Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2020, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)

A classic Clint Eastwood western from director Don Siegel which borders on spaghetti western territory thanks to a brilliant and beautifully quirky soundtrack by Ennio Morricone who in my opinion is on another level here.

The story itself is fairly simple and rather typical spaghetti one about a plan to blow up a French garrison in Mexico and steal their gold, however the real treasure in this film is Eastwood's co-star Shirley Maclaine as Sister Sara, a nun he finds out in the desert about to be raped by three scummy types.

Maclaine is brilliant, (and also the sexiest nun i think i've seen in a film) the way she and Eastwood spar off one another really makes the movie thanks to a smart and witty script by Albert Maltz, as do the the scrapes they get into before the garrison attack such as blowing up a wooden bridge which Maclaine has to climb due to Clint's shoulder wound and the sealing of said wound as Sara has to remove an arrow from his shoulder whilst aflame to cauterize the bleeding.

Sara travels the film on the back of a small burro (donkey) which is complemented mischievously by Morricone's music accompaniment. Maclaine's name comes up first in the opening titles and it really is her film but Clint of course is Clint, oozing charisma and laconic cool and his character is not a million miles from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly's 'Blondie'

Don Siegel keeps things moving in a pacy film which culminates in the attack on the French garrison and an explosive climax. Quentin Tarantino called this movie 'Half assed and mediocre'. He's wrong!
Old 10th August 2020, 12:58 AM
Cult Addict

Glad someone else rates Sister Sara, it's overlooked a lot but i really like it, and i agree about the score too.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th August 2020, 07:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default J.D.'s Revenge (1976)

Blaxploitation thriller about J.D., a gangster in the 40's, who is killed after being wrongfully accused of killing his sister.

Fast forward thirty years and we meet Ike. A mild-mannered law student, Ike, is persuaded by his wife to go out on a night out for their friends' first anniversary.

During the night out, they decide it would be fun to visit a hypnotist. Ike is one of the volunteers. During the performance, Ike is possessed by the spirit of J.D., in which he gradually takes on J.D.'d behaviour, dress sense and mannerisms, becoming extremely violent and seeking revenge on the people responsible for he and his sister's deaths.

This film is very entertaining. The pacing is perfect, Glynn Turman is absolubtely brilliant as Ike/possessed Ike in a Jekyll/Hyde performance. Louis Gossett Jr. is also very good as an energetic priest who J.D. has a history with.

I struggle to find any real complaints about this film. Maybe it could have been a little longer, to give a little more development between three of the characters (any more will head into spoiler territory). It also flashes back too many times to the cow having its throat cut, but it didn't bother me too much. Not for the squeamish.

I loved this! 8/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J.D.'s Revenge.jpg (67.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th August 2020, 07:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

unnamed.jpg

When a murderous Grizzly gets sick of his fish and berry diet he fancies something new to break the monotony of his daily routine. Once he gets the taste of human flesh he just can't get enough so he hits the national park where he knows there are plenty of dumbass tourist camping and straying off the trail. Will it be easy pickings for this 8 foot beast hell to the yeah it will be. The park ranger gathers his men together to track and kill the bear but the mayor goes public and every drunken redneck hunter and wannabe hero shows up in town to claim the prize hampering the park ranger and putting even more lives in danger.

Love this film it's just so much fun and i always love a film where nature gets its own back on the human race. There is blood and gore a plenty with limbs and faces getting ripped off with reckless abandon this grizzly is having a blast and i was having just as much fun and it kept reminding me of a lovely steak i had for dinner earlier i bet he would of enjoyed the pepper sauce i had with his meat

8/10

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 10th August 2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10th August 2020, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the Donner cut which I prefer too the normal version, it gets rid of the pointless Paris scene and connects the first film, with one of the missiles in that being responsible for freeing Zod. Lois suspecting Clark is better in this version, but the scenes with supermans mother from the original version I found better than the ones with his farther added here. 8/10

This is where it starts going down hill, the whole slapstick bits just didn't work and Pryor was terrible miscast. Because of the vastly reduced budget we never got see what the film was going to be, a story involving Brainiac. 6/10

It really is a product of its time, with its anti nuclear message and it's definitely a cannon movie. But sadly it's quite boring it's well over half time before anything happens. 5/10

Might have bit of a bad rep, but it's superior to what followed , the story might not be the greatest but unlike man of steel it captures the spirit of superman and the Reeves movies, it's a shame Routh didn't get another go as he was actually pretty decent and found him better than anyone that followed , but he did get too play the role once more in crisis on infinite earths and for me was the best thing in it, felt like the man of steel and captured the spirit of Reeves perfectly. 7/10

Now watching maniac cop.
Old 10th August 2020, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Watched the Donner cut which I prefer too the normal version, it gets rid of the pointless Paris scene and connects the first film, with one of the missiles in that being responsible for freeing Zod. Lois suspecting Clark is better in this version, but the scenes with supermans mother from the original version I found better than the ones with his farther added here. 8/10
Yeah, Donner's version would have been a so much better release.
I did not like the comedy in the theatrical cut. Zod, Ursa and Non are treated like a joke instead of the murderous trio they are.

Quote:
Might have bit of a bad rep, but it's superior to what followed , the story might not be the greatest but unlike man of steel it captures the spirit of superman and the Reeves movies, it's a shame Routh didn't get another go as he was actually pretty decent
Routh was a good Superman. The film has good moments and like you say it captures the spiriy of the Reeves movies. The best for me being Superman and Lois flight and the sad scene where Superman flies over Lois house.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 10th August 2020, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

This is where it starts going down hill, the whole slapstick bits just didn't work and Pryor was terrible miscast. Because of the vastly reduced budget we never got see what the film was going to be, a story involving Brainiac. 6/10

It really is a product of its time, with its anti nuclear message and it's definitely a cannon movie. But sadly it's quite boring it's well over half time before anything happens. 5/10

Might have bit of a bad rep, but it's superior to what followed , the story might not be the greatest but unlike man of steel it captures the spirit of superman and the Reeves movies, it's a shame Routh didn't get another go as he was actually pretty decent and found him better than anyone that followed , but he did get too play the role once more in crisis on infinite earths and for me was the best thing in it, felt like the man of steel and captured the spirit of Reeves perfectly. 7/10

Now watching maniac cop.
Superman III was the very 1st video rented when my Mum got a Video Recorder
Old 10th August 2020, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Last 7 Films Watched

An American Werewolf In Paris

Some American Tourists go to Paris where one of them falls in love with a local woman who happens to be a Werewolf. Not a bad movie, would have been better if An American Werewolf In London hadn't existed. The Soundtrack didn't really fit in well though.

Recoil

Gary Daniels is a Policeman who kills a Teenager who was part of a robbery crew. However a Mob Boss is the Teen's Father who exacts revenge which means Daniel's swears revenge also.

A P/M Entertainment film full of shootouts and car chases, a lot of fun.

Fist Of Honor

Sam Jones is a Mob Enforcer who is caught up in a war between 2 Mob Factions whilst in the start of a truce. A very watchable film if you're into these things.

The Spy Who Loved Me

Bond has to team up with a Russian Spy in order to stop a villain based undersea. A fun Bond film which has one of the best Bond Theme Songs.

We Summon The Darkness

3 religious Teens abduct 3 other Teens in order to complete the task ordered by a religious leader played by Johnny Knoxville. An entertaining Horror film where it was a shame that Knoxville wasn't in it much as I thought he played his role well.

Maybe if there is a sequel, he's in it more.

Moonraker

Bond is back tackling a Billionaire who wants to recreate Noah's Ark from Space. I believe that this is the introduction of Jaws (I liked that he found a Girlfriend) Interesting film but a little too long for my liking.

Cold Harvest

Set in a post apocalyptic world, Gary Daniels is a Bounty Hunter who is after the man who killed his identical brother. Not bad but not great either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aawip.jpg (13.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg r.jpg (10.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg foh.jpg (15.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tswlm.jpg (12.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wstd.jpg (14.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg m.jpg (15.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ch.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th August 2020, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Spy introduced Jaws, Moonraker was his second appearance.
Old 11th August 2020, 06:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Men Walk. 1943.

A small town doctor, notices something odd about his twin brother and thinks he is a devil worshiper and kills him. Now the twin is back and plans to seek revenge.

This was a decent low budget horror flick with it's dark grainy atmosphere that can make it more chilling. George Zucco plays dual roles as Lloyd and Elwyn Clayton, one good and one evil brother and his performance is on top notch form. Dwight Frye stars as Zolarr who seems to be the assistant that almost resembles Renfield from Dracula or Igor from Frankenstein. At 64 minutes the film did have that feeling that it can go on for a bit longer but still enjoyable to watch.

MV5BZmZmNTRiZGQtYjcyMS00YzM4LWFkYzEtNjJhZjAxZDY2NDM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDMxMjQwMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!