All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2021, 06:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Death Race: Beyond Anarchy (2018)

I won't pretend otherwise, i love these movies, whether it be Jason Statham, Luke Goss or Zach McGowan in the lead role.

The series is mayhem and brutality all the way and Beyond Anarchy is no different. McGowan, who i know best for his role as Charles Vane in the excellent Black Sails series is perfect as 'Frankenstein' - the driver all the others want to beat.

It's not high brow stuff, simply fast paced violent entertainment out of the Paul WS Anderson stable set in a Mad Max style world with an industrial Metal soundtrack and T&A galore.

In a nod to another franchise Anderson has his paws in, the Death Races are organised by the distinctly corrupt Weyland Corporation, still at least it wasn't the Umbrella Corp i suppose.

As long as they keep making them i'll keep on buying them!
Old 12th January 2021, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Beyond. 1981.

A woman inherits a dilapidated hotel in Louisiana and soon discovers it was built on one of the seven gateways to hell.

Classic Fulci movie with plenty eye gauging sequences even on a small budget Giannetto De Rossi's effects are spectacular, Fulci had a vision with his imagination of hell opening up and the dead walking the earth. Katherine MacColl stars as the lead along with David Warbeck who's voice seems to be pitched higher in the new release...or is it just my hearing? I always thought the spider sequence was a laugh with the anamatronic spiders from a close up to a distance, a film that now very much appreciated to the point even Angela enjoyed, I think I have converted her to Italian/American horrors...finally

de34cca5a65dd643e0a2b6fc69d28dda.jpg
Old 12th January 2021, 07:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A meteorite strikes outside a small desert town, this is no ordinary rock it grows in size when in contact with water and threatens to engulf the world , the rocks also petrify what ever they touch. What can be done to save the town and the world.

A bunch of rocks doesn't sound partially interesting but have always enjoyed this hidden gem. The town will look very familiar as it's the court house square from back to the future, which as well as this and gremlins has appeared in a number of other films .
8/10

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th January 2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12th January 2021, 08:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Beyond. 1981.

A woman inherits a dilapidated hotel in Louisiana and soon discovers it was built on one of the seven gateways to hell.

Classic Fulci movie with plenty eye gauging sequences even on a small budget Giannetto De Rossi's effects are spectacular, Fulci had a vision with his imagination of hell opening up and the dead walking the earth. Katherine MacColl stars as the lead along with David Warbeck who's voice seems to be pitched higher in the new release...or is it just my hearing? I always thought the spider sequence was a laugh with the anamatronic spiders from a close up to a distance, a film that now very much appreciated to the point even Angela enjoyed, I think I have converted her to Italian/American horrors...finally

Attachment 230562
My fave Fulci. If I could give 11 out of 10, THIS is the movie! Gothic, Gory and basically Genius, a poetic and beautiful nightmare. And the soundtrack is incredible!
Old 12th January 2021, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of archaeologists stumbling or in this case fall into a long lost city that's run by albino type people who use a race of mole people as slaves , at first the archaeologists are believed to be gods, but they are soon are fighting to survive and find away to escape back to the surface. 6/10

Now watching

Old 12th January 2021, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Babadook. 2014.

A single parent grief stricken of her husband's death, decides to read her 6 year old son a book called Mister Babadook which frightens him. Soon her son thinks the monster in the book has manifested itself from the pages to the house and slowly torments them.

This was not what I expected this film to be, I intentionally thought this was going to be a boogeyman or ghost in the house horror film but more psychological movie that deals with grief and depression showing itself in different ways and a slow decent into paranoia that Jack Torrance would be proud of. The acting from Essie Davis and Noah Wiseman is good only downside was the slow pace to film a lot and could hardly hear what was being said.

The-Babadook-Poster.jpg
Old 13th January 2021, 10:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shadow In The Cloud

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Don't take it too seriously. I couldn't
I refuse to say of which Twilight Zone episode it reminded me (arse!! ). Lawdy.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 13th January 2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 13th January 2021, 12:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Power Force (1991, Charles Lee)

It's a G Ho production, so strap in.
High octane hi jinx ahoy as you would expect, with nae tiime to draw your breath in this third tier masterclass. Exposition? Just keep shooting ffs
Many many people lose their lives. But they are all very naughty, so the ends justifies the means baby!!
Ahem. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th January 2021, 02:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Count Dracula (1970)

My Letterboxd 2020 year in review arrived in my inbox yesterday.

My most watched actor was Christopher Lee and most watched director - Jess Franco. How cool is that?

January 12th 2021...Here we go again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Condedracula.jpg (46.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8367 (Large).JPG (64.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 13th January 2021, 06:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It Comes At Night. 2017.

After surviving a virus a man has set up rules with his wife and son, things change when another family come and seek refuge.

I picked this up on a blind buy not knowing what I was going into, this isn't a monster movie but more post apocalyptic film where man or human can be the monster. Think the title is more warning as people dream that shows the future of what can happen and also shows what people can dream when they are ill. The film had potential to be good but after 30-40 minutes it slowly went down hill, it had a good suspense that was built up well and acting was decent but the plot wasn't worked out well. Maybe a re-watch will happen but not anytime soon.

It_Comes_at_Night.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!