Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Superb review, Inspector.
Old 5th April 2020, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Escape From The Bronx. 1983

A corporation tries to kill the last inhabitants of The Bronx in order to build their own high rise building. Street gang leader Trash, a bombmaker and his son and a activist try to stop them.

The third installment of Castellari warrior movies, this one seemed to have influenced Robocop 3, a heavy corporation going through a area for clearing and make way for their plans, instead of Robocop we get street tough guy Trash (Mark Gregory returns from the first movie). Ennio Girolami stars as the Corp president, with Paolo Marco as his second in command and Henry Silva as the sadistic leader of the clearing up.

This one seemed to start off slow then builds up again, I wouldn't take it seriously as some of the fights seem comedic aswell the timing of the gun battles, I'm sure one guy got shot saw the camera and thought that's my que and tried to put some style in dying. Paolo Malco seen in some Fulci movies doesn't seem out of place as the vice president and can never get bored of Henry Silva as the bad guy.

52114-escape-from-the-bronx-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg
Old 5th April 2020, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Escape From The Bronx. 1983

A corporation tries to kill the last inhabitants of The Bronx in order to build their own high rise building. Street gang leader Trash, a bombmaker and his son and a activist try to stop them.

The third installment of Castellari warrior movies, this one seemed to have influenced Robocop 3, a heavy corporation going through a area for clearing and make way for their plans, instead of Robocop we get street tough guy Trash (Mark Gregory returns from the first movie). Ennio Girolami stars as the Corp president, with Paolo Marco as his second in command and Henry Silva as the sadistic leader of the clearing up.

This one seemed to start off slow then builds up again, I wouldn't take it seriously as some of the fights seem comedic aswell the timing of the gun battles, I'm sure one guy got shot saw the camera and thought that's my que and tried to put some style in dying. Paolo Malco seen in some Fulci movies doesn't seem out of place as the vice president and can never get bored of Henry Silva as the bad guy.

Attachment 223515
My favourite out of the 3

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th April 2020, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post

Aside from the negativity I added to it...i actually enjoyed it, even with the fun facts on.
Old 5th April 2020, 09:34 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post

Same here! Just love this one.
Demoncrat, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th April 2020, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Honey I Blew Up The Kid, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow & Eraser

Honey I Blew Up The Kid

Sequel to Honey I Shrunk The Kids only this time it's the young toddler you gets with a machine that makes him over 50ft tall. If you like the 1st one, you'll like this one. I prefer this one to the other one.

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

Jackie Chan flick, obviously the Martial Art scenes are a joy to behold but I really couldn't get into the general story. Shame really as I heard good things about it.

Eraser

Slightly forgotten Schwarzenegger action flick where he erases witnesses identities but a falls into a conspiracy involving a large weapons manufacturer and fellow officers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hibutk.jpg (6.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sites.jpg (12.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (10.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th April 2020, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Doctor Sleep (2019)

What an odd fragmented film this was. Or at least the first hour. Jumping from scene to scene with barely any linking narrative, it felt like i was watching additional scenes as a dvd special feature.

It was only during the second half that Doctor Sleep felt like a fully fledged and scripted movie especially the final forty minutes as we again ended up at the Overlook Hotel, drug induced orange and black carpets and all.

Despite my reservations, and i do aim to watch this again quite soon, the film was beautifully acted. Newcomer Kyliegh Curran was excellent as a child with the 'gift' of the Shining and Ewan McGregor was wonderfully sympathetic in his talks with dying patients in his job as a hospital orderly. The standout was definitely Rebecca Ferguson as the brilliant new Stephen King creation Rose the Hat, leader of a gang of psychic vampires. Ferguson's performance had everything i could ask for in a female villain.

Doctor Sleep was never frightening nor unsettling - perhaps this was a result of the disjointed first half - but it was come the end, a stylish and largely enjoyable ride.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cannonball Run. 1981.

An oddball assortment of people take part in a illegal drive of 3000 miles and try every trick to cheat and win.

With a good cast from Burt Reynolds, Sir Roger Moore (with his charm in a parody to his Bond character), Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin, Dom DeLuise, Adrienne Barbeau and Farrah Fawcett, actually make this film full of laughs from start to finish. Even Jackie Chan makes his first American feature film debut who doesn't like to walk away from a fight. The jokes and gags come quick and funny with the attempt to cheat and get out of a speeding ticket.

images.jpg
Old 5th April 2020, 11:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

BEN HUR (1959)

At the time of Christ, Jewish Prince Judah Ben-Hur falls foul of his Roman friend Messala and is sent to the galleys and his mother and sister sent to prison.
Judah vows to return for revenge..

Epic spectacular, highlighted by a fantastic chariot race.
Miklos Rotza's best soundtrack score.
Old 6th April 2020, 11:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HARPOON – Twisty indie black comedy set on a boat, where a sexually tense trio with Polanskian affinities (as in, tendencies to reference ‘Knife in the Water’) have fun with not-a-harpoon. If you like sassy headplay, then this might be up your alley because it does strive for that kind of thing at the start, although for me it worked better after it ditched the stabs at cynicism and went for the gore, which is present to a surprising degree later on.

SLAUGHTER HIGH – Dick Randall. He was all over cheapshit exploitation movies in the seventies and eighties, though for many fans the ‘holy trinity’ of Randall productions would be ‘Pieces’, ‘Don’t Open Till Christmas’ and this. Tad disappointed when I resaw it the other week, as its memorable bits seemed diluted by too much messing around. Plenty of silliness to lap up though, and I liked how it all went dreamy and mental at the end. An Alice Cooperish theme whose lyrics are all film-related is always a plus – why does no-one do that nowadays?

READY OR NOT – Bride who marries into an old money family discovers that the rich are a bunch of murderous tossers who play meaningless games that end in violent death! How’s that for a revelation? So, it’s a kind of hide-and-seek set-up in a plush mansion with various contrived kills. In that, it has a vague whiff of the far better ‘You’re Next’ about it, although some may disagree on both those points. I mean, it’s OK and entertaining enough I suppose, but I remember thinking “this is just a conventional film, really,” at one point, and thence felt a bit tired.

COME TO DADDY – Elijah Wood stars as a slightly feeble hipster meeting his estranged dad in an isolated house. If Elijah’s wondering why everything seems so shady and how come his dad’s such a mind gamey arsehole, it’s cos he’s stuck in the atmospheric first thirty minutes of a modern neon type thriller that later on goes out of its way to seem over the top and twisty. It mostly works, being very slick, well put together and entertaining. I was expecting something more warped from a guy who had a big hand in ‘The Greasy Strangler’, but, good.

THE GIRL ON THE THIRD FLOOR – Mmm, slight surprise, I was thinking I’d get something that was just a bit Netflixy. But TGOTTF is a strange one, bit of straight brute gore in places, bit of Cronenbergy slime time in others. It features that ex-wrestler who here is a bit of a fake ‘modern dad’ type (in that he tries to be right on but is still at base a philandering cro-mag) in the middle of renovating his new house, which so happens to have once been a very shadowy brothel. Spirits of former establishment have not yet been ‘laid’ to rest, and take Punk down with some grotty moves of their own. The gender politics seem a bit opportunistic, but the unexpected gloopiness (in places) is impressive and the spook-house atmospherics work out well. How can you knock a film with BB’s ‘Bad Penny’ on the end credits? Think Albini did some of the soundtrack, too. Whatever, I’d say that it’s definitely worth seeing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!