Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2020, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Birds of Prey

Dear God in heaven that was awful probably the worst film I've seen in the last decade, truly terrible with no redeeming qualities , with a super annoying kid , unlikable characters and juvenile humour but not in a good way, Christ never seen anyone so badly miscast as ewan mcgregor! 2/10

Snatchers

That's more like it a highly enjoyable comedy horror that's has great gore and is actually funny with a likable cast of characters . A high school girl sleeps with her boy friend n fear of losing him and her social status, she awakes next morning 9 months pregnant which is only the start of her problems. 8/10

Now watching The Omen a film that still creeps me out just as much as when I watched it as a kid.
Old 1st May 2020, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Omen

While it's neither partially scary or gory it has a unnerving and chilling atmosphere . A classic that's brilliantly acted and directed. That kid is so ****ing evil looking, enough to put anyone of having kids! 10/10
Old 1st May 2020, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The Omen

While it's neither partially scary or gory it has a unnerving and chilling atmosphere . A classic that's brilliantly acted and directed. That kid is so ****ing evil looking, enough to put anyone of having kids! 10/10
Omen a fantastic trilogy
Did you know how they decided on who played the part .

Four-year-old Harvey Stephens won the role of Damien during a group audition, when director Richard Donner asked the potential little Antichrists to attack him the way Damien attacks Katherine (Lee Remick) in the church. Stephens went further than the other boys, clawing Donner's face and kicking him in the junk. That won Stephens the part, but Donner still didn't think he was scary enough, so he had the blonde boy's hair dyed black.

But here 10 facts about omen

http:///www.moviefone.com/2016/06/24/the-omen-facts/

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 1st May 2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Removing the Google affiliate link
Old 1st May 2020, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default From Beyond, Black Eagle & Cliffhanger

From Beyond

A mad scientist is able to enhance a part of the Brain which enhances creatures from another dimension. His assistant (Jeffrey Combs) is accused of his murder and placed in a Mental Hospital where Psychologist (Barbara Crampton) takes him and a Detective (Ken Foree) back and recreate the experiment. It works and brings back other creatures and the Scientist, of course all hell breaks loose. Not bad, most of the F/X still looks alright all things considering.

Oh yeah, seeing the picture of the VHS front cover in the center pages of the Video Shop Rental Magazine bloody scared me when I first saw it (I was 6 at the time lol)

Black Eagle

Sho Kosugi is the Spy operative sent to retrieve a top secret weapon which is at the bottom of a sea in Malta. Jean Claude-Van Damme is part of the Russian Unit also after it. Kosugi's sons are also in this. It was good back in it's day but by today's standards, it's rather tame (If they cut out the broken neck scenes, ITV could show it on a Sunday Afternoon) but it's not bad fodder for 90 minutes.

Cliffhanger

Sylvester Stallone film where he's a Mountain Rescuer who is forced by Robbers lead John Lithgow to retrieve stolen money that are in the Mountains. It's good but it's one of those films I forget about unless I come across it. It's not one of those films I think about when I decide what film to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fb.jpg (13.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg be.jpg (11.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 1st May 2020, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The Omen

I put a lot of why horror is effective is down to the soundtrack, and the music to the Omen still freaks me out.
gag and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Prisoners (2013)

A taut, tense thriller from Denis Villeneuve about child abduction and the fallout and impact it has on those affected by it.

It's beautifully acted by Hugh Jackman,who proves there's much more to him than mere teeth, claws and top hats, Jake Gyllenhaal, (a fantastic noirish detective) Paul Dano, Viola Davis and co who perform wonders with a cleverly complex and absorbing script which gives you clues from the off, if you realise they are clues of course.

Roger Deakins photography is as beautiful as ever even though he paints the Pennsylvania with a cold brush of greys and dark greens so if you don't get chills from the story you will from the stark cinematography.

At two and a half hours Prisoners is a long film but Villeneuve wastes not a second with some meticulous character building and story telling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prisoners2013Poster.jpg (65.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 1st May 2020, 10:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE OMEN is still my No1 scary movie.
Everything about the movie for me is unnerving and frightening and the music score just adds to the sheer horror of it all.
I have seen the movie countless times and know the script off by heart and the movie never loses any impact. It's excellent.
gag, trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:52 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
From Beyond

A mad scientist is able to enhance a part of the Brain which enhances creatures from another dimension. His assistant (Jeffrey Combs) is accused of his murder and placed in a Mental Hospital where Psychologist (Barbara Crampton) takes him and a Detective (Ken Foree) back and recreate the experiment. It works and brings back other creatures and the Scientist, of course all hell breaks loose. Not bad, most of the F/X still looks alright all things considering.

Oh yeah, seeing the picture of the VHS front cover in the center pages of the Video Shop Rental Magazine bloody scared me when I first saw it (I was 6 at the time lol)

Black Eagle

Sho Kosugi is the Spy operative sent to retrieve a top secret weapon which is at the bottom of a sea in Malta. Jean Claude-Van Damme is part of the Russian Unit also after it. Kosugi's sons are also in this. It was good back in it's day but by today's standards, it's rather tame (If they cut out the broken neck scenes, ITV could show it on a Sunday Afternoon) but it's not bad fodder for 90 minutes.

Cliffhanger

Sylvester Stallone film where he's a Mountain Rescuer who is forced by Robbers lead John Lithgow to retrieve stolen money that are in the Mountains. It's good but it's one of those films I forget about unless I come across it. It's not one of those films I think about when I decide what film to watch.
The other day i was only listening to Stallone tell a story about working with Michael Rucker saying how crazy he was gliding over and back on a wire across a canyon just for kicks
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st May 2020, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
THE OMEN is still my No1 scary movie.
Everything about the movie for me is unnerving and frightening and the music score just adds to the sheer horror of it all.
I have seen the movie countless times and know the script off by heart and the movie never loses any impact. It's excellent.
It old 70s horrors why I complain they just don't make films / horror as good as they use to, some really great cult / classic horrors from the 70s, era of Exorcist, Tcm, Hills have eyes, Jaws, Halloween, Black Christmas, Salems lot tbh the list is endless, and omen is a perfect eg of horrors should be made.
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

OIPV4Y487DF.jpg
BATTLE OF THE BULGE(1965)

All star Hollywood version of the World War II events in the Ardennes counteroffensive in 1944.
Though it may lack somewhat in historical accuracy, the movie is an enjoyable action epic.

Like this? Share it using the links below!