LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2020, 01:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Needful Things (1993) ★★★★

Quote:
A mysterious new shop opens in a small town which always seems to stock the deepest desires of each shopper, with a price far heavier than expected.
I haven't read the Stephen King novel on which this is based so I'll have to take the story as it is rather than as it could/should be.

The premise is quite simple: the residents of Castle Rock initially welcome a seemingly benign elderly shopkeeper only to find their behaviour significantly changes after buying something from his establishment, the titular Needful Things. As the townsfolk begin turning on each other, in increasingly violent and destructive ways, it is clear the shopkeeper isn't in he purports to be.

Based on the commentary by director Fraser C. Heston, a film which was faithful to the book would run about seven hours and this took some necessary liberties, including removing at least one character. As it is, the narrative flows extremely well and characters are very well rounded and engaging.

The film benefits from solid direction and a great cast, this isn't a film which feels as if it is reliant on star power – it works so well because the characters come alive on screen and are part of what is ostensibly a very good story.

Watching this Blu-ray release was like seeing the film for the first time again – I saw it for the first time a few years ago on a DVD with a pan and scan picture – and it's a movie with darkness, levity, and real tension in parts.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (2018) ★★★½

Quote:
On the rocky path to sobriety after a life-changing accident, John Callahan discovers the healing power of art, willing his injured hands into drawing hilarious, often controversial cartoons, which bring him a new lease on life.
The trailer makes this look like an offbeat comedy, something darkly humorous in a way which reflects the comedy in John Callaghan's cartoons. There are seeds and moments of levity but the film as a whole is actually quite reflective and soulful, looking more at Callaghan journey to sobriety through the 12 Steps of AA and his relationship with Donnie, the 12 Step group leader

As Donnie, Jonah Hill gives possibly the finest performance of his career and is nearly the equal of Joaquim Phoenix, a supremely talented actor whose portrayal of the paralysed alcoholic is utterly convincing.

Gus Van Sant has helped to write a very thoughtful and worthy adaptation of Callaghan's memoir, the book of the same name as the film, and his direction and editing lead to something which is – because of the subject material – slightly repetitive and tonally uneven. If it was done differently and was a typical-style biopic the paralysed person, it would be far more saccharine and upbeat movie.

As it is, it's a film which I enjoyed and appreciated – it's not one of Van Sant's best, but one I'll definitely watch again after revisiting Callahan's writings and drawings.

Old 6th April 2020, 01:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Cruising (1980) ★★★★

Quote:
A serial killer brutally slays and dismembers several gay men in New York’s S/M and leather districts. The young police officer Steve Burns is sent undercover onto the streets as decoy for the murderer. Working almost completely isolated from his department, he has to learn and practice the complex rules and signals of this little society.
Cruising is ostensibly a police procedural drama, a film in which Steve Burns, a cop who has yet to make detective, must go undercover to catch a killer. However, with the subject material involving New York City's leather scene in the late 1970s and with William Friedkin as director, it's not going to be for everyone.

I think it's extremely good film because it seems authentic – the fact Friedkin filmed in real locations and with the real patrons of those bars, often with real sex and/or S&M taking place means this isn't exactly a Miss Marple! At the time, these led to protests because many people felt Friedkin was demonising the gay community, but it's always seemed to me that Cruising does not have an agenda regarding the setting or the victims, – it's a film which is solely concerned with following Burns and how he changes during his dangerous assignment.

Although Al Pacino wasn't first choice to play Burns and I can only imagine what it would have been like with Richard Gere playing the young cop risking his life to catch a serial killer, Pacino is completely convincing and realistically twitchy and nervous in some dangerous situations.

It's a film which, like Donnie Brasco, makes you realise what a physical and psychological toll undercover work takes on the police who do it and how it must affect their professional and personal lives and relationships. Because Friedkin does not want an audience to settle and not emotionally or cognitively and emotionally challenged, Cruising is a occasionally tough film to watch, but one I rate very highly.

Interestingly, Friedkin was drawn to the film after first rejecting the chance to buy the option to the book on which it is based when he learned that Paul Bateson, who played a radiological technologist in The Exorcist, had been convicted of murder, and that the victim was one of a number of gay men who had been murdered. One of the bars frequented by Bateson victim, The Mineshaft, is the setting for at least one of the key scenes in Cruising.
Old 6th April 2020, 04:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bitter Victory (1957)

A decent if unspectacular war drama about a mission by British troops to steal Rommel's battle plans during the Libya campaign in WWII.

After a fairly slow opening forty minutes things pick up considerably but there's a dearth of action and the usual 'soldiers in the desert' tropes pop up - lack of water, poisoned wells, cowardly officers, sand storms.

Whilst stars Richard Burton and Curt Jurgens are good in a strong central conflict and Christopher Lee has a decent co-star role the lack of any real action or German threat keeps this mostly on the mediocre side although it should be noted that some of director Nicholas Ray's compositions are beautiful examples of cinema.

For far superior desert war films try the following years Sea of Sand and the Bogart classic Sahara (1943).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bitvicpos.jpg (33.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th April 2020, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Cobra (1986)

Cobra.
Sylvester Stallone is no nonsense detective, who does things his way or not at all. He also has a nice line in dialogue as he blast’s his way through the criminal fraternity... Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
As you can tell Cobra or Marion to his friends, although he seems to have more enemies on both sides of the law, than friends. Has been taking a leaf out of certain Harry Callahan’s book with plenty of not so witty remarks to elevate the tension before he blow’s away a suspected villain. Well as it happens there are a gang of psychopathic killers welding axes and knifes and generally causing mischief and mayhem in the area. And it’s left to Sly and his partner on the zombie squad to hunt down these maniacs. On The way he meets the rather tall but gorgeous Brigitte Nielsen who is the only witness and is now very much on the gang of killers wanted list or there mailing list, which ever is the deadlier of the two. You know your not going to get anything to brain taxing with a Stallone movie, but even by his standards this is stupid, still dumb equals fun, and it has its moments, but would of been a better film if they had made it slightly more edgier, much better is the Stallone and Rutger Hauger terrorism flick Nighthawks.

Old 6th April 2020, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Mission of Justice, The Blob (1988), American Ninja & The Silence Of The Lambs

Mission Of Justice
A straight to video actioner starring Jeff Wincott as a former policeman who infiltrates Mayor wannabe Bridgette Nielsen's vigilante group so he can avenge his friend's murder. Standard story really but entertaining. Released on DVD by budget label MIA back when DVD's were in it's infancy. Basically when most DVD's were costing 15-20 pounds, MIA were only costing 10 pounds. If you like your straight to video Martial Art films, give this one a try

The Blob (1988)

Remake of the Steve McQueen film where a organism from outer space crashes on Earth and starts killing off the local residents of a small town, the effects are still good today and is gory in places. For a film that's over 30 years old, it still olds up today. Had to get it on import but I'm guessing it's in rights hell for the UK, it should have had a UK DVD release otherwise

American Ninja

Michael Dudikoff stars as a loner soldier who is trained in the mysterious arts of the Ninja. He ends up taking on a corrupt Army General who is in a partnership with an arms dealer. The arms dealer just happens to have an army of Ninjas who are lead by a Master Ninja. The fight scenes are good but I'm pretty sure that the DVD I have is cut because you didn't see many sword deaths and the BBFC don't like lingering sword deaths or cut throat scenes. (I don't have the 88 Films Blu Ray Collection) It's a good film but drags on near the end

The Silence Of The Lambs

Other than a few scenes, I hadn't seen this in full. It's strengths are the performances of Anthony Hopkins & Jodie Foster otherwise other than some scenes of gory violence, it's just a murder thriller. I liked it but I believe there are better films out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moj.jpg (11.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tb.jpg (13.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg an.jpg (13.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tsotl.jpg (11.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th April 2020, 11:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Glass House: The Good Mother (2006)

Upon watching this film i realise the mistake i made. Although a good thriller it's so similar to the original Glass House, as in it's the same story, that it felt more like a remake than sequel. Watching the two films not six months apart detracted from this well made sequel.

Having said that, Angie Harmon (think a scary Stepford Wife crossed with an extremely Desperate Housewife) was terrific, better than Diane Lane in the original, and one scene, just one, involving washing dishes, had my spine shuddering and my teeth clenching with queasiness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51bJm-MMPRL._SY445_.jpg (24.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th April 2020, 11:21 PM
Cult Addict

Spider-man - Into the Spider-verse.

91p0I6he-UL._RI_.jpg

I really enjoyed this.

I'd read the reviews saying it was the best thing ever, so as you do i put it on not expecting it to be all that.

Well all i can say is that i was enthralled, it was entertaining, smart and really interestingly animated and edited superbly, if you are a Spiderman fan it references so much stuff.

I grew up on the comics up to the early 80's but have kinda lost track of all the new stuff since, this throws a multitude of Spiderman variations at you and still it all makes sense and doesn't get confusing.

The animation is superb, it's quite trippy in places and at points feels like it's going into 2001 stargate territory.

Needed something to get my mind off all this heavy shit lately and this worked a treat.

9/10

Recommended.

45eee042-4eee-45a5-905a-44c63c86f3d3.sized-1000x1000.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th April 2020, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Bring It On, Tightrope & Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

Bring It On

Fun Cheerleading film starring Kirsten Dunst, released in 2000 (I know it's 20years old) it's still entertaining till this day. Unfortunately it suffered the straight to DVD sequels starring no-one we've ever heard off fate.

Tightrope

Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry type movie (Even though it's not) where he's trying to catch a serial killer murdering hookers with him actually visiting them himself and using S&M. I got the Al Pacino Crusing vibe from this film which was decent from the start but lost steam around 30 minutes from the end.

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

Steven Seagal sequel to the excellent original where this time he's aboard a train with his niece (A Teenage Katherine Heigel) which is taken over by Terrorists who are lead by a great performance by Eric Bogosian who plays a madman rather convincingly. Whilst not as good as Under Siege, it's still an entertaining watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bio.jpg (13.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg t.jpg (13.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg us2dt.jpg (9.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th April 2020, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Bring It On

Fun Cheerleading film starring Kirsten Dunst, released in 2000 (I know it's 20years old) it's still entertaining till this day. Unfortunately it suffered the straight to DVD sequels starring no-one we've ever heard off fate.
I've got all the sequels. None are truly awful with most pretty decent. I couldn't tell you which were the better ones as they kinda blend into one.

Sure they don't feature Kirsten Dunst but the likes of Christina Milian who starred in the fourth one (i think) and Hayden Panettiere who was in All or Nothing ,was quite a star at the time thanks to Heroes, aren't total nobodies we've ever heard of.

The original is by far the best though.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!