Around the time of the Boer War, young Ursula is seduced by her female sports teacher, also introduced to a young soldier while planning her future.

D.H. Lawrence book brought by Ken Russell that is a Prequel to Women In Love focuses on young Ursula in her teen years played by Sammi Davis, from being in a relationship with Winifred Inger (Amanda Donohoe) to soldier Anton (Paul McGann). The film is shot brilliantly and including the landscape of the Lake District. Russell seems to add mixed emotions of happiness sadness and anger pretty well from the source novel combined with good acting from everyone.. Recommended.

images.jpg
Old 13th March 2020, 02:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Gorgon. 1964.

A small European village is terrorised by a state of murders and the victims are turned to stone.

This is a nice gothic horror from the Hammer studio directed by Terence Fisher who manages to capture horror and suspense with a castle shrouded in constant fog. Peter Cushing stars as the Doctor who doesn't believe in superstition...or does he. Christopher Lee stars opposite as Prof. Meister who travels to the village to join his colleague and help rid the village of its monster. Barbara Shelley gives out one of her greatest performances as the young nurse who may hide the secret.

Even though Cushing and Lee don't have much screen time together you can tell they are professional actors as they don't out shine or over act against each other. The creature effect may have been effective back then as its a bit tame, but from start to finish it never gets boring just better as it goes on.

MV5BYWIwMDI4ZTMtZjhmNy00MDkwLThhYzUtOWQwZTQ1YjA1NzE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwNDcwNjk@._V1_SX1777_CR0,.jpg
Old 13th March 2020, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Black Hole (1979, Gary Nelson)

Thought I would reperuse this old warhorse.
Disney's rather sombre wee flick gets right into it and doesn't let up for a minute really. An exploratory vessel comes across a fabled "lost" spaceship. What they find within is another matter altogether.
It's quite sour for WD, but they were producing some odd live action things anyway, so maybe cocaine (sniff) had something to do with it?
Ahem.
It still contains the greatest homoroboterotic moment in film history
Ahem.
I dug the Fisher Price "stargate" sequence betterer this time and all ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th March 2020, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Flat Two (1962)

A solid entry in The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre series of hourly films which often played as support features in cinemas.

Flat Two has a very good cast - John Le Mesurier, Jack Watling, Bernard Archard, Charles Lloyd Pack and Ann Bell who all perform well in this tightly knit tale of murder, corruption and robbery culminating in a decent little whodunnit mystery,

Alan Cooke directs with aplomb in what is a fairly pacy movie. I'd recommend this sort of thing to those who enjoy British crime movies.
Old 14th March 2020, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Cleansing (2019)

A British witchcraft thriller set in the fourteenth century that is so slow burn it borders on boring.

Rebecca Aycock as Alice, a young woman accused of witchcraft during a time of plague is very good and the masked 'Cleanser' is creepy to look at but the film never really takes off and meanders rather than thrills or indeed chills and probably due to low production values fails completely in the atmosphere stakes.

I might give this another go as it was early morning when i watched it so perhaps wasn't giving it my utmost attention.
Old 14th March 2020, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched Doctor Sleep this aftenoon, I must admit that I was very aprehensive going in, The Shining and all of that. However, I was pretty blown away, it's a great film. Some truly horrific scenes and one which was chilling to watch, I wont spoil for those who may not have seen it yet. I watched the Theatrical Cut because I though, if I don't like it, at least it's 30 minutes shorter, but now I wish I had watched the longer Director's Cut, so I think in the next couple of weeks I'll watch it again

Me home alone right now =

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th March 2020, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Doctor Sleep this aftenoon, I must admit that I was very aprehensive going in, The Shining and all of that. However, I was pretty blown away, it's a great film. Some truly horrific scenes and one which was chilling to watch, I wont spoil for those who may not have seen it yet. I watched the Theatrical Cut because I though, if I don't like it, at least it's 30 minutes shorter, but now I wish I had watched the longer Director's Cut, so I think in the next couple of weeks I'll watch it again

Me home alone right now =
Boo!

(Demon after all .... )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th March 2020, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Boo!

(Demon after all .... )
If it redeems me in your eyes at all, I also watched Karate Warrior this week and loved it, and I immediately started looking for the sequels online

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th March 2020, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

AHEM.

Z.P.G. (1972, Michael Campus)

And I thought it would be timely to dig this one out cough ... cough. I only theatrically splutter because of all the smog ... lawdy tis dense 'round these parts.
I had forgotten how bleak this is.
Olly and Geraldine Chapman exist in a limbo, along with the rest of society. How they combat this ... is relevant? Hmmm, maybe not. If it comes to the scenario presented here .... count me out. Grim.

[B]
Old 14th March 2020, 11:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Arctic (2018)

A beautifully acted one man performance from Mads Mikkelsen in a film which from the first minute turns out to be a grueling, unflinching and chillingly gripping survival drama.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arctic_ver5.jpg (87.1 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!