Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179044Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2021, 03:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Double Bunk (1961)

Note to all the erotic vampire countesses i've been watching recently.

You aren't even on the same page of horniness as Liz Fraser
Old 9th January 2021, 07:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Banana Splits Movie (2019)

Rob Zombie re-imagines the lovable kids tv show loons as psychopathic killers out to take revenge on the tv execs who axed their show.

Dark, disturbing, gritty and unrelenting, the sight of a blood soaked Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky capturing, torturing and brutally slaying anyone who gets in their way in the most depraved and violent ways must give their fans nightmares. So much so i was expecting the Splits to remove their heads at the end to reveal themselves to be the Firefly clan...

....Wake up, Dem. You're dreaming. This is just a routine, fairly lame slasher where we are supposed to root for some kids who annoy the f*ck out of us. Not nearly as extreme as it could and should have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Banana_Splits_Movie_poster.jpg (56.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 9th January 2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

American Buffalo

David Mamet adaptation with Dustin Hoffman. Good pace, dialogue & acting as antique store owner plans a heist with his friends. Then it gets a bit paranoid....

Good movie, but a "watch once" affair. 7/10
Old 9th January 2021, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Amity

Amityville 3-D. (1983)
Made in the 80s 3D boom,where we had Jason 3-D,Jaws 3-D,Parasite 3-D and Amityville 3-D and others I'm pretty sure...The problem with the 3-D is that the best any of these films could do is poke something at you...And Amityville is no different,hands, torches,frisbees, microphone booms and steam from the hot tap are at various times pointed at us...I watched the flat version,and even if I did see it in 3-D,I can't see me being any more impressed...Of course we do get at least one effective 3-D moment,when a steel pole goes shooting through Candy Clark's windshield and her burnt corpse falls directly towards us....
The other problem with Amityville 3-D,is that nothing really happens of any significance for pretty much the whole movie,all the cast do is wander around the Amityville house, telling the audience how spooky the house is,and then every so often we get a shot of the iconic house itself, just to remind us all that it's the Amityville house and not some other place... At the end as the house collapases we get assorted furniture come flying towards us, including a stuffed spear fish... Personally I don't think the world was really holding its a breath for a third Amityville movie, even in 3-D...

Old 9th January 2021, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Castle Freak. 2020.

Rebecca, blinded by a car accident inherits a castle in Albania from her estranged mother, with her boyfriend John go to the castle soon it's dark past reveals herself.

Remake of the 1995 film and based on the story by H.P. Lovecraft, I had no idea this was remade as the original was a classic film (IMO) and had no expectations for this. The creature has been changed from male to female in this version and a different back story as it seems to follow the short story of Cult of Cthulhu. The acting may not be great but there is good make up done just like the original and some blood splatter, entertaining enough.

Castle-Freak-Header-New-2_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg
Old 9th January 2021, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Over last week

10/10

7/10

9/10

7/10

Now watching

Old 9th January 2021, 11:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Castle Freak. 2020.

Rebecca, blinded by a car accident inherits a castle in Albania from her estranged mother, with her boyfriend John go to the castle soon it's dark past reveals herself.

Remake of the 1995 film and based on the story by H.P. Lovecraft, I had no idea this was remade as the original was a classic film (IMO) and had no expectations for this. The creature has been changed from male to female in this version and a different back story as it seems to follow the short story of Cult of Cthulhu. The acting may not be great but there is good make up done just like the original and some blood splatter, entertaining enough.

Attachment 230504
Was in two minds about this think I will give a chance now.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Teacher's Pet (1958)

The story is quite fun as Clark Gable's hard bitten newspaper editor enrolls for Doris Day's journalism class following a case of mistaken identity. Both Gable and Day are excellent and the story takes pleasure in pitting the ideas of learning journalism from a book and gaining experience in the firing line so to speak against each other with great effect.

Not as whimsical as many other movies Day shared with the likes of Rock Hudson and actually all the better for it. The screenplay is sharp, at least for the first ninety minutes, and Day and Gable spar well together but both are outshined by Gig Young (Whom i last saw a couple of weeks ago in The Shuttered Room) as Day's psychologist beau, and his intense hangover. I really felt for him.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Antiviral. 2012.

Syd March works at a clinic that deals with live viruses harvested from celebrities and sells them to fans. Syd also deals with blackmarket sales, using his body to transfer the viruses, when one goes wrong, Syd now infected tries to find a cure before it becomes too late for him.

This had a good premise as a Science-Fiction horror from the son of David Cronenberg Brandon, who seemed to follow in his father's earlier work but this lacked tension or suspense, the main actor looked dull and wooden at times to the point of this film becoming boring and very slow paced. Brandon had a creative mind and a technical ability and knew what he wanted in the line of cinematography, this didn't really appeal to me and doubt I would view it again.

MV5BNjI5MzY0OTgwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ1MzAzOQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
Old 10th January 2021, 12:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Was in two minds about this think I will give a chance now.
Go with it in a open mind treb and try not to think of the original.

Like this? Share it using the links below!