Like Tree179458Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2020, 10:51 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Ichi the killer all uk versions are still slightly cut by 3min 15 secs.

I take it you say this as a joke?

3 min 15 seconds is bloody ages.

I could walk a quarter mile in that time or listen to a Stealers Wheels song and cut someone's ear off whilst dancing round a warehouse. It's a loooong time 195 seconds.
Old 24th November 2020, 11:13 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I could walk a quarter mile in that time or listen to a Stealers Wheels song and cut someone's ear off whilst dancing round a warehouse. It's a loooong time 195 seconds.
Half of North America lost their shit when half a second of wrist snap was accidentally missing from Jason goes to Hell but Ichi in the UK is slightly cut
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th November 2020, 11:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

Having seen both versions, the BBFC have committed an atrocity.

Ichi has been led to believe that a girl he liked was raped by his bullies, and he did not intervene. Jijii tells Ichi that his targets are the old rapists, so that Ichi is compelled to kill them.

However, this backfires on Jijii, when Ichi begins to witness a prostitute he fancies being beaten and raped by a repeat customer. It recalls the invented trauma in Ichi's psyche, but this time it's different. Ichi is stronger.

The rape is a disturbing prelude to Ichi's fantasies. He need the rapes to happen, so he can intervene and dole out "righteous punishment." As such, Ichi needs violence to get his rocks off. He even tells his "princess" that only he will beat her instead. By removing the rape and misogynistic violence, Ichi is just a creepy protector.

This leads to the next issue. After Ichi's offer is rejected, he is distraught and confused. He refused to follow Jijii's commands, so Jijii convinces Karen to pretend to be the raped girl in Ichi's memories, and let Ichi know that she enjoyed being raped. This causes a major psychological change in Ichi. He now sees rape and violence to the ultimate expression of love and satisfaction.

The reason for this is clear when we know what Ichi and Kakihara represent.

Ichi is the ultimate sadist. He is the film, committing many violent acts for the viewer.

Kakihara is the ultimate masochist. He is the audience, taking glee in the horrors the film is displaying.

At the end, Takashi Miike forces us to look into ourselves. After Ichi realises the consequences of his blind lust for violence, he breaks down and sobs uncontrollably. Kakihara, expecting a big climatic fight, is let down. As such, he employs desperate measures to get what he (us) want.
Old 24th November 2020, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

Bunch 'a pussies

It's the worst Tommy Jarvis but it's still such a fun film! Also known as (spoiler) the one with the fake Jason!

I do low-key love this movie but it's absolutely butchered by the MPAA cuts, everything happens off camera or you only see the aftermath. It has one of my fav '13' kills though, the guy strapped to the tree with the leather belt, (fake) Jason squeezing his head. I'm a sick puppy sorry lol...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th November 2020, 04:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Could be worse
Hong Kong- Universe Laser and Video Co. Ltd. - Yes - Badly cut, by approximately 13 minutes
Old 24th November 2020, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Fast Lady (1962)

Murdoch Troon (Stanley Baxter) is coerced by smarmy Leslie Phillips into buying a 1927 vintage Bentley in order to impress James Robertson Justice's daughter, the car mad Julie Christie. But first he must learn how to drive.

After a so-so opening where Baxter is pretty irritating the film settles down into a reasonably fun Sunday afternoon style comedy with Robertson Justice at his gruff bastard best and Phillips as suave and lecherous as ever. It does however build to a rather well done anarchic cops and robbers style lengthy car chase finale with comedy cameo appearances galore which had me laughing out loud.

One of those British comedies from the sixties that plays on Talking Pictures TV every so often but i watched it via the new Network release that comes with a beautifully restored picture and informative booklet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fast_lady_movieposter.jpg (34.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 24th November 2020, 05:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Could be worse
Hong Kong- Universe Laser and Video Co. Ltd. - Yes - Badly cut, by approximately 13 minutes
That's the one an acquaintance bought in error.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th November 2020, 06:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Father Came Too! (1963)

A very loose sequel to the previous years The Fast Lady which pretty much keeps the same cast, although playing different characters which are remarkably similar to the previous film. However this loses Julie Christie and adds Sally Smith and the brilliant Ronnie Barker as an incompetent builder in charge of doing up the recently bought ramshackle country cottage of newly weds Stanley Baxter and Sally Smith.

James Robertson Justice plays Smith's overbearing interfering father whilst Leslie Phillips plays aspiring actor and occasional estate agent Roddy who ends up saving the day in the end.

As before this starts off gently enough but ends up a totally madcap descent into anarchy during the final third.

If you enjoyed The Fast Lady then you'll enjoy this too, and vice-versa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (62.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 24th November 2020, 06:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
That's the one an acquaintance bought in error.
I’ve got the 2 disc uk version with the cartoon and the uncut version as well.
Old 24th November 2020, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fincher's 'Zodiac'. One of my top 5 films, no doubt. A masterclass in story telling and the performances are outstanding, Anthony Edwards and Elias Koteas being the stand outs, for me. Even Downey Jr., who I'm not really a fan of, is fine. The 2.5 hr runtime absolutely flys by and leaves me wanting more.
5/5

Like this? Share it using the links below!