Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2020, 10:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sonic The Hedgehog

Jim Carrey hams it up as the villain of the film adaptation of the computer game. I was expecting this to be similar to The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle but it it's somewhat enjoyable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sth.jpg (14.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 20th December 2020, 06:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 13

Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)

Sir Christopher Lee stars as Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine, and he rocks. In fact he rocks it like a hurricane.

Excellent stuff from the cast of Dracula Prince of Darkness.

I bought this dual format edition a few months ago mainly for the extras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (32.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th December 2020, 10:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Blood & Black Lave (Bava, (1964)

Amazing early giallo about murders in a fashion house. Beautiful cinematography which looks amazing in Arrow's blu ray edition, this looks better by far than most films made today! Great soundtrack & lots of detective work (both on screen & for the audience), strangely enough this had me thinking (for the first time) of Black Christmas (Bob Clarke).
10/10
Old 21st December 2020, 12:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great double bill

So

Get on with it!!

Nostalgic likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st December 2020, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran

A quick (?!!!) rewatch of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition) this afternoon, yes the end credits really are 27 minutes long!!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2020, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
A quick (?!!!) rewatch of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition) this afternoon, yes the end credits really are 27 minutes long!!

Didn’t think was that long but it is in as the longest end credits.
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Film | Hollywood's lengthening film credits
According to this it’s almost 10 min.
Old 21st December 2020, 07:35 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Didn’t think was that long but it is in as the longest end credits.
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Film | Hollywood's lengthening film credits
According to this it’s almost 10 min.
It lists every member of the Lord of the Rings fanclub in alphabetical order; as soon as the film ended I pressed pause and it literally said 27 mins remaining... I let it play to the end as well so I could listen to the music

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2020, 10:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Frankie's pre-xmas roundup part 1 - thought I'd get these in before the jolly stuff starts for real, if it hasn't already (ulp).

THE UNTOLD STORY – Notorious HK Cat 3 flick given the VIP treatment ‘at last’, courtesy of Unearthed Films and their new, lovely looking blu-ray. In this case, aforementioned ‘look’ is lovelier than the film, which is well-known to splatter and sleaze fans but is basically about a deranged restauranteur who steals a south Chinese diner after he does a Sweeney Todd on the previous owners. Various nastinesses ensue, only to be undermined by some typical ‘broad’ HK ‘humour’, possibly designed to weigh good against evil but ultimately tipping the balance in favour of absurdity and potential rubbishness – actually, truth be told this levity sticks in the craw because a lot of it revolves around the general goofiness of the police, only for the latter part of the movie to blitz us with a pretty harsh depiction of systemic violence. ‘The Untold Story’ is definitely a bizarre curio however, and it’s inevitable that anyone with a few treasured memories of the days of seedy bootlegs will want to pick it up, though it’s weird seeing it nice and spotless.

PATRICK LIVES AGAIN – This sequel-in-name-only to ‘Patrick’ takes the original’s theme of telekinesis and sinks it deep within a cess-pit of sleaze... would you want the director of ‘Giallo A Venezia’ to show any undue respect for cinematic nicety? Thank your lucky stars if you found the first film as dull as I did, for ‘Patrick Still Lives’ forgets the human drama and simply ladles on the sexy violent weirdness, including laughable glowing green eye visuals and a fairly gross genital skewering. Despite it all amounting to not much more than cinematic froth, somehow there’s a real downer atmosphere about it; the free-flowing nudity is scuzzy rather than erotic, and the setting, a big, lugubrious chateau, casts a morbid shadow leavened only by scenes of coma patients writhing orgiastically at the end. All of which makes it a winner in my book.

CRUEL JAWS – Distils the essence of Mattei into ninety-five mind-curdling minutes. It plays less like a horror film and more like a chewed-up soap opera interspersed with fragments of other movies. The last bit is literally true, and of course Mattei was notorious for that kind of recycling, in this case his only real chance of getting a shark onscreen for the shoestring he’d be working with. Apart from purloined shark footage, everything else is so disjointed that the film feels close to delirium, and, as with other Mattei flicks, that makes for a pretty wild feeling for a bit, until it all gets a bit too much like hard work. A plastic masterpiece of soulless hollowness.

VIOLENCE IN A WOMAN’S PRISON – Double Mattei – talk about cruel and unusual punishment, though VIAWP proves he can direct to a decent degree. I say ‘decent’; this film is nothing of the kind, but at least it doesn’t contain any of his erstwhile stock-footage shenanigans. What it does contain is a number of well-managed set-pieces and scenes (among them a hilariously contrived excremental dousing and a gonzo rat attack – he obviously has a thing for rodents, does Bruno) that sell it as a well put-together exploitation flick with good, moody camerawork, a hazy atmosphere and groovy eighties synth music of VHS-classic era provenance.
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Carry_On_Abroad_(movie_poster).jpg
CARRY ON ABROAD (1972)

One of my favourite Carry On movies. A great laugh full of double meanings and excellent charactors. Saucy postcard humour at it's best.
** TV showings are usually cut!

Old 22nd December 2020, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hunched over a COVID-infected mince pie with only the most dubious looking of carrots for company, I bring you Frankie's pre-xmas round-up part 2...

WHODUNIT? – New to me this one, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. As the title suggests, it’s a murder mystery (rejigged as a slasher, since it hails from the early eighties) set on an island where a bunch of fairly obnoxious wannabes have gathered to make a film. Whoever is offing them is using the utterly bizarre gimmick of foreshadowing their deaths by way of a new wave song (its lyrics specify the mode of demise)! Top marks for weird invention, and for facilitating the contrived means by which a transistor conveniently appears at the right deathly moment. I also appreciated the fact that there are no likeable characters; this film has more non-stop spitfire venom than Andy Milligan at his most bitter and twisted. What an eccentric little relic.

SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 2 – Thought I’d better throw in something at least a little bit seasonal. SNDN is one of my fave slashers, and I do appreciate that SNDN2 has saved me the task of watching it again this year, because the first half of its run-time is taken up with condensed footage from the original movie – I would say we’re back in Bruno Mattei territory with that one, but even he wouldn’t have stooped to such a level of cheapness. The rest of it tells the perfunctory tale of brother-of-crazed-murderer-turns-to-murder-himself, but the delivery is fairly mind-boggling, with a central performance that begins as a basically standard depiction of a killer in jail and ends as an absolutely bizarre rendition of a man walking around shooting everyone and in sight whilst wiggling his eyebrows and going “hur hur hur… naughty”… endlessly. Totally trashy and pretty fun if you can dodge that feeling of being ever so slightly cheated.

REVENGE OF THE LIVING DEAD GIRLS – Saucy French horror from the eighties, but don’t expect any languorous poete maudit schtick a la Jean Rollin, ROTLDG has its feet firmly on / in the graveyard soil… sort of. Actually, it is pretty wacky, managing to shoehorn a plot about small-time industrial intrigue in a French village (!) into a storyline about the zombification of the dead via industrial waste. Along the way are bits of convenient nudity and snatches of repulsive gore… Severin (purveyors of this blu-ray) clearly have a bit of a thing about vag-impalement, see ‘Patrick Viva Ancora’, another recent one of theirs). Ages since I last saw it, still quite a baffling little morsel, even / especially ‘that ending’.

Like this? Share it using the links below!