Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2020, 08:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The evil genie is back time released after a botched robbery , once again be sets out to bring hell on earth, a young woman involved in the robbery and the world's most unlikely looking priest try to stop him, the genie spends most of the movie in a prison granting wishes with a huge grin on his face all the time which makes me think he enjoys dropping the soap. 6.5/10

Now watching

Obviously Gremlins is a great movie,but I wasn't that impressed with the 4k disc...
iank likes this.

Old 26th June 2020, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Brooklyn (2015)

The ever excellent Saoirse Ronan plays a young woman who fed up with her lot in Enniscorthy in the south of Ireland moves to the United States in search of a better life.

A rich period drama that flits between early fifties Brooklyn and sleepy Enniscorthy, beautifully acted this feels like a movie from the golden age of Hollywood.

Normally i'd pretend a romantic drama like this isn't my 'thing' but when a movie is this good how could it not be my 'thing'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooklyn_xlg.jpg (97.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th June 2020, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

License To Kill. 1989.

After capturing a drug lord who later escaped custody, Felix Leiter is tortured while his new wife is killed, Bond goes rogue seeking those responsible and teams up with a friend of Felix for revenge.

Dalton's second and last outing as Bond due to problems with MGM and his contract had expired making way for a new actor for the role, if i remember this one got a bit more hype (i was only 8 when this was released) as it was rated 15 and my sister got me the soundtrack on LP.

Robert Davi plays the sadistic drug lord Sanchez who is doing business with Chinese Triad and have investment in his big drug deal scheme with China a Panema network and controls his power and girlfriend Lupe played by Talisa Soto. Carey Lowell plays pilot and C.I.A. agent Pam Bouvier who has her own agenda for going after Sanchez.

This does have some more action than the other Bond films and has somewhat a lot of tense moments as well and some quirky moments and usual Bond humour and some good driving with a truck and trailer. i forgot that Benicio Del Toro was in this as henchman Dario and David Hedison returns as Felix, with a small role from Everett McGill.

licence-to-kill-2019-pearl-anniversary.jpg

[after a gunfight with henchmen]
Felix Leiter: [to Bond] Hey, observer! You trying to get yourself killed?
James Bond: If I don't get you back in time for the wedding, I'm a dead man for sure!
Old 26th June 2020, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Gladiator (1986), Their Finest & Ghostbusters II

The Gladiator (1986)

Ken Wahl is a road warrior vigilante who avenges his brother's death at the hands of a crazy motorist by using his souped-up pickup to apprehend drunken drivers and others who abuse their driving privileges. Abel Ferrara directs this film that was originally meant to be released in the Cinemas in America but got turned into a TV Movie.

I remember seeing the picture in a video rental magazine back in the day and today picked it up in a CEX (For 50p, it was a double sided disk with Death Ring, which is a brilliant film by the way) and it isn't bad, the scenes where he was chasing and stopping dangerous drivers was good. BTW, this is the 3rd different film called Gladiator in my collection.

Their Finest

Excellent British Film based on the efforts of a Film Team charged with the task of creating a movie which will raise the morale of The British people along with convincing The Americans to join the battle. Excellent performances from Gemma Arteron, Sam Claflin, Richard E. Grant and off course Bill Nighy.

Ghostbusters II

The original gang is back this time saving Sigourney Weaver's baby from becoming the vessel for a tyrant who wants to rule the Earth again.

For some reason, this sequel isn't really popular but I do not know why. It is so fun and a very easy watch especially on a hot Friday night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g.jpg (9.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tf.jpg (12.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GII.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 26th June 2020, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I didn't realise that was the Ferrara film, Nicolas.

What's the pic quality like? Hollywood discs can range from the so-so to the stunning.
Old 26th June 2020, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 225652
THE WARRIORS (1979) THEATRICAL VERSION

Excellent! Remember all the trouble this film caused when it came out?
A few years back we went to New York and took the subway down to Coney Island. Stood by the Wonder Wheel and had a ride on the Cyclone roller coaster. It's worth checking out behind the scenes trivia for this movie, about the real gangs involved and trouble while filming.
In my top 5 fav films of all time and can never get bored or fed up of it.
This and films like scum quadrophenia and many others are fine eg of how great films were in the late 70s .
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 26th June 2020, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Obviously Gremlins is a great movie,but I wasn't that impressed with the 4k disc...
With your comment and amount of times companies £uck up the quality, glitches, sound etc proves that if the pic quality fine then upgrading isn't always better.
Old 26th June 2020, 11:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't realise that was the Ferrara film, Nicolas.

What's the pic quality like? Hollywood discs can range from the so-so to the stunning.
Picture seemed fine with me.

I'm surprised Arrow haven't released this, they have done a few New World Films in the past
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th June 2020, 12:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Goldeneye. 1995.

When a secret space weapon "Goldeneye", James Bond is tasked to find it and cross paths with someone whom he thought to be dead.

After a few years hiatus, Pierce Brosnan dons on the suit and charm as the best British secret service spy in the 17th film, this time going against another 00 agent turned terrorist in the form of Alex Trevelyan played by Sean Bean. Once a British agent now he blames the government for the loss of his parents and seeks to get even. Teamed with Xenia Onatopp played by Famke Janssen who seems to enjoy a good squeeze between her thighs seems to give her pleasure in all the wrong reasons. Izabella Scorupco plays Russian computer programmer Natalya and beside Boris played by Alan Cumming. The first female M to grace our screens in the form of Judi Dench who is brilliant and seems to take no crap. Joe Don Baker returns, not as Brad Whitaker but as Jack Wade C.I.A.

I was a bit hesitant about Pierce being Bond as i didn't think he can pull it off but after 20 minutes i was corrected he did pull it off and make it with his own style of acting and some humour jokes in between, as for the plot it worked out well and how much computers and technology were being used for satellites in space. Good way to start of the Brosnan era of bond.

9297cafd-9c7f-4c55-91e3-d6cf0bd2ff0a.jpg

Xenia Onatopp: You don't need the gun, Commander.
James Bond: Well, that depends on your definition of safe sex.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

fantastic-voyage-british-poster-art-everett.jpg
FANTASTIC VOYAGE (1966)

'Fantastic' is the right word. Excellent movie in which a team are miniaturised and injected in to the body of a scientist to save his life.
Great visual effects and a music score as the microscopic ship 'Proteus' travels in this unknown world.

V12fantastic01.jpg Fantastic Voyage still a.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!