All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Katalin Varga (2009)

Banished by her husband and her village, Katalin Varga is left with no other choice than to set out on a quest to find the real father of her son, Orban. Taking Orban with her, Katalin travels through the Carpathians where she decides to reopen a sinister chapter from her past and take revenge. The hunt leads her to a place, she prayed eleven years prior, she would never set foot in again.

A brilliant haunting film set in Romania, Transylvania to be precise. Katalin Varga showcases some of the countries breathtaking beauty and quaint, almost timeless, rural villages. The use of mobile phones seemingly at odds with the horse and cart mode of transport Katalin uses for her travel. Once you have stopped staring in awe at the luscious scenery you become almost mesmerized by the performance of Hilda Peter as Katalin. She gives a multi-faceted performance making the character strong, seductive, yet vulnerable and horribly alone even though she is with her son throughout the movie. For the rest of the characters director Peter Strickland used local actors, some who had never actually acted previously and they all perform with understated perfection.

The film is deliberately slow paced allowing the viewer to, if not appreciate Varga's actions then sympathise with them as we see how past events have ruined her life as well as giving her, her beloved son Orban, despite this the film is not a sentimental weepy. When violence occurs it is brutal, short and to the point, and almost feels out of place, adding to the films realism or should that be surrealism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg katalin-varga-movie-poster-2009-1020523284.jpg (69.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd September 2020, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Selene is a vampire whom discovers that's the werewolves leader Lucian (Michael Sheen) long thought to be dead is massing a werewolf army and is looking for a werewolf/ vampire hybrid to destroy the vampires. Always enjoyed this film and it's not just because of Bekinsale and that outfit! 8/10

Taking place straight after the first, Selene is on the run after killing Viktor( Bill Nighy), things get worse when the first vampire Marcus is s resurrected seeking revenge and to free his brother William who is the first werewolf. 7.5/10

Not seen this one before. It's a prequel that deals with Lucian who is the first werewolf to control the change and becomes there leader, whom turns against his Vampire Viktor when Viktor finds out his been porking his Daughter Sonja (Rhona Mitra) with Rhona looking quite similar too Selene it's not hard too see why Viktor was reminded of his daughter. Have to say as great as Selene was in the movies, Lucian was probably the most interesting of all the characters . Would of liked a sequel too this dealing with the backstory we hear in the first. 7.5/10

A modern retelling of the invisible man tale, with who the director was was expecting it to be more action packed and violent , all in all it was a quite slow. But the effects are good (for its day) 6/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd September 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Babe

Classic film based on the book where a Pig becomes a Sheep-Pig much to the annoyance of a Sheep-Dog. What is not to like about this film also didn't know that it was up for several Oscars including Best Film (Which was well deserved)

The Last Hunter

David Warbeck is in Vietnam on a mission where his unit is in numerous gun battles.

This film was not on my radar when Vipco released it so I didn't bother with it at the time. However seeing it featured on one of The Video Nasty releases from Nucleus, I wanted it so I finally got it on order from CEX. The picture on the Website was the Vipco cover however when I received it, the copy was from 23rd Century Films (Which was a surprise) the picture was so abysmal, it took me out of it but I liked what I saw.

I'm hoping 88, Arrow maybe Shameless will release it. mind you I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been already.

Mad Foxes

Another film I saw on that Video Nasty DVD that I finally ordered, what a bonkers movie, I have no idea what to make of it.

The Acting and Script is abysmal

The good guys and bad guys I think I could take in a fight.

There probably wasn't a Fight Co-Ordinator on set because the strikes thrown were slow and didn't look damaging at all.

Complete random sex/nudity (Especially the Beach scene)

Some nice scenes of violence.

Not sure if the original intention was to make a serious movie but it did come off as quite comedic. I had too higher expectations as I've wanted to see this for a long while so whilst it didn't meet those expectations, I'm going to give it another shot down the line to give it a fairer assessment.

I didn't dislike it but I'm happy with the DVD I've got so a UK release, I won't be interested in.

EASY EASY ROCKER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg tlh.jpg (16.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mf.jpg (15.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Babe

Classic film based on the book where a Pig becomes a Sheep-Pig much to the annoyance of a Sheep-Dog. What is not to like about this film also didn't know that it was up for several Oscars including Best Film (Which was well deserved)

The Last Hunter

David Warbeck is in Vietnam on a mission where his unit is in numerous gun battles.

This film was not on my radar when Vipco released it so I didn't bother with it at the time. However seeing it featured on one of The Video Nasty releases from Nucleus, I wanted it so I finally got it on order from CEX. The picture on the Website was the Vipco cover however when I received it, the copy was from 23rd Century Films (Which was a surprise) the picture was so abysmal, it took me out of it but I liked what I saw.

I'm hoping 88, Arrow maybe Shameless will release it. mind you I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been already.

Mad Foxes

Another film I saw on that Video Nasty DVD that I finally ordered, what a bonkers movie, I have no idea what to make of it.

The Acting and Script is abysmal

The good guys and bad guys I think I could take in a fight.

There probably wasn't a Fight Co-Ordinator on set because the strikes thrown were slow and didn't look damaging at all.

Complete random sex/nudity (Especially the Beach scene)

Some nice scenes of violence.

Not sure if the original intention was to make a serious movie but it did come off as quite comedic. I had too higher expectations as I've wanted to see this for a long while so whilst it didn't meet those expectations, I'm going to give it another shot down the line to give it a fairer assessment.

I didn't dislike it but I'm happy with the DVD I've got so a UK release, I won't be interested in.

EASY EASY ROCKER

The Last Hunter is a great film just a shame the version i had was badly edited
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd September 2020, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dark Sky Films released The Last Hunter as a special edition dvd several years ago. It's still available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Hunter.../dp/B000OCY7R6
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched Deliverance with Boorman's comm. Very interesting and informative, like all good comms should be tbh.
There's a comm on Bad Guy (with subs!) so I'll be checking that out tonight methinks!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 23rd September 2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:48 PM
Cult Veteran

The Basketball Diaries (1995)

I watched this a lot when it had first come out, I had it on a VHS tape, probably ex-rental. I've not watched it since I got a DVD player and donated all my tapes!

Man, does Marky Mark almost ruin this film, the boy could. not. act. Lucky for us Leonardo DiCaprio and Juliette Lewis are on fine form. However, the film itself is ultimately a massive downer, heroin stories are not fun, all cold sweats, scabby faces and puke and piss stains!

That being said, it's the first time I've seen the famous 'school shoot out' dream sequence, that bit was snipped by the censors in the UK back in the day.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd September 2020, 07:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This time the whole world knows about werewolves and vampires , Selene is captured and escapes 12 years later , finding out both werewolves and vampires are endangered species , she helps a coven of vampires ,discovers she has a daughter and the werewolves have a plan to wipe out the remaining vampires with a breed a super werewolves.

Not a patch on the other movies, the new characters are boring and forgettable , looks like a made for tv movie, don't have high hopes for the last film. 5/10
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran

I've only ever seen half of the first Underworld film, I keep meaning to give them all a try, maybe I will at some point
trebor8273 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd September 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've only ever seen half of the first Underworld film, I keep meaning to give them all a try, maybe I will at some point
Beckinsale leather and PVC that's all you need to know !

That's only thing that kept me watching the last one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!