Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2020, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

There's Something in the Pilliga (2014)

There might be something in the Pilliga but you won't catch sight of it in this dismal shaky cam movie from Oz.

Although it starts off okay the four protagonists we are supposed to root for quickly turn into the most annoying characters imaginable. Constantly yelling at each other, it became painful to watch.

Aside from showing us a couple of mutilated bodies in the bush there's nothing in the least bit scary about the film. We never see what may or may not be hunting our intrepid, loathsome, redneck buffoons, in fact by the end if you've actually bothered to stick it out to the end, you'll probably be wishing like myself that they'd all copped it a hell of a lot earlier.

Released on UK dvd as Prying Eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tsitpposter.jpg (82.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th June 2020, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
The Invisible Man

Elizabeth Moss is the abused wife who escapes and stays with her Detective friend (Aldis Hodge) and his daughter. However after her husband apparently committed Suicide, she is then stalked by what appears to be an Invisible Man in order to drive her crazy.

As this has just been released on DVD/Blu Ray, I'll not divulge anything more. However this is a brilliant film and I feel intelligently done, however I was surprised to see that it's now an 18 with what appears to be an additional 3 seconds.

Oh yeah, I blooming hate the new 15 and 18 certificate logos especially the 15 as it makes it look like it's a 18 film
I have just finished watching this myself and was surprised how good it was, defiantly worth a rewatch..
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

five-movie-poster-1951-1010685624.jpg
FIVE (1951)

Four men and a pregnant women are brought together in a country house after an Atomic bomb is detonated and the fall out wipes out humanity.
One of the men sows discord in the group by his actions and wants to go in to the city for food and possibly find survivors rather than toil in the garden the others have made..

Good but very bleak apocalypse movie. Book ended by scenes of the aftermath of the bomb such as deserted streets and skeletal remains, the film deals with loneliness and the longing for what once was.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Great film falling down, went cinema to watch it, can relate to a lot of stuff eg McDonalds stop serving breakfast at exactly 10:30. Nowt worse than jobsworthy people.
As a one-time McDonalds employee (horrible job), I'm actually gonna defend that Falling Down no breakfast decision. The necessary breakfast cooking equipment from the grills would have already been dismantled and soaking in the sink. It's really not as jobsworth as it sounds. Fast food staff have it bad enough as it is without having to bend over backwards for just one customer.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
As a one-time McDonalds employee (horrible job), I'm actually gonna defend that Falling Down no breakfast decision. The necessary breakfast cooking equipment from the grills would have already been dismantled and soaking in the sink. It's really not as jobsworth as it sounds. Fast food staff have it bad enough as it is without having to bend over backwards for just one customer.
An interesting point, one which makes the cutoff time perfectly reasonable.
Old 30th June 2020, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Ah now it's been explained then it's understandable, if not working at these joints we don't know these things.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:02 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I was going to say this myself yesterday, ex McDonald's shift manager myself. Breakfast changeover takes a while and you have to start cooking main menu so it's ready on the dot because you know at 10:30 exactly someone is asking for cheeseburger with no mustard no pickles lol ...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th June 2020, 06:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

MV5BMTc3NDAxMTY2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk4ODY3Mw@@._V1_.jpg
THE MONSTER AND THE APE (1945)
15 CHAPTER COLUMBIA SERIAL

A professor has created a robot, The Metalogen Man.
The bad guys want the robot and the race is on to get hold of the metalogen to power the robot. A giant ape is on hand to despatch anyone who gets in the way..

A bit of a task to get through this one. Did not seem to go anywhere fast.
Most of the cliffhangers are big cheats, with the hero unmistakably killed at the climax to an episode. The worst has to be when our hero is knocked out and put on a conveyor belt which enters a furnace. You actually see the body go in the doors and the doors shut behind him. In the next episode he jumps off before entering the doors to the furnace. Willie Best is on hand for some fun.

Old 30th June 2020, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Once again the evil genie is unleashed this time by a collage student, he sets about once again to unleash hell on earth. Not a patch on the first two and with Andrew Divoff no longer playing the genie doesn't help matters. 5/10

Ok this got a savaging by the critics and was a huge flop, but I've always enjoyed it, it has some great set pieces and fights and some good acting from the Japanese cast. 7/10

Now watching 2001, which is another stunning looking 4K release.

Last edited by trebor8273; 30th June 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Rawhead Rex, Wall Street & Goldeneye

Rawhead Rex

This is a 1986 Horror film set in Ireland based on a story by Clive Barker, it's about a creature that arises from the ground and goes through the locals of a village.

It's one of those films which I remember seeing the advert on other films but never saw it. It's not a bad film but the creature's look, which may have been passable back when it was made doesn't hold up to 2020 standards. But apparently the F/X team had only a week and a limited budget to deal with it.

Wall Street

Charlie Sheen is a young and impatient stockbroker who is willing to do anything to get to the top, including trading on illegal inside information and is taken under the wing of a through a ruthless and greedy corporate raider played by Michael Douglas.

I'm sure that a lot of people like this film but I just found that all the jargon used by Stock Market Traders took me out of the film.

Goldeneye

Pierce Brosnan plays Bond who is out to stop Sean Bean from blowing up London using a satellite weapon.

Not the biggest James Bond fan, this was an alright movie, some decent action sequences especially the Tank chase in a street in Russia another sequence at the beginning where he dives to try to get into a freefalling helicopter may be the inspiration for the Mission Impossible films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rr.jpg (12.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ws.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!