Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2020, 12:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Horrible film

Horrible Bosses 2.
At the moment a no brains low brow comedy is probably essential right about now. And Horrible Bosses the sequel has this in spades, plus you get Kevin Spacey in jail, which is kind of ironic. For Nick, Kurt and Dale ( there name alone makes for a cracking joke at the start of the movie) they decide the way to go Is to be there own boss. So they venture in to making the Shower Buddy, or Shower Daddy, but as Jason Sudekis points out why would your dad be in the shower with you. A lot of the comedy centres on the fact that they are inept at committing crime, in the first movie it was murder, in this one it’s kidnaping (they also can’t spell kidnapping).Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudekis have a great chemistry, and they play of each wonderfully, and they keep the same dynamic and formula from the first film. Of course if you are not a fan of the original film, then your probably not likely to enjoy this much either. But if you like Farrelly Bros Hall Pass and the Charlie Day comedy Fist Fight (also fans of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia should love it as well,Sudekis has made a couple of appearances on the show) then you could do a lot worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horrible-Bosses-2-poster.jpg (82.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 26th March 2020, 01:06 PM
Active Cultist

De Palma Overdose

de palma.jpg

* De Palma (Documentary)

Interesting little documentary around 1h40m where De Palma guides us into is movies, touch the surface on most of them, doesn't go into much detail, leaves his anti-war message in the middle, and speaks about his big influence Hitchcock, honestly I thought giallos were a big influence on him too, but he never mention.

* Body Double

After watching the doc, I realized that I had a couple of movies I never watched from him - Body Double is a classic thriller from the 80's with a de Palma touch, it's not brilliant, its predictable - but for some reason the thrillers in the 80's are so cheesy and good to watch.

* Passion

Was interesting to see the difference between the Body Double & Passion - if his name was not attached to the movie, I will thought could be anyone making it, it's a boring movie, with boring characters, could be much better but the casting is miserable Rachel McAdams it's a too nice, to play villain, and Noomi Rapace in my personal opinion, she doesn't have any acting skills, her face looks always a wooden board.. not recommend at all.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gonjam: Haunted Asylum (2018, Jung Bum-Shik)

Savageland (2017, Phil Guidry, Simon Herbert, David Whelan)

Two FFers.
First up, A team of Korean paranormal investigators visit .... guess? Go on!
Reasonably creepy in places, so I'll recommend this one.
Next up, a "true crime" style investigation (mockumentary then surely??? ) into a supposed "massacre" in a small Mexican border hamlet. This was better, as it unfolds more organically. a local handyman is blamed when he is the only apparent survivor. Decent enough, I found it quite gripping, the police have their man and the case is closed as far as they are concerned .... but .... Recommended.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg G.jpg (72.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg S2.jpg (96.9 KB, 5 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th March 2020, 09:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

COVER GIRL KILLER (1959)

Women who have posed on the covers of glamour magazine 'WOW' are being murdered and left in the pose and outfit they wore on the cover..

Harry H Corbett before his Steptoe days is 'The Man', the killer in fake toupee and thick glasses.
Quite enjoyable British crime thriller and packs a lot in it's short running time.

webANXcovergirlkiller59.jpg
Old 26th March 2020, 10:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A classic still as chilling and frightening as the first time I saw it. 10/10

With getting Disney plus going to watch the Marvel movies starting with this one.

Old 26th March 2020, 11:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Seraphim Falls (2006)

I last watched this on dvd when it initially came out so some fourteen years later this felt like a whole new movie.

For the first hour and twenty minutes we have an exciting hunter vs hunted survival epic through snowy mountains through the pastures and onto the deserts as an excellent Liam Neeson and his five man posse attempts to capture the equally excellent Pierce Brosnan.

What i appreciated more on this viewing was the cameo appearances of Wes Studi and Angelica Huston. On realising who they were portraying meant the finale made a lot more sense and actually added to the films revisionist strategy.

Beautifully made and nicely acted, Seraphim Falls gave away many more secrets this time around and proved a more complete and rewarding viewing experience.

Oh and Pierce Brosnan slits open a guys stomach so he can warm his hands on his intestines. Eat your heart out The Revenant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seraphim_falls.jpg (26.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 27th March 2020, 05:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rabid. 2019.

Rose who works in the fashion world hoping to be a designer, is seriously scarred after a bike crash, she is offered stem cell surgery which improves her physical appearance and also a side effect.

I held off watching this as the original is a favourite, The Soska sisters did try and create a new version from the Cronenberg vision, even though there is a homage to a Dead Ringers scene placed in by the sisters. Laura VanderVoort steps in the role made famous by Marilyn Chambers. The film does take it's time to pick up the pace and goes on a steady pace filled with plenty blood and guts but that seems to be the only thing good going for it, even adding a twist ending that was a unexpected. Wouldn't say its great but certainly not rubbish.

rabid-2019-horror_top.jpg
Old 27th March 2020, 11:43 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Rabid. 2019.

Rose who works in the fashion world hoping to be a designer, is seriously scarred after a bike crash, she is offered stem cell surgery which improves her physical appearance and also a side effect.

I held off watching this as the original is a favourite, The Soska sisters did try and create a new version from the Cronenberg vision, even though there is a homage to a Dead Ringers scene placed in by the sisters. Laura VanderVoort steps in the role made famous by Marilyn Chambers. The film does take it's time to pick up the pace and goes on a steady pace filled with plenty blood and guts but that seems to be the only thing good going for it, even adding a twist ending that was a unexpected. Wouldn't say its great but certainly not rubbish.

Attachment 223331
It's on my queue of movies, after your review - maybe will climb some steps, and I will watch on the next few days
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 27th March 2020, 11:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

THE-FLY-RETURN-OF-THE-FLY-DOUBLE-FEATURE.jpg
THE FLY (1958) RETURN OF THE FLY (1959)

Classic horror with Vincent Price. The first movie needs no introduction. A great movie. The scene where we first see 'The Fly' is fantastic, and everyone knows about the final shocking moments.
The Return Of The Fly is a different movie altogether. This time we go full creature feature. Not a great film but does have a standout scene where the policeman and the Guinea pig are merged together.
Fox were not interested in the movie which is why it is in black and white but they did lend their scope lenses.
Old 27th March 2020, 12:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
It's on my queue of movies, after your review - maybe will climb some steps, and I will watch on the next few days
I like it. Mr.Barlow saying blood and guts was the only thing going for it was harsh in my opinion.

It's an original film rather than a specific remake of the Cronenberg one.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!