Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2020, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm doubly weirded out because Demdike and Inspector have just watched the same film too

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st May 2020, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Probably the best knowing carry on and easily has the most well knowing scene of all the films. Various people including sid James his best mate and there girlfriends head to a camping site which Sid believes is a nudist camp , when he finds out it's not be decided to leave until a bus turns up with a load of girls on it from a private school . Carry on at its best and the innuendos fly thick and fast. 8.5/10

Peter Cushing plays a professor whom discovers a skeleton he believes is the source of evil, making a serum which he believes can cure madness and evil he tests it on his daughter who he thinks will become a cock hungry and insane whore like her mother, of course this has the complete opposite effect he was hoping for, the good professor also has to contend with his brother from another mother ( Christopher Lee) who wants to still the work and the creature itself. A highly enjoyable piece of 70s horror which wouldn't of been of as good if it didn't have the two legends. 7.5/10

Now watching another Cushing/Lee horror with The Skull.
Old 31st May 2020, 09:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Creeping Flesh seems impossible to get hold of.
Old 31st May 2020, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Creeping Flesh seems impossible to get hold of.
Sadly the US disc from Columbia that i own is long out of print as is the DD UK release.
Old 31st May 2020, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Groundhog Day, She's The Man & Zombi Holocaust

Groundhog Day

Bill Murray is the Weatherman who relieves the same day over and over again. I know that this is a popular film but I didn't think all that much to it.

She's The Man

Based loosely on Twelfth Night, Amanda Bynes takes the identity of her brother in order to play for a Boy's School Football Team. Cue comic misunderstandings in a film that is well worth a watch if you can watch it.

Zombi Holocaust

Back in the day, I had a choice on whether to buy on VHS either (Umberto Lenzi's) Eaten Alive or this one. As both were the same price, I opted for Eaten Alive as I knew a bit more about that one however luckily I realized I had enough to buy this and boy what a gory and violent tale of a some investigators who go to this remote island in order to find out why some staff from Hospitals are eating dead bodies. They then encounter a Cannibal Tribe and a Mad Doctor who is doing body swap experiments and creating his own Zombies. After watching this, I thought that this film had more Cannibalism than Eaten Alive.

I do wonder why this gets negative reviews, I thought this was a hoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gd.jpg (14.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg stm.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg zh.jpg (12.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 31st May 2020, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devil Bat. 1940.

After being cheated out of a fortune, a mad doctor develops a lotion and gives it to a rich family hoping to entice a genetic bat to attack and kill them.

Given the time era and budget the tacky special effects with the bat flying and close ups may have worked with it's screeching may seem laughable now in this little B movie. Bela Lugosi plays the Doctor who develops the lotion as aftershave lotion and spreads it to family members who got rich from his work. Dave O'Brien and Donald Kerr play the reporter and photographer who seem interested in the story as their editor wants pictures, always a entertaining film to come back to.

MV5BYTNhYmM0ZjAtNWE3MS00ZWM0LWI0MmMtNjc2OTQyYzk4ZTI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzM0MTUwNTY@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st June 2020, 04:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

untitled.jpg
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE (1970)

A group hold a séance conducted by Count Yorga, obviously unaware that he is a vampire. When a couple take the Count back to his home, the van breaks down and in the night they are attacked by Yorga..

Enjoyable modern day vampire movie. One that I always remember from way back when it was shown late on something like Appointment With Fear and me trying to get my parents to let me watch it. I like the way that Yorga is no fool and is just playing with the woodbe vampire hunters by indulging their questions until sun rise. He knows exactly what's going on!
Old 1st June 2020, 05:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Brightburn (2019) ★★★

Quote:
What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?
Written by cousins Mark and Bryan Gunn (produced by James Gunn, Brian's brother), this looks to invert superhero tropes and set them in a horror film.

As a concept, it's intriguing – the idea of Kal El as a malevolent child is interesting and could have been made into a great film. Sadly, this isn't that great film, but one with a couple of wince-inducing injuries (the one with the eyeball bests everything Lucio Fulci did!) and a couple of genuinely creepy scenes and well worked jump scares.

It's a film with loads of potential it's a shame that it doesn't deliver.

Old 1st June 2020, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran

I really enjoyed Brightburn to be honest
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st June 2020, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Mortal Engines (2018) ★★★

Quote:
Many thousands of years in the future, Earth’s cities roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. On one of these massive traction cities, the old London, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the wastelands who will change the course of his life forever.
Written for the screen by the team (Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Peter Jackson) who wrote the Lord of the Rings trilogy and directed by Christian Rivers, who has worked with Peter Jackson since Braindead doing storyboards and visual effects, Mortal Engines is a film with a lot in its favour.

It certainly looks like it was made by someone who has spent their career on the visual side of filmmaking: it's a great piece of world building with a sci-fi steam punk aesthetic. However, the writing isn't as strong as it should be so it's a little like a second-rate Terry Gilliam or Guillermo del Toro film.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it though it's not a film I'll be in a desperate rush to rewatch.

Like this? Share it using the links below!