Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2020, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

City of the Living Dead (1980)

A minor masterpiece from Lucio Fulci.

Nightmarish, bloody and supremely atmospheric, not to mention utter nonsense.

Fulci shows a lack of research as this is set during the couple of days leading up to All Saints Day (Nov 1st) and there's not a Halloween decoration to be seen.

Also I can never work out why only a few corpses are reanimated in Dunwich. Surely if the gates of hell are opening it would would revive all corpses and the graveyards around Dunwich would be awash with the living dead.

Most of Lucio's films are flawed so it's best not to think about it and simply go along for the ride. And what a ride it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2069 (Large).jpg (99.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 30th March 2020, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
City of the Living Dead (1980)

A minor masterpiece from Lucio Fulci.
My favourite of the trilogy! I have however found a new found appreciation of House by the Cemetary which I've always thought to be a lesser film but it's actually pretty good.

Now I'm stuck indoors all day long I really wish my films weren't all packed away but I have no idea which box has which films so I'm not going to start opening them

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th March 2020, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
My favourite of the trilogy! I have however found a new found appreciation of House by the Cemetary which I've always thought to be a lesser film but it's actually pretty good.

Now I'm stuck indoors all day long I really wish my films weren't all packed away but I have no idea which box has which films so I'm not going to start opening them
You might as well, you won't have anything else to do for the next three months.

You can pretend you are logging whats in the boxes so you can arrange them properly when you finally move in 2026
Old 30th March 2020, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Class Of 1999

This is such a fun movie, granted it's 21 years past the date in the title but who cares. Got Pam Grier and Patrick Kilpatrick as psychotic robot teachers, this is a complete joy, With Hollywood keen top remake movies, I'm surprised that there's not been a Class Of 2039.

Running Scared (1986)

This is the one with Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal as buddy cops who are retiring to Florida but want to put away Jimmy Smit's drug dealer before they go. This is a fine comedy/action movie that's typical from the mid 80's

The Great Escape

1st time I've seen this, found it to be enjoyable but wasn't expecting the ending though.
You do know class of 1999 is a unofficial sequel to class of 1984, And class of 1999 II the substitute .
Old 30th March 2020, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
You might as well, you won't have anything else to do for the next three months.

You can pretend you are logging whats in the boxes so you can arrange them properly when you finally move in 2026
8 of them are under a table cloth with my new 43" TV on top of them like a TV stand, I am definately not opening any of those ones

Old 30th March 2020, 09:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
8 of them are under a table cloth with my new 43" TV on top of them like a TV stand, I am definately not opening any of those ones
So where are the other 36 boxes?
Justin101 likes this.
Old 30th March 2020, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
So where are the other 36 boxes?
I just want to know where my Criterions are so I can watch Dazed and Confused for like the 400th time, that and Empire Records

Old 30th March 2020, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I just want to know where my Criterions are so I can watch Dazed and Confused for like the 400th time, that and Empire Records
Haha, yes it's approaching that time of year when i rewatch Dazed and Confused, Easy Rider, Withnail and I and other faves.

I sort of get drawn to them when the clocks go forward and BST officially begins.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

8MM (1999)

Joel Schumacher's film based on an Andrew Kevin Walker (Se7en) script is a dark and sleazy thriller (Although not quite as sleazy now as it seemed back in 1999).

Set in the grimy world of underground hardcore bondage film making, 8mm has private investigator, a more subtle Nic Cage, investigating the probable murder of a young girl by a gang making snuff films.

Cage is in excellent form as is Joaquin Phoenix as a adult video store employee who helps Cage with his investigations. It's not difficult to figure when you see the other cast members such as James Gandolfini and Peter Stormare, which side of the fence they sit and both are impressively scuzzy villains.

The general atmosphere of the film is grim with barely a chink of light to be found. It's violent naturally, but the sexual violence on show is there to disgust rather than titillate allowing Schumacher to create a dark disturbing atmosphere and ask some morality questions of the audience rather than simply taking them on a Hollywood thrill ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51XUOLBkGnL.jpg (38.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 31st March 2020, 03:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alien Beasts (1991, Carl J Sukenick)

ONCE in a lifetime comes a motion picture that changes everything. The way you look at the world. The way you look at yourself.
I have yet to find that film. Instead I watched this pile of tat. Beyond description. I recommend you avoid this one, as I no want the blame, mmmkay?
Dear me, it was funny though.

Birds Of Prey ... (Cathy Yan)

Guess what? I loved it. Mainly because it's rather violent, I admit. Whether I watch it again, we shall see ... But for now, thumbs up here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (90.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (69.3 KB, 6 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!