Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2020, 09:22 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oblivion (2013) ★★★½

I was unimpressed with much of Joseph Kosinski's Tron: Legacy, though it's a visually striking film. That aspect of his work is by far the strongest part of Oblivion, which is a beautifully designed and aesthetically stunning film.

The narrative is less impressive, feeling occasionally patchy a little muddled, though these are issues brought about by being overambitious – I'd much rather watch a film which is being overambitious and flawed than oversimplistic and dull – and Tom Cruise gives a very good lead performance. (He's extremely well supported by Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko.)

I really like by Anthony Gonzalez' and Joseph Trapanese's score as the music perfectly complement the visuals, emphasises the excitement and tempo of the action sequences and subtly underscores the emotional beats.

I think this is the third time I've seen Oblivion and I've always found it enjoyable, interesting, and rewarding. I'll probably watch it again tomorrow with the commentary by Joseph Kosinski and Tom Cruise.

Old 25th August 2020, 09:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Belle (2013) ★★★★½

Directed with style and sense of purpose by Amma Asante, and with a terrific breakthrough performance from Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Belle is a film I've now enjoyed on several occasions.

In light of the Black Lives Matter movement and the recent interest in cases such as Gregson v. Gilbert (commonly known as the Zorg case), this was a more intellectually engaging experience than any prior viewing.

If there's one thing British cinema tends to do well, it's costume dramas, and this is no exception to that very loose rule. With great locations, superb costumes and production design, a lush, stirring score, and fine performances from a cast including Tom Wilkinson, Emily Watson, Sarah Gadon, Miranda Richardson, Penelope Wilton, and Sam Reid, it's a visually sumptuous, compelling, and emotive film.

Although the screenplay may have taken some poetic licence with historical facts, Belle is an engrossing film with a social conscience and an ending which packs an emotional punch.

Old 26th August 2020, 07:47 PM
Cult Master

600full-cry-of-the-banshee-poster.jpg

Lord Edward Whitman and his family terrorise the local villagers trying to weed out all the witches or what he believe are witches. He actually seems more intent on just torture and humiliation for the amusement of himself and his guests. One night his son and a couple of friends enter a tavern and start to harass a barmaid and once she rejects their advances they turn their attention to another village girl with a basket of shells and feathers accusing her of witchcraft in order to save her life she gives the whereabouts of a witch and her coven who live in the nearby woods. As soon as the magistrate Lord Edward Whitman hears this he wastes no time in gathering his men and going after the witch Una and murdering most of her children but he foolishly lets her live to have to deal with the consequences of her blasphemy against god. Una is nothing taking this lying down and she puts a curse on the Whitman family.

Vincent Price is the standout here as teatrical as ever all his scenes are great from humiliating people and enjoying every second of it then slapping his adult children around and laughing like a maniac afterward and then panic fear and the sudden realisation that all his bad deeds are catching up on him and he no longer holds the power all acted out in such an over the top manner it's fantastic.

I had two issues with the film first i would of liked to have more of the beast Una sends after the family not even to see it more clearly i like the unknown and suspense of it but even just have it involved a bit more in the film keep it in the shadows or whatever but just to feel its presence.

The other thing was the Una situation i mean the magistrate is so ruthless killing and torturing anyone suspected of witchcraft and when he is faced with the root of his problems and even when she tells him you better kill me he just says nah your grand now just leave town and we will say no more about it just seemed pretty stupid to me.

That aside it's a fun film and Pricey is fantastic and that's enough for me.

7/10
Old 26th August 2020, 08:29 PM
Cult Master

unnamed.jpg

A group of friends on a road trip pick up a hitchhiker and to him one good deed deserves another so he invites them to come stay at his parents camping site which has already closed for the after the holiday season so they will have the place to themselves which sweetens the deal even further. There are two issues with the campsite one is the father is an absolute asshole who hates everyone including his wife and his son the man is anger constantly on the offensive waiting to strike anyone who looks sideways at him and maybe more importantly the site is stalked by an even angrier murderous shaman.

If you're looking for anything original here you will be very disappointed but if your just looking for a bit of fun with a run of the mill camping in the woods slasher then you can do alot worse than this. I really enjoyed it the characters are dumb but i didn't feel like i hated them to the point where i couldn't wait for them to die. The definite stand out is David Hess i always love an angry character in films i find there over the top shouting and mood swings hilarious but you always get that extra feeling that something a little more sinister will happen when dealing with David Hess in any film he always has that look in his eye.

I have to give a mention to the absolutely beautiful setting the woods hills and rivers all look amazing.

7/10
Old 26th August 2020, 08:44 PM
Cult Addict

What did you watch Body Count on Nordy, is there a decent uncut release on dvd or blu?

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:54 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
What did you watch Body Count on Nordy, is there a decent uncut release on dvd or blu?
I watched it on Amazon Prime.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Return of the Living Dead. An old gas canister leaks at a military surplus warehouse, reanimating a frozen corpse, but attempts to contain the problem make it ten times worse... and soon the inhabitants of the local graveyard are up and at 'em! This riotous mid 80s cult comedy horror classic is still every as bit as entertaining now as it ever was. Just great fun. All together now....:

"BRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSS"!*
Old 26th August 2020, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Ebay uncut £15
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bodycount...sAAOSwEeFU8C0e
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 26th August 2020, 09:08 PM
Cult Addict

Yep i was looking at foreign copies at one point but wasn't sure of P.Q.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 26th August 2020, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Yep i was looking at foreign copies at one point but wasn't sure of P.Q.
According to dvd rewind avoid the uk version, rest are uncut.
https://www.dvdcompare.net/compariso...m.php?fid=3076
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!