Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2021, 10:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

I START COUNTING
A young Jenny Agutter stars as a girl growing up in an English village, who struggles with her feelings towards her older foster brother, compounded by the fact she suspects he may be involved in a series of murders in the area.
A cross between a coming of age film and a murder mystery, this gem from 1969 has an excellent performance from Ms Agutter ( who also contributes a lovely interview on the extras ). This little seen gem is now available on Blu Ray and is well worth seeking out.

DEMONIA
Devil worshipping nuns crucified centuries ago return as ghosts to take revenge, in this latter day Fulci.
When I watched this for the first time years a ago, I thought it was Fulci’s worst film. Watching it again all these years later on Severin’s Blu Ray.... I still think it’s his worst film! Boring, confusing, poorly edited and with some poorly done special effects. Acting performances are pretty naff too.
Latter day Fulci was never his best, but I still find stuff to enjoy in the likes of AENIGMA, MANHATTAN BABY, HOUSE OF CLOCKS etc. but this one is a struggle to get through.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:40 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Erotic Rites of Countess Dracula (2001)

Aka Scarlet Countess. Director Donald F Glut's original Countess Dracula film isn't a patch on the Naschy headlining sequel.

Starring sexy redhead Elizabeth X (Under the name Brick Randall) as a wannabe rock singer plugging away in clubs until she's bitten by Count Dracula and put under the guidance or Renfield who drives his Cadillac round Hollywood looking for women for his mistress to seduce and drink from. Again Renfield is played by the remarkable Del Howison who reminds me of Vince Neil with a dodgy tache.

The sex scenes were clumsily directed and poorly lit for the most part and quickly became boring but the rest of the film was watchable with the acting better than average for this type of movie.

It should be mentioned that both Countess Dracula movies have excellent indie / Goth soundtracks which definitely add to the whole experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scarlet.jpg (54.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th January 2021, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

4028532113_c07f6088e0.jpg
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979)

A box office hit on it's release after the best seller book.
For me, the film is still good with some nice creepy scenes. Margot Kidder looks great, riding high from Superman The Movie.
Kids watching this movie today will wonder what all the fuss was about and probley think it a bit tame I should think. The certificate has been reduced now to 15 rather than it's original X.
From a time you used to get scared just watching the trailer with that familiar voice over!
Old 8th January 2021, 07:20 PM
Cult Addict

The viewings over the past week
Screenshot_20210108-201913.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 8th January 2021, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sssssss. 1973.

A college student David, takes on a job of lab assistant to Dr. Stoner and is injected with a serum that slowly transforms him into a snake, Can David and Dr. Stoner's daughter Kristina stop Stoner and find a cure.

This is one of those films where man becomes, beast, predator creature films instead man becomes snake, despite the title and plot, this film does have a serious tone to it and can be tense in some parts. Strother Martin takes the role as the mad Doctor type who wants to cross genetic breed with man and snake. Dirk Benedict plays David and reluctant guinea pig and Heather Menzies-Urich as Kristina who is aware of what's happening but is been told lies by her father.

The acting may not be greatest as it can go up and down but the main feature is the real snakes that were used, just remember the time period when this film was made and how some studios budgets were, this is defiantly worth a watch.

sssssss2.jpg
Old 8th January 2021, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Desperate Teenage Lovedolls (1984, David Markey)

Yer average rags to riches story tbh. Perky punkers make it big in this low rent time capsule featuring members of Black Flag, Redd Kross etc. I could shoehorn this into my SOV obssession really if it wasn't actually shot on 8mm .
Ahem. A hoot. More palatable than Kern or Zedd tbh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th January 2021, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Trollenberg Terror (1958)

Cloudy with a chance of eyeballs.

I love this Gothic tinged sci-fi horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crawling (1).jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th January 2021, 10:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Trollenberg Terror (1958)

Cloudy with a chance of eyeballs.

I love this Gothic tinged sci-fi horror.
Saw this two years ago and basically love it.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghost Town. 1988.

When a woman is kidnapped, Deputy Langley goes in search for her, he is attacked by a man on horse back. He tracks the man to a old wild west ghost town, however the town is not abandoned but haunted by the spirits of a outlaw gang.

I didn't have much high hopes for this and after watching it i was not bedazzled by it as it seems to be a bit of a slow burner at times, Wild West meets horror...it's a lot better than Cowboys Vs Zombies. The story line was put together decently and somewhat entertaining. The acting is good but not great but think maybe a re-watch again may change my mind on this film.

1701031225262_l.jpg
Old 9th January 2021, 01:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Snow. 2009.

A group of students on a ski vacation become under attack by a horde os Nazi Zombies.

Tommy Wirkola sure knows how to make a zombie film! Not only does he reference many classic zombie films, but in turn he makes his own unique spin on the zombie tale and he does it well. This is one that's not to be taken seriously as it does have its comical moments but does have it's gore and bloody moments which makes up for it.

It does show that foreign movies can get away with bloody murder by showing the gore better than some other countries and seems to be more graphic and well worth the watch and my expectations on this film was high.

DEAD-SNOW_5F00_4.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!