Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2020, 04:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Is the end meant to be philosophical and watching the rebirth of mankind...or something like that??
Nah it ain't supposed to be philosophical at all, they actually lost a whole reel of film. That's why it's enigmatic and confusing.

In the missing section they had a whole shed load of spaceships that shot the shit out of everything, with jets of radioactive silly string ... till Chuck Norris turned up, flexed his muscles and did the splits like James Brown on a bag of cocaine...

The radioactive space donkeys knew they were beaten so they all went down the East End for a knees up with Sid James and Barbara Windsor...and tits...

They climbed the apples and pairs, did the knees up with mother brown, shat on a swan...and dog gone done that funky chicken...Jim Dale was freewheelin' down the street on a hospital dolly wearing a disco ball jacket and day glow Y - fronts.

Bernard Bresslaw stood by as a one eyed cyclops , twitching his neon moustache and George Bernard Shaw was inserting plums into Audrey Hepburn's anus.

Sod London after Midnight, this is the lost film i wan't to see.

And why not?..

norman-barry-002-film-80.jpg
Barry Normal...

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 21st July 2020 at 04:51 AM.
Old 21st July 2020, 04:34 AM
Cult Addict

Sorry, ahem.( for my bout of extended F*ckwittery.)

I tried to explain my personal view of an enigmatic classic film seriously , but then felt that to bring some kind of balance back to reality i had to do a frivolous Elvis flared numb nuts version of a review , obviously the beer and rum i consumed earlier did not sway me in any way...shape or frog.

Eh..?

Old 21st July 2020, 04:54 AM
Cult Addict

What was the question?...

Old 21st July 2020, 05:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You have probably explained the ending better than other people I have asked and those who can't watch the film all the way through.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st July 2020, 06:07 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
What was the question?...
It doesn't matter - the answer is still 42
nosferatu42 and iank like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st July 2020, 01:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Watching the film drunk as a skunk is the only way to do it in my opinion that way you can pass out after about ten minutes and wake up as the credits roll.

A right load of beautifully filmed pretentious bullshit!
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Saturday night was Charles Bronson night.

Cold Sweat (1970)

Bond director Terence Young teams up with hard man Charles Bronson who swaps his stone faced vigilante day job for a swell time on the French Riviera in this reasonably down to earth thriller.

The plot, following an interesting first fifteen minutes meanders a little but is brought back on track with a tremendous car chase which lights the fuse of a cracking finale.

James Mason and Liv Ullmann co-star with hard man Luigi Pistilli giving the movie a definite spaghetti vibe.

The Evil That Men Do (1984)

How do you follow a Bronson film like Cold Sweat?

With a Bronson film that gives the viewer a cold sweat, a film such as The Evil That Man Do.

In it Charles Bronson basically plays his Death Wish anti-hero Paul Kersey, pulled out of retirement to deal with a sadistic torturer at work in an oppressed South American country.

J Lee Thompson out does even the great Michael Winner in the violence and depravity stakes in this grueling thriller in which some of the torture scenes are genuinely repellent, but he and Bronson knew each other well and this was the third time (out of seven) that the pair teamed up resulting in a slick, fast paced and yes, ultra violent action movie that will definitely grab you by the balls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (26.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg image-asset.jpg (58.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I think i thought of it as a more universal knowledge / zeitgeist thing that is getting reborn but passing on it's knowledge like the Monolith sparking advancement, it doesn't pass on everything but there is a universal awareness and genetic progression.

He see's himself as an old man then we see the embryo in space. It's like seeing your life before you and getting some kind of satisfaction and sense of accomplishment, without regret. Completion.

If there is a god being i can see it being more of a force, like Gaia that holds the universe together, a basic force that doesn't judge or control in any form, but expands consciousness and holds the universe together, so an embryo sums that up i feel, an entity that is just being, a basic force of nature, not male or female just pure.

I mean if there is a omnipresent god why is he such a piece of shit to make children suffer or even pass judgement, everybody has their own problems and a helluva lot of it is self contained and due to upbringing or environment, if there is a conscious god he is a prick and i don't want anything to do with the ****er.(sorry, just venting)

The space gate to me was the primordial soup of being, you can't comprehend it but it kind of was like a god like pure state, if you stare into the abyss for too long it sends you mad. Wasn't that a Nietzsche quote?

This is my interpretation of the final section of 2001, i love the Daisy daisy section but that is a straightforward man against machine face off, if you look at it this way, the first section with the bone spaceship leap is humanity in a basic primitive sense progressing beyond it's capabilities.

The computer against the man is progression of technology, overcoming it's progenitor or at least attempting to, it is where AI is heading, even if it doesn't succeed it will happen.

But i think the real message is that man knows nothing, AI will not win because there is always a universal force that is far more advanced than we can comprehend.

Man, if you wan't to look at it in a basic sense, we cut the grass, plant the seeds but nature and the universe does the rest.

I may have been high though.
My interpretation of the whole film is that everytime the monolith appears its to further human evolution. Sort of like galactic bus stops. Every time it appears it's to signal a change. So fire being one step, which leads to smelting which leads to industry which leads to eventual space travel. Then when it appears on the moon, it's another step, deep space exploration, the dangers of A.I and finally being able to traverse space time. The final time being when Bowman is an old man in the room which to me signifies the bus station, Bowman was chosen to end up here where his life flashes and is then sent onto the next step of human evolution, transcending mind and body to a more cosmic entity hence the space baby at the end, it's just a visual representation of Bowman being reborn as a star child.

But yeah, you really need a hell of a lot of viewings to comprehend just a small percentage of the film.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do You Like Hitchcock? (2005)

Yes, i do, and i also like this stylish tv movie from Dario Argento that borrows heavily from the master of suspense throughout from Rear Window and Strangers on a Train to Vertigo.

It's obviously a homage to Hitchcock and film in general and is lovingly made by Argento (who can't keep from advertising his own output like The Card Player through posters and photos on walls of a local video shop) with good characters and enough exploitative sex and violence to remind the viewer of his seventies heyday, whilst proving his doubters wrong with an efficient and thoroughly enjoyable film in it's own right.
Don't get me wrong because I do like this Argento tv movie. But...being keen to see it as soon as possible, I once downloaded an Italian only copy off the internet (don't worry, I also bought an official dvd as soon as it was made available) and I have to say that 'Do You Like Hitchcock?' was much more impressive when I didn't understand what was being said. When I saw it in English on dvd, it was quite the disappointment to discover that the dialogue was so banal.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Don't get me wrong because I do like this Argento tv movie. But...being keen to see it as soon as possible, I once downloaded an Italian only copy off the internet (don't worry, I also bought an official dvd as soon as it was made available) and I have to say that 'Do You Like Hitchcock?' was much more impressive when I didn't understand what was being said. When I saw it in English on dvd, it was quite the disappointment to discover that the dialogue was so banal.
Has dialogue ever been Argento's strong point? I don't think so.

Discuss.

Like this? Share it using the links below!