Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2020, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

God Told Me To. 1976.

Random New Yorkers start killing people and claim god told them to kill, a police detective is assigned who may have sealed his own fate.

With Larry Cohen films they can hard to hate and this one has always been a favourite, Tony Lo Bianco plays the catholic detective Peter Nichols investigating why random people start killing and believe Christ appeared to them in the form of Bernard Phillips played by Richard Lynch. Right from the start it's a get go straight to the shooting and even Andy Kaufman takes puck shots at a crowd with a smile on his face. Cohen always seems to take a low budget and make it seem huge.

god told me.jpg
Old 30th March 2020, 02:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's a great eerie film that. His least spoken about one as well. Well, The Ambulance cough ahem....

Watching this, set in Hamburg in the 70s, it's fairly grim so far. Slightly Angst-y
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T.jpg (8.3 KB, 5 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th March 2020, 03:09 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

dance.jpg

Dance Of The Drunken Mantis aka Drunken Master 2

Sam The Seed is a master of drunken boxing in the south and Rubber Legs is a master of Drunken Mantis style. Rubber Legs travels south to defeat Sam The Seed in order to prove he has the ultimate drunken style. Sam The Seed returns home after a long time to discover his wife has adopted a son called Foggy. Foggy is a bit of a fool but when he is forced to step up to the plate and take on Rubber Legs he too will become a master but Sam The Seed is in no state to train him after his first almost fatal encounter with Rubber Legs so Foggy turns to his uncle for his final lessons.

The fights are extremely creative and for the most part very silly but they flow beautifully with some comedy thrown in. My favourite fight scene has to be when Sam The Seed fights his wife it was hilarious with a very imaginative use of a broom . The wife has some unbelievable scenes shame she didn't have more her sword v spear scene was another top scene.

Overall fun silly and highly entertaining.

7/10
Old 30th March 2020, 04:19 PM
Cult Master

ลามะถล่มจ้าวอ&#361.jpg

Shaolin v Lama

Sung Li Ting roams the countryside in search of Kung Fu masters who can defeat him in order to learn new skills. He meets Shao Si Yer a Shaolin Monk who agrees to take him to his master to learn the ways of Shaolin. His master no longer takes in students after one of his most trusted pupils stole a book containing the secrets to every fighting style from the monastery. In hopes to be accepted into the monastery for his training Sung Li goes in search for the Lama to recover the secrets.

Some great setpeices and some more humorous fights like fighting over a cooked chicken and the following scene fighting over a cooked duck . It amazes me how innovative they are in these films incorporating such things in such and effective way into a fight.

The Shaolin master is hilarious he's a real smart ass who has no interest in anything only eating meat and drinking wine. Even when he is training Sung Li it revolves around wine meat and sleep

The use of colour is fantastic especially during fight scenes with coloured robes flowing like flames dancing. The scenery is also beautiful temples rivers mountains rich vegitation in the countryside all add a great backdrop to the fights.

8/10
Old 30th March 2020, 06:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

Basically, the most amazing three horror films by one director in the history of cinema.

Nothing else can be said about these, except...watch them or

On second thoughts, just watch them.
Old 30th March 2020, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Suspiria. 1977.

A young American girl travels to Germany to train at a ballet school and uncovers a witch coven.

After watching the remake (which i have changed my opinion, its good) finally persuaded the Mrs to watch the original (after Phenomena she decided that Mr Argento wasn't a director she liked). This has changed her mind i think, after the first kill she was hooked on the film, she admired the strong bright colours and low key lightning in some scenes, mentioned Inferno being the sequel and think i have finally converted her to a Dario fan now hallelujah.

suspiria.jpg
Old 30th March 2020, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Inferno is even more of a swerve though, keep us posted!!

The Witch In The Window

Slightly cliched haunted house tale. A young pup is sent to his estranged father as a punishment for internet naughtiness. He's renovating a house. The local sparky tells a familair tale.....
For all that twas decent enough,and doesn't outstay its welcome.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th March 2020, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Class Of 1999, Running Scared (1986) & The Great Escape

Class Of 1999

This is such a fun movie, granted it's 21 years past the date in the title but who cares. Got Pam Grier and Patrick Kilpatrick as psychotic robot teachers, this is a complete joy, With Hollywood keen top remake movies, I'm surprised that there's not been a Class Of 2039.

Running Scared (1986)

This is the one with Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal as buddy cops who are retiring to Florida but want to put away Jimmy Smit's drug dealer before they go. This is a fine comedy/action movie that's typical from the mid 80's

The Great Escape

1st time I've seen this, found it to be enjoyable but wasn't expecting the ending though.
Old 30th March 2020, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead

Basically, the most amazing three horror films by one director in the history of cinema.

Nothing else can be said about these, except...watch them or

On second thoughts, just watch them.
Oh yeah, might do the Dawn remake possible the Night one as well
Old 30th March 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Inferno is even more of a swerve though, keep us posted!!

The Witch In The Window

Slightly cliched haunted house tale. A young pup is sent to his estranged father as a punishment for internet naughtiness. He's renovating a house. The local sparky tells a familair tale.....
For all that twas decent enough,and doesn't outstay its welcome.
So, would you have approached the chair?

I'd have probably been next seen three miles away in about two minutes flat.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!