Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179457Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2020, 04:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984, Chester N Turner)

Makes Things look like Ex Machina tbh .

A Xtian woman finds a puppet in a thrift store. What happens next isn't in any instruction manual cough.
That's just the story, the sound is the most important factor here, after years of listening to TG, Whitehouse, Lustmord, BM, Merzbow ETC, it still didn't prepare me for the aural assault duriing this movie.
Literally ear piercing at points, the ST also combines to really put you in the firing line so to speak.
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th November 2020, 05:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sleepwalkers. 1992.

A mother and son appear to be human but underneath they are supernatural creatures and seek young virgins to feed on.

This may not be the best Stephen King story/adaptation but certainly entertaining with a good cast of Brian Krause and Alice Krige as the mother and son creatures who have their eyes set on youndg Madchen Amick until she outwits them and survives. What seems daft about the film is the creatures seem to be feline shapeshifter yet their enemy is the cat itself, but being a Stephen King fan it was certainly worth a watch again.

p13939_p_v13_af.jpg
Old 26th November 2020, 06:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching Body Bags (SF blu) for the first time since having a VHS timecode & it's brilliant! A true 90's gem, the Gas Station segment is my fave & some good cameos for horror fans to spot.
5/5

I know it should be in the tv thread but I watched all 10 episodes of The Outsider, thinking King had gone for the detective genre. First 2 episodes are amazing (concept), then it slows down & halfway through you just know King won't know how to end it. Sadly it becomes long & laborious with the usual stock characters & American tv tropes. Struggled to finish it, sadly.
2/5
Old 26th November 2020, 07:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tales From The Quadead Zone (1987, Chester N Turner)

Not quite as and quite frankly far more bizarre as BDDFH.
A mother reads stories to her son. 2 stories really cough. I'm not quite sure how I got here, first it was a mild dose of Ed Wood in my teens, then later came Manos: Hands Of Fate, then of course, Pearl Harbour , but I can't quite kick my addiction to terrible films. The sound is less abrasive TF, but what's on show is just mind altering tbh.
I now have to go and watch The Muppets.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th November 2020, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Under Siege. 1992.

The USS Missouri battleship is to be decomitioned after her last voyage, terrorist disguised as cooks and a band for the captain's birthday, take over the ship. Casey Ryback the ship's cook on board is a ex Navy Seal, fight's back with the help of a stripper and some of the crew.

This was when Steven Seagal was in his prime and admired by all before he started b@llsh@itting a lot. You know it will be a good movie when you have Tommy Lee Jones is fabulous as the lunatic Hippie, a former CIA undercover operative, who is for a railing system to offload the missiles onto a submarine and is one decent bad guy. Team him up with Gary Busey as (Krill) the commander graciously ready to give a 'surprise' to his captain... He is absolutely perfect as the maniac everyone loves to knock him down. Erika Eleniak plays the stripper that comes out of the cake, doesn't date musicians and kill bad guys.

The action sequences are done decently like Seagal would prefer but he does get his back scratched and fairly good knife fight scene between Jones and Seagal, Andrew Davis done a decent job directing this.

StevenSeagalUnderSiege_cover.jpg
Old 26th November 2020, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Tenebre (1982)

In tribute

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th November 2020, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 229644

Retired Mercenary Shale takes on the job of substitute teacher when his fiancee is attacked in the streets by gang that runs the school she works in. Thinking he is going to just take out the gang leader Shale finds himself in the middle of a drug war that goes much deeper and higher up than just some street gangs.

I always enjoy these types of films its a story we all have seen many times but it doesnt make this any less enjoyable. A really solid cast of recognisable actors all but in strong performances as well as some of the younger actors. Its all going smoothly with Shale starting to care about his students and actually getting through to them but once the s**t hits the fan there is a slight direction chance with night vision goggles rocket launchers and a standoff with another mercenary group but i have to say they were a considerate bunch with every mans gun sporting a silencer making sure not to disturb the neighbours.

Very enjoyable.

7/10
I remember seeing the trailer and seeing it in the video shop, never got round to it.
Old 26th November 2020, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Under Siege. 1992.

The USS Missouri battleship is to be decomitioned after her last voyage, terrorist disguised as cooks and a band for the captain's birthday, take over the ship. Casey Ryback the ship's cook on board is a ex Navy Seal, fight's back with the help of a stripper and some of the crew.

This was when Steven Seagal was in his prime and admired by all before he started b@llsh@itting a lot. You know it will be a good movie when you have Tommy Lee Jones is fabulous as the lunatic Hippie, a former CIA undercover operative, who is for a railing system to offload the missiles onto a submarine and is one decent bad guy. Team him up with Gary Busey as (Krill) the commander graciously ready to give a 'surprise' to his captain... He is absolutely perfect as the maniac everyone loves to knock him down. Erika Eleniak plays the stripper that comes out of the cake, doesn't date musicians and kill bad guys.

The action sequences are done decently like Seagal would prefer but he does get his back scratched and fairly good knife fight scene between Jones and Seagal, Andrew Davis done a decent job directing this.

Attachment 229677
I remember watching this during the 1st lockdown, originally I had another film in mind, but I just wanted a good proven no-brainer.

The perfect Saturday night film for me.
Old 26th November 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Muppets were fun, but had forgotten how many songs they did per episode, so it's back to the SOV wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith

The Abomination (1986, Max Raven)

A young man and his religious mother find that not all is blessed when she ignores medical advice and instead listens to a tv evangelist.
Somewhat saner than Turner's work, it even has a montage hahaha.
Tabloid next!!!

[B]
Old 26th November 2020, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Analyze This

Comedy which sees Robert De Niro play a Gangster that suddenly has anxiety attacks therefore sees a Psychiatrist played by Billy Crystal. However he is a demanding patient and starts to interfere with Crystal's impending marriage. Lisa Kudrow co-stars with a few Phoebe type moments. It's a good film but not as good as it was 20 years ago.

Short Circuit

A Robot gets a lightning strike and comes alive and ends up with Ally Sheedy. Steve Guttenberg is the Robot's creator and G.W. Bailey is the Army Leader determined to destroy it. It's a memorable 80's film and it's still a decent watch but Fisher Steven's role now in 2020 definitely falls in the what were they thinking category.

D3: The Mighty Ducks

Team U.S.A. gets a scholarship to a exclusive Prep School but things aren't as comfy as they like especially with the older team (in which they develop a prank rivalry with) Emilio Estevez isn't in this as much and there are some silly scenes like Goldberg's skating on the road at the beginning as well as losing a 9 goal lead in the final period. But the final showdown is good and I enjoyed the series so I let the bad slide.

Analyze That

Sequel in which Robert De Niro fakes insanity and has to stay with a reluctant Billy Crystal. Like it's predecessor, it's good but not as good as when released.

Scary Movie

Spoof of the Teen Slasher movies of it's day, some funny moments but I've grown up and some of the jokes are just plain unfunny now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at.jpg (14.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sc.jpg (14.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg d3tmd.jpg (11.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ath.jpg (11.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sm.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!