Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:15 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Welcome back Argentofan

Despite its multiple flaws, I find Hellgate to be very watchable and enjoyable.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’ve never seen Hellgate, I bought the Arrow blu that was limited to 100 copies or whatever it was, never watched it and when I saw that CEX were paying £50 for it, off it went
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

An enjoyable action sci-fi take on Groundhog Day with a splash of Starship Troopers and half a bottle of Tom Cruise into the mix.

Decent direction by Doug Liman with Emily Blunt leading a British tv support cast (Jonas Armstrong, Lara Pulver etal) this is the definition of a pure video game movie but it's watchable enough nonsense which is almost let down by the action packed finale which is too dark to make out everything that happens
Old 2nd August 2020, 05:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

lf.jpg
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX
(BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK) (1972)

Really funny (for me anyway) Woody Allen movie in which he takes seven sketches about sex subjects and injects his zany humour.

91eIIVx+K6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
ESCAPE TO ATHENA (1979)

Allied prisoners of war are digging for ancient artefacts for the Germans on a Greek island.
The prisoners team up with a resistance movement and help to clear the Germans from the area and a hilltop monastery, always with hope of gaining the treasures from the monastery..

A mix of comedy and action in a movie from Lew Grade's ITC Entertainment.
Features a great motorcycle chase through small alleyways.
I always found the casting of Roger Moore as a German Officer rather curious though!
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default I married

I married a monster from outer space.(1958)
Bill leaves his stag party early on,only to get ambushed on the way,by a Martian who somehow manages to takes over Bills body...Of course Bills newly married wife starts to suspect that something is not what it should be... Marge starts to worry that Bill hasn't got her pregnant yet,so to celebrate there anniversary she gets Bill a dog,who immediately takes a dislike to Bill,so Bill strangles the mutt, although at first he considers caving the dog's head in with a hammer...Alien men are taking over the bodies of earth men so they can basically shag earth females.. While the plot is pure science fiction hokum,it's filmed very much more in the style of the film noir,and obviously owes a huge dept to Invasion of the Body Snatchers ,made a couple of years previously...Tom Tryon does an excellent job acting all wooden,like he was brain washed and taken over by an alien being, perhaps he was who knows...Gloria Talbott does an admirable job of being the paranoid wife,who finds out what really happened to her Bill..I Married covers all the 1950s movie bases, paranoia, sexual politics and scary looking aliens... not bonkers,but close...

Old 2nd August 2020, 07:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 226660

EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX

(BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK) (1972)

Really funny (for me anyway) Woody Allen movie in which he takes seven sketches about sex subjects and injects his zany humour.
I can't stand Woody Alan and could never bear to watch an actual movie of his, but the scene in this with Gene Wilder and the Armenian shepherd is hysterical.
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Bugsy Malone (1976) ★★★★½

I've seen Bugsy Malone loads of times since first watching it on TV and then VHS when I was a kid. I remember it being exciting and funny when I was young, and watching it as an adult, someone who is cine-literate and can recognise all the in jokes and references, makes it an even richer and amusing watch.

It might be cruel to say that Scott Baio peaked in his debut as a child, but it's tough to argue he was any better in Happy Days or the later sitcoms in which he appeared, Jodie Foster built on the early promise shown in Alice Doesn't Live Here Any More and Taxi Driver to deliver a great performance, And the entire ensemble are all charming and do a great job with the smart, witty dialogue and lip syncing along to Paul Williams' terrific songs.

In his debut film, Alan Parker's writing and direction really sparkle and carried with energy and invention. I would put this in a list of my 10 favourite gangster films and would, without hesitation, recommended to children of all ages.

Old 2nd August 2020, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Absolute Power (1997)

A superior political conspiracy thriller scripted by William Goldman about a master jewel thief who witnesses a murder by Secret Service agents.

Clint Eastwood directs, produced and also stars, heading a top ensemble cast including Gene Hackman, Laura Linney, Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Judy Davis, Dennis Haysbert and E.G. Marshall in his last screen role.

The plot bubbles along nicely with the odd absurdity along the way but this is an intelligent piece of film making, intriguing and gripping, and the sort of movie they don't seem to make nowadays. More's the pity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61qxgrkeCjL._AC_SL1177_.jpg (60.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Phase IV, Hook & Man With The Golden Gun

Phase IV

Scientists realize that Ants are becoming intelligent and try to stop them before they take overrun the population. This is more of an intelligent type of killer creature movie not the animal killing humans type and not having the ability to use CGI helps as well. Very decent film.

Hook

Dustin Hoffman stars as Captain Hook who attempts to get revenge on Peter Pan (Robin Williams) by abducting his children. Julia Roberts plays Tinkerbell whereas Bob Hoskins plays Smee.

I remember seeing this as a child at the Cinema but got bored as it takes a bit of time to get the story going and there are some longer dialogue scenes spread out as well during. Now that I'm older, I can certainly appreciate the performance of Hoffman but unfortunately, it's not the all time classic, I'm sure the makers were hoping for. A family film that is over 2 hours needs to flow easier.

Man With The Golden Gun

Rodger Moore is Bond up against Master Assassin Christopher Lee, it's a decent attempt but I felt that the introduction of a backstory regarding Energy ruined it and diverted what would have been a much better story of a battle of wills between Moore and Lee (To be fair, the opening scene did hint that)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piv.jpg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg h.jpg (9.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mwtgg.jpg (14.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Phase IV

Scientists realize that Ants are becoming intelligent and try to stop them before they take overrun the population. This is more of an intelligent type of killer creature movie not the animal killing humans type and not having the ability to use CGI helps as well. Very decent film.
I should revisit this. Everyone seems to like it and i hated it on first viewing.

Glad i never actually got rid of my Legend Films US dvd.

Like this? Share it using the links below!