Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Daughters Of Darkness (Harry Kummel)

Languorous vampire tale. A young couple meet two women on a European tour whilst honeymooning. They aren't .... unfriendly certainly. But by gum, they take their time about it ahem.
Look, I know as a Jess Franco fan I have no legs at all to stand on regarding "expressionistic" cinema.
I KNOW
But this has always bored me rigid. Revisiting didn't help. It doesn't help either that apparently twas made to put his arty farty colleagues' noses out of joint, so I never really "felt it", and this is probably why ...

Give me a cloak and a scythe any day (or day for night tee hee)

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2020, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HELLGATE – This notorious example of accidental surrealism makes less and less sense as the years go by. Sometimes I can’t work out whether it’s a bad film played straight, or worse, an attempt at comedy that turned out excruciatingly unfunny, but whatever foul magic pulled it into existence, its unholy collision of zombie-producing laser crystals, bad western film sets masquerading as towns, ghostly can-can dances and guys with random bits of metal stuck to their faces still leaves me feeling a bit high to this day. Highest recommend.

CRUCIBLE OF TERROR – Really good seventies Brit horror which is a bit like a coastal giallo until its crazy plunge into the supernatural at the end. Unlikely lad James Bolam is a groovy gallerist who visits the retreat of his drunken pal’s mad artist dad. Nothing heavy or sleazy, just a few tame murders and a parade of weird characters and strange moments, but lots of good atmosphere and eccentricity.

FRANKY AND HIS PALS – I would say that this stillborn ‘horror comedy’ has to be seen to be believed, but, having seen it, I can’t quite bring myself to believe it. Shot on video in 1990, it follows a bunch of classic movie monsters – Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Wolfman, The Mummy, Quasimodo – as they wander around a hotel looking for ‘the secret gold’. That’s literally all that happens, apart from odd asides such as the one where the quintet judges a bikini beauty competition and performs (really badly) as a band. I would attempt to communicate how excruciating all this is, but my literary wherewithal is not equal to that task. Instead I will simply note that Dracula looks and sounds a bit like internet guru / f*ckwit Jordan Peterson, Wolfman comes out in a subplot that is too scrambled to decode as either liberating or deeply homophobic, no-one minds being groped by the middle aged dude who looks like he owns a car show-room and it all ends with everyone happily going back in time. That last option might appeal to viewers wanting more than just their money back, but somehow I can see myself watching it again.

THE BLACK CAT – This Luigi Cozzi film is amazing. It’s a sort-of riff on Argento’s ‘The Three Mothers’ cycle, but really it’s just loads of freaky imagery set in a big posh house and comes complete with Bava-lighting overkill, gut shower explosions, random shots of deep space and just a really massive quota of nonsense. I won’t go into details because I’ve reviewed it on the Labs before, back when it was only really available as a cruddy bootleg or a knackered tape. I was never expecting it to land on Blu-Ray, but here it is courtesy of Severin, and wonderful it looks too. Surely a pinnacle of endgame Italian horror back in the late eighties.

He shoots, he scores!
As always FT ....
MacBlayne likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2020, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Downtown

1990 CBS Fox release starring a (After Top Gun and before E.R.) Antony Edwards and a (Before he got big) Forest Whitiker in a mis-matched Buddy Cop movie in which a demoted Cop teams up with a reluctant Detective in a downtrodden area in investigating the murder of his friend. Seen it all before really, it's o.k. however it does have a nice throat slashing scene and a scene where a villain gets thrown from a top of a moving car into a wood chipper and all the blood sprayed over all. Guessing that's how it earned it's 18 certificate.

The Big Score

Fred Williamson is a Detective who is accused of stealing a million dollars from a drugs raid by Police and Mobsters who go after him in order to get it back. Richard Roundtree and John Saxon also star. Not bad for a film from it's time (1983)

Leviathan

Peter Weller is the leader of a deep sea diving team in which they come across a sunken Russian ship which had a failed experiment on board. Obviously the team unwittingly picks up the monster and ends up killing the crew. This I believe was the 3rd of a bunch of this type of film (Abyss and Deep Star Six) and this is the better film.

3:15

A former gang member gets caught up in the middle again when his former gang accuse him of tipping off the Police after a raid at school. I love this type of movie and this was an excellent watch, I found it riveting even though The Principle had the same ending virtually (That film was released afterwards)

Wings Of The Apache

Nicholas Cage is a Fighter Pilot who is trained by Tommy Lee Jones to fly a Apache Helicopter against Drug Cartels. Sean Young also stars in this Top Gun vain of film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dt.jpg (7.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg bs.jpg (78.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg l.jpg (12.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 315.jpg (14.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg wota.jpg (15.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 11th November 2020, 10:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tremors 2: Aftershocks. 1996.

Earl is coerced to face Graboids again, this time in Mexico with self obsessed fan Grady, when things get too much they call in help from Burt then things change.

The Tremors movies are not to be taken seriously and Tremors 2 is no different. It's a fun, light hearted monster movie that you can sit back and enjoy. Fred Ward and Michael Gross return from the first movie unfortunately Kevin Bacon didn't return and do try to keep the humour with the cast. There is partly bad CGI effects added in but they can be ignored.

This went straight to home release, Universal held a screening for test audiences who loved it yet it was shelved as they couldn't secure theatre's and two years later released it and like the previous film it is still enjoyable.

Tremors_2_-_Aftershocks_official_release_poster.jpg
Old 12th November 2020, 11:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

ToweringInferno_Q.jpg
THE TOWERING INFERNO (1974)

Right up there with my favourite all time movies. I saw the film on release with my parents while on holiday and as such carries a lot of nostalgia with it as well.
For me, the best of the all star disaster movies of the 1970's and this is what big screen adventure and spectacle are all about.
Running for 2 hours and 45 mins, the movie had an intermission at the part Where the stairway explodes and Newman has to get the kids down the mangled stairs. The cinema was quite warm as well and that added to the atmosphere. When the movie was over, I remember my mum being a bit frightened about going back to our holiday flat in case it never had the right fire safety measures.
20th Century Fox and Warner Bros teamed up to produce the movie as both company's were going to adapt novels about a fire in a huge skyscraper.
Also for me, the poster features one of the best artworks ever on a movie poster.

** Please, never ever watch this movie on the likes of channel 5 etc..
The film is cut to shreds. I mean really butchered! And never ever in it's correct aspect ratio.
Old 12th November 2020, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Daughters Of Darkness (Harry Kummel)

Languorous vampire tale. A young couple meet two women on a European tour whilst honeymooning. They aren't .... unfriendly certainly. But by gum, they take their time about it ahem.
Look, I know as a Jess Franco fan I have no legs at all to stand on regarding "expressionistic" cinema.
I KNOW
But this has always bored me rigid. Revisiting didn't help. It doesn't help either that apparently twas made to put his arty farty colleagues' noses out of joint, so I never really "felt it", and this is probably why ...

Give me a cloak and a scythe any day (or day for night tee hee)

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!!!
You're insane, this film is amazing Can't really compare it to Franco or Rollin, that's unfair

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th November 2020, 03:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Downtown

1990 CBS Fox release starring a (After Top Gun and before E.R.) Antony Edwards and a (Before he got big) Forest Whitiker in a mis-matched Buddy Cop movie in which a demoted Cop teams up with a reluctant Detective in a downtrodden area in investigating the murder of his friend. Seen it all before really, it's o.k. however it does have a nice throat slashing scene and a scene where a villain gets thrown from a top of a moving car into a wood chipper and all the blood sprayed over all. Guessing that's how it earned it's 18 certificate.

The Big Score

Fred Williamson is a Detective who is accused of stealing a million dollars from a drugs raid by Police and Mobsters who go after him in order to get it back. Richard Roundtree and John Saxon also star. Not bad for a film from it's time (1983)

Leviathan

Peter Weller is the leader of a deep sea diving team in which they come across a sunken Russian ship which had a failed experiment on board. Obviously the team unwittingly picks up the monster and ends up killing the crew. This I believe was the 3rd of a bunch of this type of film (Abyss and Deep Star Six) and this is the better film.

3:15

A former gang member gets caught up in the middle again when his former gang accuse him of tipping off the Police after a raid at school. I love this type of movie and this was an excellent watch, I found it riveting even though The Principle had the same ending virtually (That film was released afterwards)

Wings Of The Apache

Nicholas Cage is a Fighter Pilot who is trained by Tommy Lee Jones to fly a Apache Helicopter against Drug Cartels. Sean Young also stars in this Top Gun vain of film.
3:15, I also enjoy these type of American high school violence / gangs type like class of 84, saw this first time earlier this year since vhs days, which if I’m correct has not been transferred over from vhs to any other format which is a shame films like these need to be.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 12th November 2020, 05:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demons 6: De Profundis aka The Black Cat (Cozzi)

Caroline Munro and Brett Halsey? SOLD.
A film director finds that not everyone is a fan in this rather bonkers tale of regret and retakes. Another find on YT, so the print's not that great, but it's on the list alright.

PS I instantly liked it more than The Three Mothers

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 12th November 2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12th November 2020, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Demons 6: De Profundis aka The Black Cat (Cozzi)

Caroline Munro and Brett Halsey? SOLD.
A film director finds that not everyone is a fan in this rather bonkers tale of regret and retakes. Another find on YT, so the print's not that great, but it's on the list alright.
Sold, how many films had the Demons title?
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 12th November 2020, 06:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

what-we-do-in-the-shadows.jpg

A documentary crew follow the lives of four flatmates and their every day lives which begins at 6 pm every afternoon because they are all vampires.

There is no plot just vampires going about their business trying to adapt into modern life like not getting to enjoy the most popular nightclubs because they can only enter if they are invited in and the trials and tribulations of trying to look your best in your fancy glad rags when you cant see yourself in the mirror. The look of the house and the clothes of each vampire looked great and the style of each character was really matched to their persona perfectly.

There are plenty of laugh out loud moments throughout and the banter between the vampires and the werewolves was some of the best especially the fake stick throw and the track suit pants V jeans scene

7/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!