Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quick question.

Does anyone have the old (only) dvd of the Lost in Space movie? Is it a snapper case or keep case?
Old 14th July 2020, 11:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. 1979.

When a alien spacecraft destroys three Klingon ships and headed towards earth, Admiral Kirk takes control of the enterprise to intercept the ship.

This is the first time i have seen this film all the way through in one go and only seen some of the sequels but this was pleasantly enjoyable and don't know why i have held off seeing this. I don't know how many versions of this has been updated but this one was the newly restored director's edition, the picture quality was great as the special effects seem to be more sharper and colorful, it was a laugh to see Captain Kirk getting put in his place by Decker. I think i am slowly becoming a Trekkie fan.

MV5BZDFkZjYxZjUtOTBjOS00MzY3LThjZjMtY2ExMjQ0NTZmMWY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 15th July 2020, 12:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

When a alien spacecraft destroys three Klingon ships and headed towards earth, Admiral Kirk takes control of the enterprise to intercept the ship.

This is the first time i have seen this film all the way through in one go and only seen some of the sequels but this was pleasantly enjoyable and don't know why i have held off seeing this. I don't know how many versions of this has been updated but this one was the newly restored director's edition, the picture quality was great as the special effects seem to be more sharper and colorful, it was a laugh to see Captain Kirk getting put in his place by Decker. I think i am slowly becoming a Trekkie fan.

Attachment 226134
I only saw it for the first time properly last year, having been put off by its reputation and a childhood memory of it being boring. I thought it was excellent.
Old 15th July 2020, 09:13 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quick question.

Does anyone have the old (only) dvd of the Lost in Space movie? Is it a snapper case or keep case?
I had it because it came with my first DVD player. I thought it was rubbish and traded it in and bought (I think) a couple of South Park DVDs, but remember it being in a keep case.

This was around the time when others were snapper cases or those awful jewel cases.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

I don't know how many versions of this has been updated but this one was the newly restored director's edition, the picture quality was great as the special effects seem to be more sharper and colorful,]
The Directors Edition was altered quite a lot from it's theatrical version.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079945...ef_=tt_trv_alt
Although a lot of people prefer this new version due to it's pace, new effects and sound. Making it as some would say.. less boring?
I love Jerry Goldsmith's main title music.

OIP.jpg
THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER (1960)

Afternoon relaxing movie. Fun if rather silly movie with most of the visual effects being the travelling matte process. Only two scenes of stop motion featuring a squirrel and the highlight, Gulliver fights a Crocodile.
Although the visual effects are great, this is my least favourite of Ray's movies.
Old 15th July 2020, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Do You Like Hitchcock? (2005)

Yes, i do, and i also like this stylish tv movie from Dario Argento that borrows heavily from the master of suspense throughout from Rear Window and Strangers on a Train to Vertigo.

It's obviously a homage to Hitchcock and film in general and is lovingly made by Argento (who can't keep from advertising his own output like The Card Player through posters and photos on walls of a local video shop) with good characters and enough exploitative sex and violence to remind the viewer of his seventies heyday, whilst proving his doubters wrong with an efficient and thoroughly enjoyable film in it's own right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 236136.jpg (80.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th July 2020, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Event Horizon. 1997.

in 2040, salvage space ship Event Horizon made it's maiden voyage and disappeared. 7 years later the ship's designer Weir and a rescue team try to locate the ship and see where it has been unbeknownst on where the crew are or what has happened to them.

This is one of the decent Science-Fiction horrors of the 90s that doesn't rely on gore, although there is plenty, it focuses more on the atmosphere and a ghost aboard the Event Horizon. Paul Anderson manages to capture everyone's sense of claustrophobia and sense of quick cabin fever of people seeing things that may not be real or is it part of their subconsciousness to the point of loosing their minds. Lawrence Fishburne heads the rescue team while Sam Neil plays the Doctor who seems to keep almost everything to himself until it's too late to explain. The make up effects are done decently as well as good cinematography in and out of the space ship.

Event-Horizon-large.jpg
Old 16th July 2020, 09:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Annie Hall poster 2.jpg
ANNIE HALL (1977)

Stand up comic Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) reflects on his life and the relationship and breakup with singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton).
Excellent comedy from Woody Allen. I love his humour and whenever I watch his movies I always sit through with a smile on my face. Diane Keaton is great as always. The movie won best picture in the 1978 Academy Awards but I still feel that honour should have gone to Star Wars, ha ha
Old 16th July 2020, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brain Damage. 1988.

A young man wakes up one morning to find a small parasite called Aylmer (Elmer) has attached itself to him and show him wonders and in return looks for human victims to feed off..

This was more comedy than horror from the maker of Basket Case and Frankenhooker, Rick Hearst plays the young man Brian who goes on a bad LSD trip with the parasite that slowly takes control of him with hallucinations and bright colours. What made it more interesting was the origin of Aylmer on where he came from over the years and who actually looked after him, this may not be award winning film with great performances but think i have found another 80s guilty pleasure film, Heads up though it does contain strong flashing imagery.

81HnJAXQlCL._RI_.jpg
Old 16th July 2020, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Edge Of The Axe. 1988.

A axe murderer terrorises a mountain community while two young adults try to solve on who the killer is with the help of their computers.

This has the hallmark of slasher films: quiet peaceful surroundings, a masked killer who isn't a stereotype and kills whoever and bumbling town Sheriff who doesn't know what to do and a couple of people who try to solve the mystery of the killer's identity. There is one or two flaws in the film that can be ignored along with some good killings, this may be low budget but i was surprised on how good it was especially with the added element of a cat and mouse chasing game, worth a watch.

edge-of-the-axe-header.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!