Like Tree179018Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2020, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Planet Of The Apes. 1968.

A astronaut crew slip through a time barrier and crash land on a planet in the future where apes are the leaders and the humans are enslaved.

Both this film and 2001: A Space Odyssey seem to be the year box office films were released and held a audience in captivation, 52 years later and both films have still captivating this generation of film goers with special effects from the start and make up process.

Charlton Heston plays Taylor a survivor of the crew and leader who is treated like a prisoner and test subject to Zira (Kim Hunter) until she realises he can communicate and Cornelius (Roddy McDowell) has his doubts but is slowly warming up to Taylor, Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) believes man to be a threat and is seen as a bully but is afraid as well.

The first time i saw this i was amazed by the great acting involved with the actors portraying the apes on how they walked and acted like apes and the make up by John Chambers who was the creative designer and brilliant cinematography Leon Shamroy and excellent background score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Attachment 227283
I love the tv series, always remember watching it, well kinda my parents had it on and I was only a child but sat there watching it with them, It’s become a cult tv show in its own rights, it was something completely different than anything thats been done before.
Dave Boy, nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 28th August 2020, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I love the tv series, always remember watching it, well kinda my parents had it on and I was only a child but sat there watching it with them, It’s become a cult tv show in its own rights, it was something completely different than anything thats been done before.
Never seen the tv series, is it worth a watch?
Old 28th August 2020, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Never seen the tv series, is it worth a watch?
100% absolutely I rewatched it about 10yrs ago r so, there 5 films from the original franchise, Then all the modern remakes, if you like the films you’ll love the series.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 29th August 2020, 12:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

gag, will have a look for them
Old 29th August 2020, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beneath The Planet of the Apes. 1970.

A sole survivor of a interplanetary rescue mission looks for survivors from the first expedition only to uncover a planet ruled by apes and a city underneath ruled by telepathic humans.

This was a decent follow up to the first film, Linda Harrison and Charlton Heston makes a small appearance at the start and towards the end so we can only assume what he went through with the telepathic humans. Kim Hunter also returns as the sympathetic Zira and David Watson as Cornelius. This part follows Brent (James Francisus) who somehow landed at the near exact same time as Taylor only to discover intelligent apes.

Even though this may seem to drag on for a little bit, it does get interesting on how subterranean humans seem to be at war with the apes and seeking help to over rule them and looking for a way to kill them and reclaim the planet for humans. Only thing i found creepy about this film was the humans when they were chanting to their god with their natural scarred faces.

beneath-the-planet-of-the-apes-still.jpg
Old 29th August 2020, 12:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
gag, will have a look for them
Cex has boxsets of all 8 films for just £6 and tv series for £8.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 29th August 2020, 03:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Escape from Planet of the Apes. 1971.

After a U.S. Spacecraft lands and three talking chimpanzees crawl out they are strangers then treated as celebrities until one man believes them to be a threat.

The film is set in 1973, as the apes have crossed over the same whirl pool as Taylor and Brent, except they have gone back in time. Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter reprise their roles as Cornelius and Zira, who prove to be more intelligent than man and seem to have a laugh with the tests they are put through and in front of a panel. With the destruction of their planet and Zira being pregnant a member of the President's office deems them to be dangerous. Right from the start we are warmed up to them and then feel some sympathy for the couple as they attempt to live with humans. Charlton Heston once said that they should be no sequels as Planet of the apes is a film on it's own which he is right as the first being a true classic but the sequels make the film series enjoyable to watch. Sal Mineo and Ricardo Montalban make some nice small role appearances.

escape-from-the-planet-of-the-apes.jpg
Old 29th August 2020, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. 1972. (Extended Cut)

After a disease has wiped out cats and dogs in 1983, monkeys and apes are trained to be domesticated. in 1991, circus owner Armando arrives with a ape to distribute fliers for his circus, when they see apes being treated badly the monkey speaks, Armando sticks up for the ape who is told to hide amongst his kind. He is then sold at auction and decides to form a rebellion against mankind, alas Caesar has voice and lead his people to freedom.

Taking place some years after the previous film, Roddy Mcdowell takes lead stage again as Cornelius and Zira's son Caesar who survived with Amramndo played Ricardo Montalban who has a longer role in this film. Hari Rhodes plays MacDonald who is chief aid to Gov. Breck ( Don Murray) and finds Caesar can talk and tries to help him .

With the extended version there is more violence that was taken out and the ending changed due to negativity from test audiences, it was good to see the original intended ending with the apes stacking up bodies and all we can do is sit back and cheer, apes can be more intelligent than man and never be taken for granted,

ad451011a4ef5501b7240cd429fdbde1-conquest-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-1469757726.jpg
Old 29th August 2020, 06:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Planet Of The Apes. 1968.

A astronaut crew slip through a time barrier and crash land on a planet in the future where apes are the leaders and the humans are enslaved.

Both this film and 2001: A Space Odyssey seem to be the year box office films were released and held a audience in captivation, 52 years later and both films have still captivating this generation of film goers with special effects from the start and make up process.

Charlton Heston plays Taylor a survivor of the crew and leader who is treated like a prisoner and test subject to Zira (Kim Hunter) until she realises he can communicate and Cornelius (Roddy McDowell) has his doubts but is slowly warming up to Taylor, Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans) believes man to be a threat and is seen as a bully but is afraid as well.

The first time i saw this i was amazed by the great acting involved with the actors portraying the apes on how they walked and acted like apes and the make up by John Chambers who was the creative designer and brilliant cinematography Leon Shamroy and excellent background score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Attachment 227283
Amazing film.

I'm not a sci fi person but this is endlessly watchable, clever & thought provoking.

Never been bettered.

I have just watched The Old Dark House (eureka) THREE TIMES in two nights.
Love this movie, and I have loads lined up to follow it....
Invisible Man, Frankenstein & Bride of (Whale), Dead of Night, The Innocents, The Uninvited (criterion), Cat & the Canary.

Can anybody reccomend a good list of "old dark house" movies, either humerous or serious, the kind I could get from an ebay seller *cough*

Muchly appreciated...
Old 29th August 2020, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Depends how far you go and if you like the classics check out YouTube 1940s horror movies, source of some old forgotten films that still keep me quiet.

Like this? Share it using the links below!