LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2020, 11:17 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
APACHE DRUMS (1951)

A small town is besieged by Mescalero Apache and the town retreats to the church in the hopes the Calvary will arrive in the morning..

Val Lewton's last production. You can see Val's RKO style in certain moments.
The tall sinister canyon walls and music, the drum beats outside the church, jump scare moments as Apache pop up and jump through the high windows.
Good film which quite happily sits along side with Val's horror movies.
Is this out on disc?
Old 21st June 2020, 11:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Mine is an import. The only DVD release I know of.

Old 21st June 2020, 12:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Mine is an import. The only DVD release I know of.

Sorry but the image doesn't show for me.
Old 21st June 2020, 04:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Bugs.

William Castle is obviously better known for his gimmick laden comedy horrors,and his amazing genius for advertising campaigns for his movies...But for me Bug has to be his most effective film,even if he only has his producer's hat on...Jeannot Szwarc directs this bugs on a rampage flick,which has plenty of moments of insect creepiness, notably when they drop down on some poor sole and start burning there victim's face...But it's the scene's where Bradford Dillman goes bonkers while living and experimenting on his bugs,this mainly involves him staring madly into the bugs,and shouting while growing a beard... Unfortunately for him the bugs seem to be getting wise to his experimentations,and seem to be evolving a group intelligence,which means they seem to be able to do crosswords and sudoku and just annoy Dillman... Unfortunately while the bug's are really effective,(some sort of large cockroaches are used in a variety of different stages of there evolution) and nice and creepy,the bugs at the end of the movie,look slightly ridiculous and a good whack with a cricket bat would soon sort the perishes out...It's one of those great PG rated movies from the 1970s...

Old 21st June 2020, 04:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sorry but the image doesn't show for me.
What about this one?

Old 21st June 2020, 04:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cheers, Dave.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 21st June 2020, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Well severed arm, starts with,well a severed arm,looped off and thrown to the floor in some dingy morgue.Still the arm then travels via the American postal service to Geoff, who not surprisingly was not expecting a severed arm from Amazon anytime soon.We soon find out via good old flashback that a group of men,went pot holing into some abandoned mine,only to get trapped by a land slide after only about ten minutes in the mine... Two weeks later,are intrepid heroes have all grown trendy hipster beards,and have already decided cannibalism is there only way to survive this ordeal .But who is the one to donate a limb for our guys to snack on,well Ted gets the short straw and donates his arm to the picnic...But as luck would have it, well not for Ted, they get rescued just as they manage to lob off his limb with a pen knife...Mean while a one armed figure wielding an axe is creeping about in the dark, looking to get revenge...and start severing a few limbs...Low budget goodness that only comes from 1970s American drive in trash... Actually this is really watchable piece of nonsense that looks like and feels like a TV movie from the halcyon days of one's off TV specials..It also has a really quirky electronic score by Phillan Bishop that adds to the atmosphere...If your a fan of oddball slashers and 1970s facial hair this is for you.
SOLD

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st June 2020, 07:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dr. No. 1962.

A British government spy is sent to Jamaica to discover why a colleague was murdered and uncovers a plot with a sinister man called Dr. No.

The one that started the franchise 58 years ago on why some of us wanted to dream of being a spy or you dreamed of looking at the ocean and hoping a beautiful woman would appear. Sir Sean Connery who was know in small minor roles was able to catapult himself into the limelight as the spy James Bond sent on a assignment for answers.

This film may seem to be outdated but still only the best and who can't forget Ursula Andress coming out of the water signing...isn't this the only Bond film we see the main character sing? Joseph Wiseman plays the main title bad guy, i have only seen him in a handful of films and does fit the perfect persona of a bad guy and Jack Lord as C.I.A Felix Leiter who shows up throught out the course of the franchise played by different actors.

MV5BZTNkMDA5NDUtMmNhYS00NDJjLWE2NDktY2U0NGJmMTc2ODAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

[James Bond's first scene, winning a game of chemin-de-fer]

James Bond: I admire your courage, Miss...?
Sylvia Trench: Trench. Sylvia Trench. I admire your luck, Mr...?
James Bond: Bond. James Bond.
Old 21st June 2020, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Once Upon A Time In America

Once Upon A Time In America

Robert DeNiro stars in Sergio Leone's film chronicling 50 years of a Mob Gang. James Woods and Joe Pesci co-star.

At 3 hours 40 minutes to say that this is a epic is a mis-understatement, it is slow and methodical but has some nice scenes of violence.

I was wondering if Cinemas had an intermission for this film and the DVD had a intermission tag during the 2nd DVD (The film was gone over 2 disks) but if I had seen this at the cinema, I would have wanted it earlier as there were ample opportunities for it.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad film (I had bought it for 2 quid from CEX) but luckily I had it on as background however I don't think I could have done it in one sitting otherwise.

The running time was daunting going into it beforehand but in a way it's no different than binge watching a TV show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ouatia.jpg (15.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st June 2020, 09:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Let The Right One In. Oskar is a lonely and bullied 12 year old who seethes with a desire for revenge on his tormentors and begins to befriend the strange 12 year old girl, Eli, who's just moved in next door. But Eli has been 12 years old for a very long time... This unique late 2000s Swedish vampire flick is eerie, touching and haunting in equal measure. A modern classic. It also broke my movie drought!

Like this? Share it using the links below!