Like Tree179449Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2021, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 31

The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (1972)

One of director Jess Franco's less salacious affairs in which much of the gratuitous sex makes way for his fondness for classic horror...

...Well classic horror if you think Frankenstein's monster is simply a dude painted silver.

Not to knock the film though as it is really quite good with some fabulous ideas and creations. Such as Anne Libert's blind bird vampire woman who is totally naked aside from a cape and some green feathers, she does the bidding of Howard Vernon's sorcerer.

There's also a delightful dungeon where rituals play out watched from behind bars by cloaked skeletal figures - a beautiful creepy Gothic touch. There's also the nude couple tied back to back and whipped by the monster over a spiked floor - classic stuff. In fact so classic Franco practically redid the scene for Countess Perverse a couple of years later.

Although the film isn't particularly coherent it really doesn't matter as it plays out like a lurid, vividly coloured fever dream in an almost seventies comic book style and is wonderfully watchable.

This review was written under the heady influence of Ghost's Infestissumam album.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 3rd January 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post

Towering Inferno

Paul Newman is The Architect of a large Skyscraper which catches fire and it's up to him and a team of Firemen lead by Steve McQueen to help rescue the occupants. For me, one of the worst things to happen in a Film that's over 150 Minutes is for it to have a slow period and/or it takes a while for The Film to get going as it establishes the main characters and/or plot, thankfully this did not happen, I was thoroughly entertained throughout.
Awesome! One of my all time greatest movies.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For a change I watched .... a superhero movie ....

Sadly it was WW84

From very early on I found myself shouting "WHAT????" at the screen. The only thing that I took from it is that cocaine must still be really popular in Hypocritewood. Ending about as mawkish as you can get without it being a Hallmark flick tee hee. I actually quite liked the first one, but this is just terrible, and terribly racist at one point, thought that was verboten now?
Like this movie, they just seem to make shit up as they go along ..... and why do they all have to be so bloody long?
It never took me 150 minutes to read a comic back in the day cough. Some of the scenery at the start was pretty. So there was that at least.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All these years later it's still a huge disappointment and let down. Let's spend most of the movie with the most boring characters and throw away what made the other two good. Really feels like they ran out of ideas and didn't have a real ending. 5/10

Now watching

Old 3rd January 2021, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran

I didn't know there was a Bleach live action film I hope that no-one makes a Naruto one

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd January 2021, 08:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I didn't know there was a Bleach live action film I hope that no-one makes a Naruto one
It's on Netflix, it ain't terrible
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
It's gotten ok reviews and as I've only seen the odd episode of the anime can go in with open eyes. It can't be as bad as the death note ( Netflix) movie!

Thought the full metal alchemists movie was ok, which is also on Netflix
Justin101 likes this.
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran

Naruto is in pre-production crikey...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4907198/

Old 3rd January 2021, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Naruto is in pre-production crikey...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4907198/
can't be as bad as the live action Akira
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran

I don't think Akira will happen, it's been greenlit and in pre-production for around 20 years, DiCaprio was down to play Kaneda (maybe Tetsuo???) if I recall correctly. I think that Spielberg turned the job down too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!