Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2020, 10:07 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MV5BYjFmODA1NjItY2NmOS00NTczLThkMWMtMzNlZTNiNmU0NWRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

The S&M gay scene of New York is the hunting ground of a sadistic killer and the cops need this killer caught but they are getting absolutely nowhere. All the victims are very simular in height weight hair and complexion so they turn to beat cop Steve Burns who has an uncanny resemblance to all the victims. With the promise of promotion and a decent salary Burns agrees to go undercover and give up his normal life and girlfriend until the case is finished. The further undercover Burns goes the more the cracks begin to show.

Im not going to lie i found the opening 30 odd minutes rough going the scenes inside the club were pretty full on and some strong images of extreme sexual activity. The whole film has a real sleazy vibe and sometimes it honestly made me feel uncomfortable which I'm sure was the aim and it achieved just what it set out to do.

All that aside it is a really interesting film and watching the change in Al Pacino is fantastic starting off bright eyed and bushy tailed and by the end he has a 1000 yard stare like he has seen too much not just inside the scene but how the NYPD treats the members of the gay community the levels of brutality hatred and harassment inside the force is sickening to him.

Cruising is definitely a film that will stay with me for a long time and thats what makes it so good it forces you to look at things you have no idea about it challenges you in many ways.

7/10
Old 8th May 2020, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Expect No Mercy, Scared Stiff & A Prayer Before Dawn

Expect No Mercy

Billy Blanks is sent undercover to investigate another Cop's Murder whilst working at a Martial Arts Academy. He finds out they are using Virtual Reality to assist them with assassinations. Fight scenes are decent but not Blank's best film.

Scared Stiff

A slave trader is put under a curse, fast forward to then present day and a couple with a child start to experience supernatural happenings. Very slow start and even when something interesting happens, it wasn't that good. I do not know why it was an 18 back on 1st release, maybe it was considered decent back then.

A Prayer Before Dawn

A British Kickboxer is sent to a Thai Jail where he encounters Hell before he joins the Prison Kickboxing team. Based on a true story I found it slow and couldn't get into it. Possibly to add realism, they didn't subtitle some dialogue so like the main character, you couldn't understand what was going on. It took me out of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enm.jpg (12.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (18.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg apbd.jpg (9.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 9th May 2020, 08:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

OIP.jpg
THE GHOST BREAKERS (1940)

Paulette Goddard inherits a old castle in Cuba, reported to be haunted.
Along for the ride is Bob Hope, mistakenly wanted for murder and his valet Willie Best..

Great comedy horror. Full of atmosphere, thunder and lightning, an awesome old castle and a excellent zombie (Noble Johnson).

Annex%20-%20Hope,%20Bob%20(Ghost%20Breakers,%20The)_02.jpg ghost-breakers-19.jpg Ghost Breakers.jpg
Old 9th May 2020, 11:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm. 1979.

A young teen Mike along with his older brother Jody and friend Reggie, face off against a mortician and grave robber known only as "The Tall Man" who shrinks dead bodies to dwarfs and ships them to another dimension to be slaves.

Film maker Don Cascarelli took on numerous roles as writer, director, photographer and producer and created this classic movie, film may seem like it has no meaning or pointless, best way to see it as someone else's bad dream then seeing it coming to life. With the budget of $300.000 this did seem like it was less but there is good visual effects with the flying sphere and dwarf make-up and excellent background score by Fred Myrow and Malcolm Seagrave.

A. Michael Baldwin, Bill Thornbury and Reggie Bannister take control of the leads pretty well, the acting may not be academy award excellent but they do make it entertaining and Angus Scrimm plays the haunting menace The Tall Man well and very creepy. Never get bored of this film.

MV5BNWE5ZjNjOGItNzY3Yy00ZWRiLWIwMzMtYjAzMDAxMDdkOTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc2NTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg
Old 9th May 2020, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm II. 1988.

When Mike is released from a psychiatric unit when he believes the things that happened where his imagination, he teams up with Reggie and go on the hunt for The Tall Man and a girl who has link to Mike.

This was a throw off direct sequel only for the reason a different actor played Mike which seemed out of context due to Universal studios interference, but they did give out a bigger budget. There is more action sequence involved with the horror.

The first half of the film does seem to be like a road movie with Mike and Reggie going from town to town that have been totally wiped out and gone through a riot and post apocalyptic. Reggie Bannister and James Le Gros team up to take on Angus Scrimm's Tall Man for another showdown with a darker toned Background Score.

MV5BMTU2Mzg0MDA5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQxMjU3Mg@@._V1_.jpg
Old 9th May 2020, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead. 1994.

Reggie and Mike continue to hunt The Tall Man and believe a invasion is starting, aided by Mike's deceased brother Jody who is now a sphere ball, action girl Roxy and young orphan Tim.

Continuing where the second left off A. Michael Baldwin returns to role as well with Bill Thornbury, this entry seems to grasp on the darker tone than the previous films and with comedy that is toned down a little bit, Coscarelli did try to bring the point horror to back with this entry. This entry does include more grave digging minions and how their brain is controlled by The Tall Man and zombies who seem to know how to drive a car well and have a chuckle when one falls, and more sphere's with extra gadgets and good make-up effects added in.

118709288_1300x1733.jpg
Old 9th May 2020, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Based on the events of operation market garden a operation to try and get my the second world war to early end of course it all goes wrong.

The film boosts a cast of some of the biggest names in show business on both sides of the pond at the time. Tense , well acted and directed it maybe a little long. If I remember right it won Oscars for the sound track amongst other categories. 8/10

Taking place five years after the first film , Damien is now 12 and has been taking in by his aunt and uncle , this film Damien learns of his true parentage and takes his early steps too fulfilling his destiny to bring Armageddon. 7/10

Now watch Omen 3.
Old 9th May 2020, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Good Morning Vietnam, Doomsday & The Raid

Good Morning Vietnam

Robin Williams is the Armed Forces DJ whose radio show for the troops in Vietnam ruffles some feathers for some of his superiors. He also falls in love with a Vietnamese woman and befriends her brother. This is the 1st time I ever saw this film and whilst I didn't dislike this film, I wasn't in love with it either.

Doomsday

Well this is a bonkers film, a virus decimates Britain and a wall is set up on the Scottish boarder to keep all the infected out (I know it's a more extreme version of what's happening now) Fast forward and survivors are found in the infected zone so Rhona Mitra is sent along with others to find a cure. What they find is a bunch of survivors which make you think of Mad Max, they escape and try to find a Doctor who may help but he has created a medieval society. Like I said this is absolutely bonkers, not to mention it's has many bloody deaths, a cannibalism scene which will make Deodato and Lenzi proud and a soundtrack that has the Fine Young Cannibals song Good Thing, The Can Can Theme and Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Two Tribes. Did I say this is a bonkers film. By the way, I like this film.

I swear if this was released in the early 80's, it might have been on The Video Nasties List.

The Raid

A quality Indonesian Martial Arts movie in which a Police raid on a Crime Boss's block of flats goes wrong and an Officer has to get out. The Action scenes are just amazing. Just don't watch this and Dredd within a short window of time.

D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmv.jpg (15.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (12.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tr.jpg (13.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th May 2020, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Based on the events of operation market garden a operation to try and get my the second world war to early end of course it all goes wrong.

The film boosts a cast of some of the biggest names in show business on both sides of the pond at the time. Tense , well acted and directed it maybe a little long. If I remember right it won Oscars for the sound track amongst other categories. 8/10

Taking place five years after the first film , Damien is now 12 and has been taking in by his aunt and uncle , this film Damien learns of his true parentage and takes his early steps too fulfilling his destiny to bring Armageddon. 7/10

Now watch Omen 3.
I quite enjoyed the remake of the 1st one
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 9th May 2020, 09:53 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-The_Exorcist_3.jpg

Police Lt. Kinderman was involved with investigating the murders of the gemini killer which ended when he was sent to the electric chair. But 15 years later murders start happening again with the same characteristics. At the time of the crimes the police released reports describing the ways the gemini killer murdered his victims but it was just to weed out the loonies who kept claiming to be the Gemini. But these murders are done the exact way they were done back then.

The Exorcist III really has an uneasy creepy vibe with the brutal murders and some bizarre religious imagery. I love George C Scott and here he is fantastic i love the banter and chemistry between Lt. Kindermann and Fr Dyer they bounce off each other beautifully with some great back and forth but behind all the ribbing you can tell they really care for each other and this is a very important friendship.

This was my first time watching the directors cut i will have to watch the normal cut now just to compare its been a long time since i last watched it.

Im going to have to get a copy of the book now.

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!