Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179488Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2020, 06:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l640.jpg
THE BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES (1955)

A spaceship lands unseen in the desert. After it's arrival, animals start attacking people and soon the folk nearby find themselves under some sort of control..

AIP drive-in low budget movie. The 'beast' or the pilot of the spaceship is actually only seen for seconds at the end of the movie. The million eyes refer to the fact that the alien can see through any creatures eyes anywhere.
Okay sci fi if you are not expecting any monster mayhem.

MV5BZDI2MDBkOGEtOGRlNy00ZWQ5LWJjMTQtODU0YTBjOTgyMzEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc4Njg5MjA@._V1_.jpg
Old 29th November 2020, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two collage students are wrongful accused of the murder of a convince store clerk. One of the students has a cousin who is a lawyer and asks for his help, little too they know that he has just passed the bar after his 6th attempt and saying he doesn't know what he's doing is putting it midely.

Lots of great characters which include Marisa Tomei as Vinneys girlfriend who is one of the highlights of the film. 9/10

Up tonight a Dennis Quid double.

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th November 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

IMG_2852.jpg
STAR WARS EPISODE VIII
THE LAST JEDI
(2017)

Director Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy drag Star Wars in to the sh*t bin.
What the hell???
Too many problems to go through again. And where do you start?
The movie started a feud between the fans and Lucasfilm, with Lucasfilm and Johnson attacking fans online. Of course, the media joined in as well.
Surely Episode VIIII in 2019, the last in the saga would right all the wrongs. Last chance to get it right. Right?
Old 30th November 2020, 09:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 229763
STAR WARS EPISODE VIII
THE LAST JEDI
(2017)

Director Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy drag Star Wars in to the sh*t bin.
What the hell???
Too many problems to go through again. And where do you start?
The movie started a feud between the fans and Lucasfilm, with Lucasfilm and Johnson attacking fans online. Of course, the media joined in as well.
Surely Episode VIIII in 2019, the last in the saga would right all the wrongs. Last chance to get it right. Right?
sadly he did so much damage it could never be fixed and i blame Johnson for how poor episode nine was, Abrams tried his best but too much damage had been done , unless he had done two movies to fix all the problems

was like he never saw the force awakens or said screw it i'll do my own movie that has no connection too the last
Old 30th November 2020, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

I absolutely loved Zahler's Bone Tomahawk, an outstanding western, so was looking forward to this.

Unfortunately the opening hour was so slow moving that it felt like it was dragging me across concrete but it did improve once Mel and Vince began trailing the robbers across town, eventually becoming a less unhinged and smaller scale version of Ben Wheatley's Free Fire albeit with added disemboweling.

Disappointing but worth a reappraisal in future.

The Tomb: Devil's Revenge (2019)

F*cking hell! This really did feel like being dragged along concrete, by the balls.

William Shatner stars and he's f*cking terrible, hammy as can be without any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Fellow Star Trekker Jeri Ryan tries her best in a thankless support role but nothing could prepare her or the viewer for Shatner's shiteness in this largely plotless excuse for a movie.

Despite the devil's of the title getting plenty of screen time they unfortunately fall into the trap of looking like a poorly realised Doctor Who monster from the seventies.

Avoid at all costs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMjE1MTk5NDQ5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODUxNzg0NzM@._V1_.jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 91vusuM-FaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (99.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 30th November 2020, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I turned Dragged Across Concrete off after less than an hour, bored me to tears, unlike Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 which I think are great films
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 30th November 2020, 07:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

The New Mutants. A group of young mutants interred in an isolated hospital for safety until they can control their new abilities are joined by a new girl, after which each begins to experience terrifyingly real hallucinations of their worst nightmares - and begin to suspect the real reason for their incarceration may be anything but benign. Pretty much the only "new" movie I've seen this year bar Jumanji The Next Level at the cinema in January, this has looked interesting to me for a while, though reshoots and poor reviews rather dissuaded my enthusiasm. But I blind bought it anyway and I'm actually glad I did. This makes a refreshing change from the usual comic book fare, being more of a thriller/horror set in the X-Men universe and often feeling more like a late 90s teen horror than the usual, though we still have to have CGI overload in the climax (of course). But overall I found the cast, characters and story engaging, and at 90 minutes (the last 5 of which are credits) it doesn't have time to get dull or hang around too long. And I rather liked the little love story between Maisie Williams and the lead girl, which was sweet but understated and just there and not made a song and dance about. I enjoyed this far more than I expected.
Old 1st December 2020, 09:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

^ I really liked New Mutants. I saw it at the cinema. It had a critical panning, but I had no problem with it all. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Terror-in-the-crypt-poster.jpg
THE CRYPT OF HORROR (1964)

Members of the Karnstein family are being murdered. Laura Karnstein believes she may possessed by witch Scirra Karnstein, who cursed the family and after a series of nightmares thinks she is responsable for the deaths.
Count Karnstein (Christopher Lee) and a history scholar try to track down what Scirra Karnstein looked like. Is Laura responsable or is it someone else...?

Italian horror known by many names such as Crypt Of The Vampire and Terror in the Crypt.
Good movie with some nice atmospheric and creepy moments.
Once again, based around the 'Carmilla' story.

crypt-of-horror-1.jpg
Old 1st December 2020, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Congo (1995)

Exploitation is it? This ranks highly then. A verrrrry stoopid movie, and all the betterer for it.
Some white folks fly into an African war zone to ... do something really stoopid. Who cares? The battle of the accents is more fun.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st December 2020, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also revisited Black Mountain Side

Still quite the oddity. An archaeological team uncover an unusual structure. What happens next isn't like The Cruisemummy TF. Or that witless Thing remake. Watch this instead.
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 2nd December 2020 at 04:35 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!