Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2020, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoy!! I have had fun watching this one ....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st April 2020, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cellar. 1989.

A young boy finds a ancient Comache monster in the basement of his new house, nobody believes him except the last member of the Indian tribe and decides to face his fears and face the monster.

This was a bit of a laugh more than a scare, usual new house find a door and open it and unlock its secrets, and find a hole in the wall and think nothing of it and be told of a monster that lives there can be a new pet. Patrick Kilpatrick takes the lead role of the caring parent (normally plays bad guy role) he is decent as doting father who doesn't believe his son about the monster.

The creature itself seemed to be designed and created well even though it's mobility seems small and move between three areas basement, sink hole and a oil well. Kevin Tenney took the director spot after the original director left but with having done some films before this one even he must have had laughs making this. It's worth the laughs but little to none scares.

75400-the-cellar-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
Old 1st April 2020, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Digging Up The Marrow (Adam Green)

Well, I might have "bought it" more if he didn't decide to hire Leland Palmer as the "narrator", sorry.

Don't Let Them In

This was betterer. British rural madness. When two social workers venture out into the sticks to visit a client who has gone incommunicado. What they find isn't in their manual .
Decent enough if a tad predictable ahem. Features a budget Neil Maskell

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st April 2020, 09:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Hidden, Dawn Of The Dead (2004) & Salvador

The Hidden
One of the earliest films I owned and is still as good Michael Nouri is the straight laced detective who is partnered by Kyle MacLachlan's seemingly weird FBI Agent (But you find out why) together they have to find out why random law abiding citizens suddenly go on a murderous/stealing rampage. If you haven't seen it, watch it, can't recommend it enough

Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

This is a demonstration on how to do a remake that is similar to the original but is different also. This is more fast paced compared to the original but is just as good.

Salvador

James Woods and James Belushi star in Oliver Stone's film about a down on his luck War Photographer who goes with his friend to El Salvador to get photos of the atrocities of the genocide orchestrated by a General's coup. Woods is good and Belushi adds some light relief. Whenever I would rent a Vestron Video, the trailer for this would usually pop up more often than not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vyv.jpg (11.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wdwdwdw.jpg (14.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st April 2020, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Cellar. 1989.

A young boy finds a ancient Comache monster in the basement of his new house, nobody believes him except the last member of the Indian tribe and decides to face his fears and face the monster.

This was a bit of a laugh more than a scare, usual new house find a door and open it and unlock its secrets, and find a hole in the wall and think nothing of it and be told of a monster that lives there can be a new pet. Patrick Kilpatrick takes the lead role of the caring parent (normally plays bad guy role) he is decent as doting father who doesn't believe his son about the monster.

The creature itself seemed to be designed and created well even though it's mobility seems small and move between three areas basement, sink hole and a oil well. Kevin Tenney took the director spot after the original director left but with having done some films before this one even he must have had laughs making this. It's worth the laughs but little to none scares.

Attachment 223418
I swear I've seen this, remember Patrick Kilpatrick being the good guy. Can't remember what happens though
Old 1st April 2020, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Skinner (1993) ★★★½

Dennis Skinner (Ted Raimi) seems like a normal enough guy, but he has a very abnormal hobby. At night, he creeps through the back streets looking for potential victims, and when he finds one, carefully removes their skin with an elaborate collection of knives. Heidi (Traci Lords), one of Dennis' victims, is on his trail, waiting for a chance to get her revenge, but in the meantime Dennis has developed a crush on Kerry (Rikki Lake), and wants to find a way to show her he really cares.

This is the only time I've seen Ted Raimi not play a 'goofy' character but a genuine straight role and particular one where he needs to exude a degree of menace and sadism. As the film largely hangs on the plausible portrayal of the titular character, it's fortunate that, Raimi is as adept at this form of acting as he is in the comedic roles for which he is most famous.

The writing and direction by the Hungarian filmmaker Ivan Nagy is solid, working with cinematographer Greg Littlewood and composer Contagion to create something which is aurally and visually both stylish and interesting – the music elicits feelings of intrigue and menace whilst the visuals, frequently using smoke and high contrast lighting, often with reds, blues, or greens, emphasises the atmosphere. In the scenes with 'normal' conversations and traditional lighting, dutch angles are used neatly to create an impression that something isn't quite right – it isn't.

Besides Raimi's impressive performance, Rikki Lake is very good as Skinner's landlady and Traci Lords is a no weak link as the horrendously scarred victim out for revenge on her psychopathic torturer.

This may not be the crème de la crème of serial killer films, but it's something which has flown beneath the radar to the point where I hadn't seen it prior to buying the 101 Films dual format release.

I have enjoyed watching Skinner and I'm grateful that 101 Films have given it a range of interviews and such clear high definition picture and sound on the Blu-ray Disc.

Been looking at this one, might pick it when next able to
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st April 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)

Although not quite as good as the first National Treasure film this is still a fun ride with a fantastic cast who seem to be having a ball.

Recommended if you want to watch an Indiana Jones film with Nic Cage as Jones.

It's a shame Disney no longer make movies like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book_of_secrets_post.jpg (24.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st April 2020, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Other films I saw before I started posting

Police Story

Jackie Chan and his team at their amazing/crazy best. Completely in awe, the film was good but too much comedy for my liking.

Police Story 2

More craziness from the team, thought this one was better than the first one.

Showdown In Little Tokyo
Amazing Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee actioner, really faced paced, can't recommend it enough

Platoon

Heard so much about this one, I liked it but felt that it didn't live up to the hype I gave it.

Amazon Women On The Moon

Picked it up on sale, figured to get it due to the then possibility of a lockdown, good skit movie apart from the wake scene.

American Flyers

When I started getting into films, one of the earliest memories from my local Video Magic was reading the magazine the shop produces to advertise the month's releases and the name American Flyers along with it's cover fills me with nostalgia. Had to get it from Amazon (I believe an import) because (Even though Kevin Costner is in it) I couldn't find it anywhere whether in the 90's or in the current DVD/Blu Ray era in the UK. It had a slow start but it got so much better. I thought that it would be one of those films that would be better in it's day but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed watching it

Student Bodies

Good start but dragged at the end, which isn't really good for a 85 minute film. Maybe have better feelings for it if I had seen it in the 80's

New Jack City

One of my all time favorites, should have been nominated for Oscars. Wesley Snipes was a revelation in this film along with Chris Rock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps.jpg (11.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ps2.jpg (14.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg silt.jpg (9.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg p.jpg (15.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg awotm.jpg (11.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg af.jpg (14.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sb.jpg (11.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg njc.jpg (9.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 1st April 2020, 10:49 PM
Active Cultist

movies 4.jpg

Since the start of the Covid outbreak, I found myself with more time to watch movies - my job is on hold for a full month.. So without leaving the safety of my house, I went around the world and watched some movies

Akinjeon (The Gangster, the Cop, the Devil) -South Korea 2019

I started my journey in South Korea with a thriller. A cop joins forces with a yakuza leader to find a serial killer - here we go again, Korea knows how to do a nice fast thriller, the only issue about this movie it's if you saw a couple of Korean thillers you know already what to expect - a hard cop, fights, knifes and a bad ass serial killer - still recommend if anyone likes Korean cinema.

Extra Ordinary - Ireland 2019

Rose, a sweet, lonely driving instructor in rural Ireland, is gifted with supernatural abilities.

This movie shows how a silly idea can be funny - the movie never takes himself serious, and that's is the best part, it's non sense, it's funny - it's a light comedy with some horror elements. Recommend.

Der goldene Handschuh (Golden Glove) - Germany 2019

A serial killer strikes fear in the hearts of residents of Hamburg during the early 1970s.

Wow! What a movie - didn't really know what to expect but this is something else, the portait of the serial killer it's amazing - it's disgusting sometimes but it worth a watch, it holds you until the end - show the real people and the real problems like alchoolism, solitude. If you like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, or Brutti, sporchi e cattivi this is a movie for you.

The Falcon and the Snowman - Usa 1985

Omg - took me 3 days to finish this movie, it's just plain boring. Avoid at all costs.

M.F.A - Usa 2017

An art student taps into a rich source of creative inspiration after the accidental slaughter of her rapist. An unlikely vigilante emerges, set out to avenge college girls whose attackers walked free.

Rape and revenge movies, are always difficult to watch for me, I remember the first movie I watched still a young kid with a rape scene was The Accused (1988) - it made me feel sick for sometime, since that time, two other movies made me feel uncomfortable with that situation, I spit in your grave (not much but it's not pleasant to watch) and Irréversible - now I can add M.F.A to the list, here we don't have one, but two scenes of rape - the movie it's a classic, rape victim goes after the bad guys - the difference between this movie and others with the same subject for me was the dialogues, and the main actress Francesca Eastwood (it's a good thing she doesn't take the looks for her dad) she bring the character to life. Recommend if you enjoy a good revenge movie, but remember this is a low budget no fancy kills or gore
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Zombeavers (2014)

Mutated zombie beavers attack dumb teens. Firstly on a raft in the middle of a lake (Think Creepshow 2's The Raft segment) and then at their cabin in the woods in a second half that is basically Zombie beavers do Assault on Precinct 13.

The zombie beavers look dodgy as hell in a stuffed teddy bear kind of way but the film is utterly bonkers and is a slight (as in non-CGI) improvement over the usual mutated creatures dreck.

A fun watch and you'll know by the title if this is your thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 912+KDEhEwL._SY445_.jpg (29.4 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!