Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2020, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Equilibrium. 2002.

In a society where all form of feeling are illegal, a man in charge of enforcing the law of sense offence, rises to overthrow the system and the state that created the law.

Set in a future, post-World War III society where emotions have been outlawed, Equilibrium tells the story of John Preston (Christian Bale), a government agent who begins to have doubts about the policy he is enforcing.
For me when I first saw this at the first shootout I thought all those guns and gunfire no blood c'mon, then as the movie goes on the blood splatter comes in good doses. The gun kata is brilliantly executed by Christian Bale and Angus Macfayden who probably spent time training as well as the fighting sequences with guns and swords (only small part sword fighting except the training). Taye Diggs makes a good on screen presence as the new partner and one who will abide by the laws, may not be perfect but certainly good to watch over again.

MOV_2ed4eef8_b.jpg
Old 20th November 2020, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jigsaw

More traps and another of Jigsaw's helpers is revealed, I'm sure that the scripts had the same template for the all the movies. Still I enjoyed this one, mind you I was wondering at The Cinema, how come Jigsaw was alive and well, when he 1st appeared.

Scream 3

The final (Apparently) film in the series sees Sydney in isolation but again a killer appears targeting her. Very enjoyable with some in-jokes for us film buffs to enjoy.

This was the 2nd 18 rated film, I saw at The Cinema and couldn't wait to see the 1st showing on opening day in the morning (As I loved the previous 2). Thankfully it was well worth waiting outside waiting for The Cinema to open in the queue with children who were waiting to get tickets for that blooming 1st Pokémon Movie (Which was released the same day)

Oh by the way, The original Scream Movie is 23 yes 23 years old.

Married To The Mob

Michelle Pfeiffer is The Mob wife who leaves the life behind after her husband (Alec Baldwin) is murdered by Mob Boss (Dean Stockwell) and spawning the advances of Stockwell as well as avoiding Stockwell's wife (Who he's scared off). She attracts the attention of a Undercover Detective (Matthew Modine) I enjoyed this back in the day but didn't enjoy it as much. Could have sworn that much more happened in this movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j.jpg (8.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg s3.jpg (8.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mttm.jpg (12.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 20th November 2020, 11:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Tram (1973)

Written and directed by Dario Argento this tv movie from the series Door into Darkness asks the question how a woman could have been murdered whilst traveling on a crowded tram and not noticed by anyone.

This is CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, thirty years before Anthony Zuiker created it.

The dvd from Mya Communications features all four episodes including Luigi Cozzi's The Neighbour and is recommended. If you can find a copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door into darkness.jpg (30.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 20th November 2020, 11:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

In glorious 4k and yes it really does look and sound fantastic. It's the first time I've watched the Theatrical Cut in years, and my last 2 watches were the Argento version, I'm struggling to decide which I like better now. If only a few scenes were trimmed down in the Romero version I think it'd be perfect. There is just too much fluff between The trucks blocking the doors and Savini combing his mustache...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st November 2020, 05:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Cure for Wellness (2017)

I really don't like movies like this, i find them remarkably unsettling and although this is a creepy health spa it might as well be an asylum with lobotomies for breakfast and water torture for supper.

It's clearly a good film with great cinematography and equally good performances but i tend to watch through gritted teeth and a sense of unease which i guess is what a true horror film is supposed to do to it's audience, so in that respect Gore Verbinski's film does one hell of a job in the creeping me out department although at two and a half hours it's far too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a-cure-for-wellness-b-poster-gallery.jpg (73.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st November 2020, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran

The running time is the only reason I've not watched this film so far!

Old 21st November 2020, 05:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The running time is the only reason I've not watched this film so far!
I'll definitely watch it again, even if parts really do disturb me.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 21st November 2020, 08:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

I rather liked it, particularly the way it turned a "twist" that has become a complete cliched bore in modern times (hello Shutter Island) completely on its head.
Old 21st November 2020, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bells (1982, Michael Anderson)

Richard Chamberlain in a horror film? Hmmm. A college professor investigates the death of a former student. Not as thrilling as it thinks it is. You were still getting these post Watergate films right up til the end of the decade tbh. Fun enough, but it just didn't hold my attention.

Spree Eugene Kotlyarenko)

One of the Stranger Things mob plays a sperg, or is he an incel ... or worst of all a CUCK?? Ahem. This is the world we live in now apparently. When Warhol said "in the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes ... " he was surely JOKING
About as woke as it gets. AWOKEN FFS. Ahem. Yet again I implore you to see The Actor, a film that was better constructed by far, and far creepier.
Or you can cringe to this. I'm off to up my status me ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st November 2020, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran

I actually really liked Spree, I found it really funny to be honest. I watch a lot of YouTube so I guess it spoke to me

Like this? Share it using the links below!