Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2020, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Angel Has Fallen (2019)

Unlike the previous two films in the 'Fallen' series - Olympus Has Fallen and London Has Fallen - this third in the franchise actually improves as it goes on. Where the previous two began spectacularly then quickly became tedious running round in the dark shoot em' ups, this begins spectacularly with a brilliantly realised drone attack on President Morgan Freeman and maintains an upward trajectory to it's action packed bullet fest of a finale - In daylight!

The Marmite like Gerard Butler continues in the role of Secret Service agent Mike Banning (For the record i like Butler) and Freeman finally becomes president replacing the extremely wooden Aaron Eckhart. Additions to the cast greatly improve matters with Jack Huston proving a great bad guy and Nick Nolte adding a bit of grizzled humour as Banning's dad.

If, like me, you found the first two films disappointingly missed opportunities then, also like me, you might find this one a pleasant and enjoyably thrilling surprise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-20jG5l64_trB-cKhxtvLdw.jpg (93.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th June 2020, 07:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Had too see if it's bad as the critics make out, usual don't agree with critics , but they are right with this pile of poo. Absolutely dreadful nothing good to say about it, hard to say who's to blame as their is so much wrong there's plenty of blame to go around , but the young actor if you ocan call him an actor is beyond awful. Do yourself a favour and give it a miss,sticking pins in your eyes would be more fun. Sure Disney knew what a stinker it is and that's why it went to Disney plus . This will win every award at this year's razzies! 2/10

Now watching.

I quite enjoyed this last night
nicholasrope likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 15th June 2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 15th June 2020, 11:22 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Women Behind Bars (1975)

Allegedly shot on the cheap in stoppages during filming on Erwin Dietrich's production of Barb Wire Dolls, Women Behind Bars is a bit of a mess. It's also rather dull.

The only sequence of note was Lina Romay's escape from the prison holding the prison governor at gun point, her dress completely open at the top as she literally bounces along trying to keep up with her faster walking captive. It's both funny and slightly bizarre but very Jess Franco.

Although this cannot be recommended, i'm pleased to add it to my Jess Franco collection and it's guaranteed to be rewatched more than once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hMnKDYmRmOdWh6EPvz7rMwJLYqI.jpg (89.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th June 2020, 05:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Angel Has Fallen (2019)

Unlike the previous two films in the 'Fallen' series - Olympus Has Fallen and London Has Fallen - this third in the franchise actually improves as it goes on. Where the previous two began spectacularly then quickly became tedious running round in the dark shoot em' ups, this begins spectacularly with a brilliantly realised drone attack on President Morgan Freeman and maintains an upward trajectory to it's action packed bullet fest of a finale - In daylight!

The Marmite like Gerard Butler continues in the role of Secret Service agent Mike Banning (For the record i like Butler) and Freeman finally becomes president replacing the extremely wooden Aaron Eckhart. Additions to the cast greatly improve matters with Jack Huston proving a great bad guy and Nick Nolte adding a bit of grizzled humour as Banning's dad.

If, like me, you found the first two films disappointingly missed opportunities then, also like me, you might find this one a pleasant and enjoyably thrilling surprise
I felt it partially removed the one element that made the first two so much fun, the fun factor. Angel Has Fallen felt a bit too serious and just came across as another generic action film, but it was a decent enough watch.
Old 15th June 2020, 05:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just finished watching this beast of documentary which charts the evolution of modern action cinema from the late 70s up until John Wick. Very interesting but would have liked it to be a bit more comprehensive even though the doc is nearly 2 1/2 hours long. Lots of great interviews too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8bf895551b400bcf745e1d9e3a1d30b3_original.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th June 2020, 06:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I quite enjoyed this last night
Fowl or the Mask?
Old 15th June 2020, 06:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You'll believe a bus can can fly!

When cop Keanu Reeves thwarts a completely bonkers Dennis Hoppers plan to get money from the city of L.A he plants a bomb on a bus, which can't go below 50 and it blows same goes if anyone tries to get off. You would think it wouldn't work but it does and it's a case of none stop action , with Reeves trying to save the bus and catch Hopper, as well as romance Sandra Bullock. A classic action movie. 9/10

Easily the greatest werewolf movie ever made, with so many great scenes and along with The Howling has the greatest werewolf transformation of all time. A great horror with a dark sense of humour. The scene with the Nazis used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. 10/10

Now watching

Old 15th June 2020, 07:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Fowl or the Mask?
Fowl.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 15th June 2020, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Angel Has Fallen (2019)

I liked the 1st one, hated the 2nd one but found this one surprisingly enjoyable as I thought the trailer didn't make it look good
Old 15th June 2020, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

You'll believe a bus can can fly!

When cop Keanu Reeves thwarts a completely bonkers Dennis Hoppers plan to get money from the city of L.A he plants a bomb on a bus, which can't go below 50 and it blows same goes if anyone tries to get off. You would think it wouldn't work but it does and it's a case of none stop action , with Reeves trying to save the bus and catch Hopper, as well as romance Sandra Bullock. A classic action movie. 9/10

Easily the greatest werewolf movie ever made, with so many great scenes and along with The Howling has the greatest werewolf transformation of all time. A great horror with a dark sense of humour. The scene with the Nazis used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. 10/10

Now watching

I love Speed, it's amazing but I felt that the train scene at the end was unnecessary. I believe that you could have had the showdown on the platform not on the actual train
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!