Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2020, 11:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

118698.jpg
THE WORLD OF VAMPIRES (1961)

Vampire Count Subota, seeks out the descendants of a family that were responsable for persecuting vampires in Europe.

Crazy Mexican horror. Everyone moves slowly and it's like they are speaking to the camera while talking endless Monologues.
In a twist of the vampire lore, the undead can be brought to their knees by hitting the right notes on the keys of a piano or organ !!
That said, it is enjoyable enough due to the atmospheric scenes in the vampires lair.
Old 6th December 2020, 12:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A aging actress takes a immortality potion after seeing how well her bitter viral has aged. She doesn't realise that her rival also took the potion. The rival conspires with the actress husband who was her ex boyfriend , the two women kill each other but can't die and set there sites on the husband who was once surgeon and is now a undertaker to look after a e maintain there bodies.

A enjoyable a fun tale that has a back to the future Easter egg, Goldie Hawn says she took the potion on October 26 1985,the day Marty went to the past. 8/10

While it's doesn't have the charm of the original , it's better than I thought it would be and is a enjoyable bit of fantasy. 7/10

Now watching
Old 6th December 2020, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

lol I just realised I put that review in the wrong thread... oops.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th December 2020, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gremlins 2: The New Batch. 1990.

Billy and Kate have moved to New York and working for a media mogul Daniel Clamp, When Gizmo's owner dies and his shop demolished, Gizmo is picked up by two doctors who work in the Genetic Lab, and being released by Billy, Gizmo is let loose and gets wet, creating a new spawn of Gremlins.

Director Joe Dante prefers this film to the original, at times I can see why , you got a mogul Daniel Clamp which has been seen as business type like Trump or Ted Turner (the guy who owned CNN and WCW). Robert Prosky acting like Grampa from The Munsters, a one person cooking show, and a different selection of Gremlins that create the laughter than horror.

Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates return with Dick Miller and Jackie Joseph as The Futermans, who seem to have got over the house crashing in the first film. John Glover stars as Daniel Clamp, Robert Picardo plays the bully manager type who seems to have charmed Greta the Gremlin that comes with some funny comments. The film does seem to parody other movies, the first was a bit of a dark comedy horror where this is just more comedy and still made me laugh.

b1685d53-9abc-114b..jpg
Old 6th December 2020, 09:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

lfggggg.jpg
RUNAWAY DAUGHTERS (1956)

Three girls unhappy at home with their lives and strict and embarrassing parents, decide to runaway to LA. Stealing cars and then being chased by the police, the girls find work in a seedy dance hall full of drunks. Two of the girls begin to have a change of heart..

Another of AIP's drive-in teenage delinquent movies. The school gang the girls hang out with to begin with use the "It's coolsville Daddy-O" dialogue against the usual rock n roll music and of course the adults are treated as Dinosaurs. Good.

unnamed.jpg
Old 7th December 2020, 11:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mikey

Early 90s about a evil child who capable of anything including killing,
The way the film is it comes across like a made for tv film on one of the sky channels, mikey thinks he misunderstood but actually quite evil, it was banned in the uk because at the time was the case of the James Bulger killing, and far as I’m aware never been released since, the film isn’t violent, gory or the omen so if it was released today it shouldn’t have much problem being released as a 12 rating, there isn’t much worse than what you see in home alone Except odd quick clip here and there and fact home alone was more slapstick and humour and mikey isn’t, a little tadge cheesy at times but definitely worth of adding to you collection just don’t go expecting great things, a lot better out there but also a hell of a lot worse .
Old 7th December 2020, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mikey is a hoot.

The Brain Sucker (1988, Herb Robins)

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH.
SOV mayhem. A hilarious "mad scientist" opening leads to the worst editing I've seen yet. A suave young buck sets up camp in the "fanciest" hotel in town, using it as a base for his nefarious deeds. The dialogue is barely audible (I've had to turn the volume up several times etc), but who cares when you can hear the director prompting the lead to smile and t'ing.
A sequence with a barfly and her daughter would get this cancelled now so SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Classic trash. REWATCH!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBS.jpg (78.5 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2020, 07:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 3

Hellboy (2019)

The next time i walk Milly around the Pendle villages i'll explain to her that not only was it the home to the Pendle Witches during the 17th century but it was also the place that King Arthur dismembered Mila Jovovich's evil blood queen Nimue in Hellboy.

Could it be any cooler? Hell, Yes!

Returning to Pendle Hill in the present day to battle Nimue and Stephen Graham's giant pig like beast as Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare thunders over the soundtrack.

Although this wasn't a patch on the Del Toro Hellboy movies, i thought Neil Marshall's reboot was a lot of fun and i enjoyed it more than the majority of comic book movies i've endured these last few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hellboy_ver12.jpg (75.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th December 2020, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I liked it too D. Violent and cheeky and whatnot. His new one looks more like his older stuff for all that ...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th December 2020, 07:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Go. A group of young people trying to have a good time get into some serious scrapes on Christmas Eve in this late 90s youth comedy-drama. Haven't seen this in like 11 years but still a lot of fun, bouyed by the lovely Katie Holmes and Sarah Polley. PQ was surprisingly decent for a nearly 20-year old DVD, which frankly I half-expected to not even play properly!*

Like this? Share it using the links below!