All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Drive (1997)

Action film starring Mark Dacascos as a prototype enhanced human, on the run from Chinese-hired hit men, hooks up with Kadeem Hardison , and the two of them elude their pursuers narrowly each time and then teaming up with Brittany Murphy (Who appears to be a sex crazed dippy Motel owner)

A lot of quirky characters in an ok movie, Dacascos has some great fight scenes but it didn't really click for me.

Eight Legged Freaks

An homage to the B-movie level giant animal movie starring David Arquette and Scarlett Johansson (In a earlier role) where a small town is infested with giant Spiders.

Another film that I forgot existed until I came across it and it's a fun movie, some funny deaths including an imprint of a Cat whilst in Wall Plaster.
Love Eight Legged Freaks. Saw it in the cinema when it came out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 24th July 2020, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood (1980)

Second sequel to 1975's The Happy Hooker see's Hammer babe Martine Beswick take over the role of Dutch prostitute Xaviera Hollander from Lynn Redgrave and Joey Heatherton.

This amusing, risque and often downright rude comedy features a brilliant co-starring turn from tv Batman Adam West who steals the film, be it in bed with Beswick, having sex with her in a pool (Surely copied by Showgirls) or wandering round a swish hotel in drag. He's clearly having a blast as is Phil Silvers in sadly what amounts to no more than a couple of scene stealing cameos as a dodgy Hollywood mogul.

Beswick herself isn't shy with many nude scenes in what is really a camp sexploitation film and despite being a Cannon production (They didn't just make action movies) this feels straight out of the early seventies era of Confessions and Adventures of British slap and tickle fun.

Definitely not for the PC minded viewer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Happyhookerposter.jpg (27.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th July 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

23d75670027a4e4dcebfe3841af87343.jpg
JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS (1963)

Awesome picture and most probably Ray Harryhausen's most popular movie.
A feast of technical effects and a great story. The skeleton fight is amazing but the bronze statue of Talos is my favourite. When he first turns his head while on top of the plinth is brilliant.

s-l640.jpg
THE BLUES BROTHERS (1980) Extended cut)

They are on a mission from God and what a ride this is.
Excellent movie with a super music score, car chase carnage and great humour.
Old 24th July 2020, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The films just so much fun , it has it all slapstick , kung fu, hopping Zombies/ Vampires and the picture quality is a huge improvement over the old dvd. 9/10

Those dastardly fiends , Penguin, Catwomen, The Joker and The Riddler team up to take over the world by freeze drying it's leaders, it's up to Batman and and his old chum to put a stop too there evil plans. Wonderfully OTT and bonkers just like the show,pure escapism. 8/10

A animated feature seeing the return of Adam West and Burt Ward as the dynamic duo. Capture the spirit of the show and giving little nods to other Batman films. Catwomen, Joker, Penguin and Riddler have teamed up once again and are up to there old tricks, but this is only the start of Gothams problems when Batman is turned bad and ends up controlling the city with his army of Bat clones. We have a running joke with Aunt Harriet suspicious of Bruce and his young wards constant fishing trips, which she thinks they are sliding up and down each others fishing poles! 8/10

Now watching The Black Cat(1934).
Old 24th July 2020, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Quantum Of Solace & Warhead

Quantum Of Solace

Daniel Craig is back as Bond as he tries to stop a coup in Bolivia orchestrated in order to obtain valuable resources. Gemma Arterton has a small role. Not one of the best Bond films out there with so many jump cuts which became very annoying.

Warhead

Frank Zagarino stars in this B-Movie Actioner where terrorists seize an American nuclear missile site and threaten to launch the missiles at Washington unless the President resigns immediately and $1 billion is placed in a Swiss account. I like the B-Movie Action movies a lot but this is one of the worst of them. Really terrible acting and very corny dialogue, really, really awful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qos.jpg (12.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg w.jpg (12.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th July 2020, 12:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Drive (1997)

Action film starring Mark Dacascos as a prototype enhanced human, on the run from Chinese-hired hit men, hooks up with Kadeem Hardison , and the two of them elude their pursuers narrowly each time and then teaming up with Brittany Murphy (Who appears to be a sex crazed dippy Motel owner)

A lot of quirky characters in an ok movie, Dacascos has some great fight scenes but it didn't really click for me.
Drive is awesome. It's the closest the west ever got to bringing that 90s HK martial arts Action style to movies pre-The Matrix. It's like a live action adaptation of an Anime/manga that doesn't exist, I understand its not for everyone but glad you watched it.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th July 2020, 06:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Land Unknown. 1957.

On a naval expedition, three men and a female reporter crash land in a deep crater in Antarctica and discover a prehistoric world.

This is 50s old school B movies that is still fun to watch, the plot may seem daft but for some reason it does actually work, the actors make it believable that there is another world that exists of creatures. The dinosaurs aren't done well by the special effects team and people dressing up in suits but you go with what you can with the budget you have. It doesn't hang back with the pace as it does seem to be paced perfectly and nothing seems to be rushed which makes it more enjoyable, 50s movie fans will enjoy this little number.

61LkN4RjEIL._AC_.jpg
Old 25th July 2020, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Amazons and Gladiators (2001)

You know when you watch a movie that you can tell clearly isn't very good but enjoy it anyway? Well Amazons and Gladiators is definitely one of those pictures.

Hitting screens in Gladiator's slipstream this aspires to be something that it soon becomes obvious it will never achieve. The acting is less Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix and co and more like the inept Ted Raimi side of Xena. Patrick Bergin hams things up as the nasty Roman General Crassus bedding wenches and murdering slaves whilst Jennifer Rubin copes as best she can with, shall we say haphazard dialogue. Meanwhile the heroine of the piece Serena, as played by Nicole Hiltz is definitely more Baywatch babe than fighting Amazon. It was great to see former Doctor Who actress Mary Tamm in the movie as Zenobia, Queen of the Amazons.

And yet, despite the cheapness of the production, the obvious character absurdities, the half arsed script, the clunky fight scenes and the obligatory orgy i found it all thoroughly entertaining. If they'd only decided to go full on exploitation as Spartacus would do a few years later this could have been a classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91MQKwgvkOL._RI_.jpg (99.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th July 2020, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Prince Caspian, Judgment Night & Innocent Blood

Prince Caspian

The children return to Narnia to help a displaced Prince to recapture his crown. Sequel to The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe and whilst it isn't bad unfortunately, I felt that at 2hr 20min, it was too long for my liking.

Judgment Night

Emilio Estevez and Cuba Gooding Jr. are among 4 friends who witness a murder by Dennis Leary and therefore go on the run throughout Chicago whilst being hunted gang by Leary and his gang. I enjoyed seeing this more than when I originally rented it out back in 93 (Probably because at the time, it was a film I wanted to see due to seeing the advert on Hard Target) If you're looking for a film in the current 2 for 15 offer HMV have, you could do a lot worse.

Innocent Blood

A Vampire that only kills bad guys fails in her latest attempt only for the intended victim to become a Vampire himself, leading him to create his own his own family of Vampires. To stop him, she teams with an undercover cop who was infiltrating the gang. From the Director of An American Werewolf In London, It's an enjoyable watch but it's not one of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc.jpg (17.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jn.jpg (13.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ib.jpg (11.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th July 2020, 09:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

s-l400.jpg
LOVE AND DEATH (1975)

Pacifist Woody Allen is enlisted in the Russian army in the war with Napoleon.
Woody and his wife (Diane Keaton) hatch a plot to meet with Napoleon and assassinate him.
Very funny slapstick Woody with lots of thoughts about life, love, God and death. Death seems to be his favourite subject.

Abominable_Snowman_movie.jpg
THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (1957)

Every time I watch this, I am reminded of the first time I ever saw the film.
It was on TV early morning about 1:30am. This must be about 25 years ago.
Full of excitement as this was a rare Hammer in those days, I watched the film through, recorded it on VHS and and cut the adverts out. Excellent!
Great film and I am always impressed by the sometimes claustrophobic snow scenes shot at Pinewood.

Like this? Share it using the links below!