Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Addict

main.jpg

After playing the game the other week i set about rewatching the Paramount Friday the 13th films for the first time in over 10 years and i was surprised by my reaction to a few, some i didn't rate at the time moved up my ratings and some dropped.

Here is my ranking.

MV5BYWE5YzI0YWItMzkyMi00ODgzLThjNTAtYzVlMmZjZDA2ZWFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

4 - The Final Chapter.
6 - Jason Lives
7 - The New Blood
Part 3
Part 2
Friday the 13th
5 - A New Beginning
8 - Jason Takes Manhatten

Pta.jpg

All were enjoyable, undemanding and easy to watch at around 90 mins a piece,
I really disliked part 8 at the time but it was watchable enough although dragged a bit in places, still the worst one of these though.

Part 2 was always one of my favourites, but i found the fact that half the councillors disappeared down the pub left me a bit deflated as i was looking forward to more kills.

ti110156.jpg

I remember being disappointed with the later ones on VHS but realise now that a lot of gore scenes were cut at the time, bit of a shame really as that was always the series selling point.

The Final chapter is still my favourite, it's still original brutal Jason but has more interesting characters than the early ones and some classic kills and
dancing.

friday-the-13th-the-final-chapter-movie-review-podcast.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for 7, it's just goofy ridiculous fun so can't face putting it any further down the list.

Friday_the_13th_Part_VII_-_The_New_Blood_(1988)_theatrical_poster.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Paganini Horror & Double Impact

Paganini Horror

Well it least it was short. A Rock Band use some old Classical Music which then causes them to get murdered. All I can say is if you watched it when it 1st came out and it was one of the 1st Horror Movies you saw, maybe just maybe, you will hold it in higher regard. Watching it for the 1st time in 2020 is not a good thing.

Double Impact

After Blood Sport, Kickboxer & A.W.O.L, Jean Claude Van Damme was my favorite actor and every new release in the video shop was the film I wanted to rent the most (I don't have that feeling regarding a Actor having a new film out being a most see ASAP) Whilst this story of Van Damme playing 2 brothers seeking revenge on the Criminals who murdered their parents isn't my favorite film of his, it is still an enjoyable watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pi.jpg (14.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg di.jpg (14.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombie Brigade. 1988.

When a small town mayor proposes to build a amusement park on a burial ground, the dead rise up and seek revenge on the living.

This was very low budget and the zombies haven't really lost their marbles and seem to have mud on their faces, sharp teeth and that's the new look of the 80s zombies from Australia. It doesn't have much going for it except some of the acting is passable, the main actors do try their best not to make a muck up of it. I think it be listed as a bad movie that's funny to watch
Old 24th April 2020, 12:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Bury The Living. 1958.

A cemetery director discovers by changing the plots on a a map from being empty to occupied the people around him start dying mysteriously.

This may seem like a cheap amateurish movie that looks and sounds daft, don't be fooled by it, this was a enjoyable 50s flick. Richard Boone plays the caretaker of the cemetery who moves the pins on the map and soon people start dying and he doesn't believe it's coincidence. It does have a great background score that mixes with the mystery of the map and does have a interesting ending that may baffle a bit.

MV5BMTgyOTU2OTIxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjg1NDcyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 24th April 2020, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Critters, Life Force & The Burning

Critters
Alien creatures escape from a space prison and make it to Earth where they invade a small town and terrorize a family on a farm. Alien Bounty Hunters who are able to change faces arrive to assist. Not sure if this was meant to be a serious Horror movie back in 1986 but today as a Comic Horror film, it's still a lot of fun. By The Way, I love the original VHS front cover and the RCA Colombia logo. I also remember watching Critters 2 more than once, certainly going to give that a go soon.

Life Force

Space Vampires arrive to cause chaos on Earth, I really couldn't get into this one. The effects really didn't look all that great. Oh well.

The Burning

A Camp Caretaker is burned alive and 5 years later he stalks and kills a group of Teenagers. Very similar to Friday The 13th but it's entertaining and considering Tom Savani was involved the Effects were gory and bloody. Just what you want to see in this type of movie. This is one of my favorite Video Nasties
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.jpg (15.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg l.jpg (11.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tb.jpg (12.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th April 2020, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

M.O.M.
On Netflix or Prime, I cannot remember which. Shot on hidden cams, phones, etc but don't let that put you off. An over zealous mother is worried her 16 year old son is about to commit an atrocity like a school shooting. She secretly films him around the house and starts a blog trying to warn other mothers of the dangers of having a psychopath as a son. After 10 minutes I nearly turned off but stick with it and you might find yourself pleasantly surprised like I did. Wait till the end of the credits (Marvel style) for the last bit.

Trauma.
No, not the one you're thinking of, this effort is from director Lucio Rojas in Chille. Wow! Nasty, nasty, nasty. Probably the most vile and disturbing film I've seen since A Serbian Film. That is no recommendation by the way! A group of girls in a cabin held hostage by a severely deranged man and his son. I cannot even write down the carnage and sexual deviation portrayed in this. If you want to see it you'll have to import the BD as there is no way the BBFC would pass this.

Room 237.
Conspiracy documentary on the many theories abounding about Kubricks version of The Shining. As there are so many different interpretations it skates past as many as it can, some well worth a thought or two, some preposterous depending on your own preconceived ideas. Worth a watch if you love the film but ultimately I found it lacking and a bit boring to be honest.

Suspiria.

The remake. I wanted to like this, I hoped it would be good. I was wrong. Utter pretentious bollocks that made me wish I could catch Covid 19. In the list of worst remakes ever made this must be in the top three. The best place for this disc is in your microwave where you can watch pretty blue lights sparkle across the disc, much more entertaining than actually wasting precious hours of your life watching the feature.
Old 25th April 2020, 05:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence. 1992.

When a female cop is gunned down during a robbery and is accused of excessive force, with a help of a voodoo priest, Matt Cordell rises from the grave to seek retribution.

This was a decent solid sequel even though 3/4 of the film is set in a hospital and seems to not go anywhere but Cordell seems to have a lot available to use in his way of justice served. Robert Davi returns as the detective from the second film and Robert Z'Dar as Matt Cordell. There is some good action sequences but seem to be far apart from the previous two films and little suspense build ups but i'm sure we are rooting for Matt to kill people.

MV5BMjFiMDExZDQtYjE2ZS00YjEyLWJkOTUtZGY3ZjY5ZTZlZGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Old 25th April 2020, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just a heads up!

The excellent British found footage horror The Borderlands is on BBC2 at ten past midnight tonight.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17092941273_8ca1038fa4_b (Medium).jpg (98.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 25th April 2020, 08:23 PM
Cult Addict

Haven't really posted up a review here for a while, but here's what I've been watching over the past while, been too busy working
Screenshot_20200425_212149_com.letterboxd.letterboxd.jpg

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2020, 08:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Secret Screams (aka Grave Secrets). 1989.

A woman reaches out to a parapsychologist as she believes she is being haunted by something from beyond the grave. As the ghost hunting goes on there is more that's haunting the woman.

This could have been good if some behind the scenes wold have taken it seriously, the main leads Paul Le Mat and Renee Soutendijk do try to keep to it entertaining, even a small appearance by David Warner becoming possessed was a bit creepy, but there is a few plot holes with Lee Ving's character who some how appears to be a jealous man then disappears only to return to meet a ghost. The effects seem to be something you would see out of a children's ghost story. Not the best ghost story film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!