Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2020, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I quite enjoyed the remake of the 1st one
On!y seen it once and can't remember much about it might order a cheap copy and give it a watch ,it can't be as bad as the forth film.
Old 9th May 2020, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Sting (1973)

Although there's a joy watching Robert Redford and Paul Newman play off each other as well as enjoyable turns from Robert Shaw and Eileen Brennan, not to mention Scott Joplin's highly memorable score and and a thirties setting which is recreated and photographed by Robert Surtees beautifully, something about The Sting failed to hit home.

I didn't feel it had that wow factor, story wise, to say it practically swept the board at the Oscars. However i do get the feeling that i will want to revisit this movie and it's two professional grifters, sometime in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -3152101596340221872.jpg (60.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th May 2020, 11:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm: OblIVion. 1998.

Mike travels through dimensions to The Tall Man's origins and to stop him and to uncover what really happened to Jody when he died and being pursued by Reggie.

Usually when films drag on with the series they tend to go downhill but this one was actually decent and with unused footage from the first film and mix it in with the present and past. There is limited actors in this...maybe for budget reasons?? There is still some funny bits but it still entertaining with the Tall Man and how it all started, there is little suspense to it as we know what will happen, enjoyable to watch and don't have any custard while watching it though.

MV5BMTMzODE1Mjk5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDAwOTI5._V1_.jpg
Old 10th May 2020, 06:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

ca11508a52743412ce879ac586fbdbfa.jpg
DEEP BLUE SEA (1999)

I dug this out the back of my archives. I have not seen this movie in years.
Really enjoyed it again. The whole of the storm sequence is awesome and sounded thunderous through the cinema system.
I saw this at the cinema. The screen was packed so there was a lot of audience jumping and screaming around.
And what a shocker on first viewing with the Samuel L Jackson and Saffron Borrows characters. I was not expecting that.
Old 10th May 2020, 08:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 224335

DEEP BLUE SEA (1999)

I dug this out the back of my archives. I have not seen this movie in years.

Really enjoyed it again. The whole of the storm sequence is awesome and sounded thunderous through the cinema system.

I saw this at the cinema. The screen was packed so there was a lot of audience jumping and screaming around.

And what a shocker on first viewing with the Samuel L Jackson and Saffron Borrows characters. I was not expecting that.
Wouldn't recommend the sequel

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2020, 09:47 AM
Cult Addict

Watched Rise of Skywalker last night. Goodness what a mess, just all over the shop. Watchable but so so sloppy, with a plot that just seems like it was made up as they went along. Jedi and Sith powers that also seem to have been newly invented just to suit whatever special effect sequence Disney wanted thrown in next.
Heartless soulless nonsense. And the Kylo Ren character has to be the worst Star Wars character of all time. He's been pathetic through all three films.
Won't be watching that one again any time soon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2020, 10:10 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Sting (1973)

Although there's a joy watching Robert Redford and Paul Newman play off each other as well as enjoyable turns from Robert Shaw and Eileen Brennan, not to mention Scott Joplin's highly memorable score and and a thirties setting which is recreated and photographed by Robert Surtees beautifully, something about The Sting failed to hit home.

I didn't feel it had that wow factor, story wise, to say it practically swept the board at the Oscars. However i do get the feeling that i will want to revisit this movie and it's two professional grifters, sometime in the future.
The Sting is a surprising Oscars success because it's a film which I always find is great fun and extremely enjoyable, though not one which strikes me as some great cinematic achievement which people within the film industry think is worthy of great acclaim.

It was released in the same year as The Exorcist, a film I consider to be a more innovative and groundbreaking piece of filmmaking because of its screenplay, direction, acting, and make-up effects.

As you said, The Sting is extremely well filmed and the period setting is faithfully recreated. It could easily be dismissed as lightweight fluff, which is not a negative if it's very watchable, and I think it is.
Old 10th May 2020, 10:15 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Watched Rise of Skywalker last night. Goodness what a mess, just all over the shop. Watchable but so so sloppy, with a plot that just seems like it was made up as they went along. Jedi and Sith powers that also seem to have been newly invented just to suit whatever special effect sequence Disney wanted thrown in next.
Heartless soulless nonsense. And the Kylo Ren character has to be the worst Star Wars character of all time. He's been pathetic through all three films.
My brother has taken out a month film package on the Now TV account we both use (he shares my Netflix and Prime Video) – as I missed it at the cinema, Rise of Skywalker is at the top of the list of films to watch along with second feelings of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood and Spider-Man: Far from Home.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I agree regarding Kylo Ren. Utterly abysmal. I think the only ones that rate him are those that fancy Adam Driver.

As for The Rise of Skywalker. I doubt i'll ever see it.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole (2010)

This film looked gorgeous, from the landscapes to the beautifully realised owls, but i just couldn't invest in talking owls. Just as i can't with talking cars, fish or dogs and that's why i dismiss every computer animated movie. I just don't like them. Pity because i really thought i might enjoy this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51kIU0XdqqL._AC_.jpg (43.0 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!