Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2020, 10:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Women Behind Bars (1975)

Allegedly shot on the cheap in stoppages during filming on Erwin Dietrich's production of Barb Wire Dolls, Women Behind Bars is a bit of a mess. It's also rather dull.

The only sequence of note was Lina Romay's escape from the prison holding the prison governor at gun point, her dress completely open at the top as she literally bounces along trying to keep up with her faster walking captive. It's both funny and slightly bizarre but very Jess Franco.

Although this cannot be recommended, i'm pleased to add it to my Jess Franco collection and it's guaranteed to be rewatched more than once.
I'm Sold!
Old 16th June 2020, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

X-Men (2000)

A good introduction to the X-Men universe of mutants. Introduces a few core characters and explains what's going on then gets on with a fairly straight forward story which is action packed but thankfully grounded in the real world.

Thanks to Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen the film is loaded with acting gravitas, although Hugh Jackman as Wolverine gets the nod as coolest mutant, just beating Rebecca Romijn's shape shifting Mystique.

What made me smile was the two actors that basically launched the whole Marvel phenomenon... One's from Huddersfield (Stewart) and the other (McKellen) is from Burnley. Just a few miles and one long road apart.

The question is do i go on from here and watch all the X universe movies? I guess time and the restarting Premier League season will tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X-MenfilmPoster.jpg (44.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 16th June 2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 17th June 2020, 08:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Incredible Hulk (2008) ★★★½

Quote:
Scientist Bruce Banner scours the planet for an antidote to the unbridled force of rage within him: the Hulk. But when the military masterminds who dream of exploiting his powers force him back to civilization, he finds himself coming face to face with a new, deadly foe.
There is a lot I like about this film: Edward Norton's portrayal of Bruce Banner, , the performances from William Hurt and Tim Roth, Louis Leterrier's energetic and skilled direction, the deftly handled back story, and the CGI which makes Hulk (and Abomination) real and powerful beings.

Unlike the later Marvel films with Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk, this is almost entirely serious in tone – it's a film with very little levity and it does occasionally feel a little too sombre and would benefit from some comic relief, as in the final scene between General Ross and Tony Stark. That said, there is a very well handled cameo by Lou Ferrigno as a nod to fans of the TV show, though how much of the target audience will get that in joke something I don't know.

It's a film which has always struck me as visually impressive, and watching this 4K Ultra HD disc makes the visual effect really shine – from the opening pass over the Brazilian favela to the first viewing of Hulk, the combat sequences with explosions, and even the rain looks incredible. Equally, the soundstage is always alive and, when Hulk roars, the room fills with his anger.

I think part of the problem with this film is that Bruce Banner/Hulk isn't particularly interesting on his own – he's always been most interesting and entertaining when paired with someone else, either Tony Stark or Thor, which is why I think the character was so good in the Avengers films and Thor: Ragnarok.

As in the beginning, it's a film with a lot going for it; it's a very watchable and accomplished film, though not one which would draw back to it in the same way as the aforementioned Avengers films or Thor: Ragnarok, the interactions between Mark Ruffalo's Hulk and Chris Hemsworth's Norse God were so much fun.

Old 17th June 2020, 09:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

man-of-steel-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg
MAN OF STEEL (2013)

DC starts it's new line of movies. Henry Cavill is a great fit for Superman.
When I saw this at the cinema I came away disappointed. Viewings at home have made me change my mind. It's better than my first thoughts. I'm still not keen on the Krypton scenes though. Once Zod enters the Earths atmosphere the movie is one massive fight causing destruction on a huge scale as Zod and Faora have the same powers as Superman.
So, an okay start to DCs new franchise just not the movie I was expecting.
Old 17th June 2020, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
It Couldn't Happen Here

Originally meant to be an extended music video for The Pet Shop Boys this got turned into a film and boy this is a strange one.

This was a very rare film to find on VHS and DVD until this BFI release and in a way, it's given it a kind of mythical status.
I've been thinking about picking this up, I'm not a big PSB fan but this kind of thing is the kind of curiousity that I like to enjoy

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th June 2020, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes it's that film! For me it's one of my favourite 80s movies , it just so much fun with a great soundtrack a film I never grow bored of. Yes near dark is probably a better writing, directed and acted movie but this For me is just so much more enjoyable . 9/10

An absolute classic it has it all a great cast , amazing cameos , fantastic soundtrack , iconic scenes and fantastic car chases . Brilliant and it looks stunning in 4k. 10/10

Now watching
Old 17th June 2020, 09:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Don’t Bother to Knock (1961)

A fairly tedious British comedy. Although the story is a bit of fun - Richard Todd gains the affections of several women whilst abroad in Europe and they all turn up at his English home at the same time - and should warrant a decent amount of screwball or smutty laughs the actual result is so dull.

Despite co-starring the lovely Elke Sommer, who sports some of the smallest shorts imaginable whilst leading a party up a mountain, there are no laughs to be had at all. I don't even remember smiling to myself at a set piece or line of dialogue. It doesn't help that Richard Todd seems so ill suited to the role.

Released by Network. Whilst the movie left a lot to be desired the disc itself looked and sounded excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7954109.jpg (39.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th June 2020, 06:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Rewatched the first season of TWIN PEAKS.
What a classic,nail-biting piece of TV history.

I rewatched the 1st episode of season 2 and haven't been back to it......anyone else think it all gets a bit corny and daft in S2?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

THE WIND-Arrow Video

Seen more entertaining wind coming from Max the Springer's arse!

Jesus,Meg Foster and Wings Hauser must've had mortgage arrears!

Marketed as a slasher,more of a pisser!
Bad.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 18th June 2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

THE VANISHING-Studio Canal

Nice transfer (same as Criterion's?) of one of the best thrillers ever.Feck all extras.Not even a trailer!

Everytime I watch this I want to take Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu's head and whack it off the wall.Such a smug,creepy bastard!

Just read that,sadly he died in 2010 aged only 61.

Like this? Share it using the links below!