Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179414Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2020, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Cool Runnings, 3 From Hell & Dragged Across Concrete

Cool Runnings

I'm guessing one of the most fondly remembered live action Disney movies telling the story of the 1st ever Jamaican Bobsled team. Still really good and still raises a smile to my face.

3 From Hell

This comes after House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects. This time 2 of the 3 escape and team up with their brother and escape to Mexico. Real shame that Sid Haig wasn't in this for long but knowing why it's understandable. Not sure if there is going to be another one but this felt just like a continuation of the story.

Dragged Across Concrete

Mel Gibson & Vince Vaughn star as 2 suspended cops who decide to rip off a criminal gang. At 2 and half hours it is a slow burner and has plenty of character development but has some action scenes in it to prevent boredom. If you like movies that a slow burn then this is for you but not if you like your films to be more action packed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr.jpg (15.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3fh.jpg (15.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dac.jpg (11.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th April 2020, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From a whisper to a scream. 1987.

After seeing a girl dying by lethal injection, reporter Beth Chandler goes to a small town in Tennessee to meet the girl's uncle, a local historian who tell her 4 tales about the town.

1st. A old worker who cares for his sister tries to romance a young woman only for it to end badly for both of them.

2nd. A con on the run from debt collectors runs into a hermit who tells him the secrets of eternal life.

3rd. A glass eater at a carnival falls prey to the owner who dabbles in voodoo.

4th. A small squad of civil war soldier arrives at a town inhabited by children who have strange intentions for them.

Horror legend Vincent Price plays the local historian and story teller to reporter Susan Tyrell each one with a unexpected twist, with the tales they seems to get darker and more sinister and never seem to get a good outcome. What suprised me with this anthology is the story's seem to be lame then they actually get better with some good actors in them. Fans of anthology films will enjoy this.

from a whisper.jpg
Old 13th April 2020, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Boy (2010, Taika Watiti)

His debut. A charming wee thing, mainly due to the titular performance. TW plays an estranged father who returns to the homestead looking for ... something other than reconnecting with his brood it seems. Not quite Mike Leigh territory though, as various fantastic interludes break up the narrative, to reasonable effect. I laughed a lot, and sighed at the darker elements.
Recommended!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B.jpg (31.6 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2020, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Spirit Trap (2005)

Unfairly panned by critics on release, as a first time viewing some fifteen years on i found Spirit Trap and agreeable and quietly atmospheric time waster.

This British effort boldly goes nowhere that any supernatural hasn't gone before and admittedly it is fairly formulaic, but i found the characters (and actors) watchable and the idea of the spirit trap or spirit clock (i'd love one of those creepy things) as a sort of portal to witness murderous events that happened in the house's past, rather novel.

I'm not going to recommend Spirit Trap as the rest of the world and their dog think it's garbage, but when i saw it in the very early hours of Sunday morning, i liked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Spirit_Trap_FilmPoster.jpeg (20.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 14th April 2020, 12:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Screamtime. 1983.

Two boys steal a couple of tapes from a video shop and watch them with a third person and are shown three short stories.

1. That's the way to do it: a Punch and Judy puppeteer bringing in little money from his shows, his wife thinks he is a failure, his own son torments and bullies him until someone or something takes revenge.

2. Dreamhouse: A couple move in to a new house and the wife believes it to be haunted.

3. Do you believe in fairies? A young man takes on a job at a gardener for two elderly sisters, they tell him that the gnomes and fairies help, when he and his brother try and rob the house something is watching them.

This may not be the best British anthology film, it is very low budget and little blood splatter and some funny blink and miss moments but certainly entertaining, the story's in this are a bit creepy and have a good twisty endings to them, the only downside daft thing is the ending that made it stupid. worth a glance.

MV5BN2MxZjJkM2EtZDk1ZC00YjhlLTk4MzAtMjAwZWQ1NmM4YTY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 14th April 2020, 12:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Truth (2020, Luykis Wamhoff)

Decent enough FFer. A young man investigates some strange activity at his mother's behest after an unexplainable incident. The epitome of "shaky cam" as it's filmed "on his phone" cough. After some rather familiar incidents follow, he pulls in a friend to help with his queries. Whilst the ending could have been scarier (shiny costume!) it kept my interest. For a first attempt, it was far better than that Incident At Montauk, if only because of his performance ahem. Few brand names in this, so I can guess where he got the $ for it haha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th April 2020, 05:01 PM
Cult Master

Old 14th April 2020, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm pretty sure we all told you so
Nordicdusk likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th April 2020, 05:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

S-0020_Saturn_3_quad_movie_poster_l.jpg
SATURN 3 (1980)

At an experimental food station ran by two people on Saturn 3, the unhinged Capt. Benson arrives with new robot 'Hector'. Benson patches in to 'Hector' via brain link.
Hector learns all about Benson through this link and so takes on his murderous nature and the lust for Saturn 3 worker Alex..

This movie does take a lot of flack. A lot of that due to what was going on behind the scenes. Looks like a lot was cut out and re-assembled. So much so that much of the music score as well was re-assembled or now missing altogether.
The inside of the station looks good due to John Barry who was production designer on Star Wars and Superman. I think the scenes with 'Hector' are great and the music that accompanies him is very sinister.
Old 14th April 2020, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm pretty sure we all told you so
I didn't because I haven't watched it

Like this? Share it using the links below!