Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2021, 04:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

lfnn.jpg
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE VOICE OF TERROR (1942)

Universal take up the Sherlock Holmes movies. The first two having been released by 20th Century Fox.
Straight away Universal's budget slashes the running time to just over an hour.
Also, they brought Sherlock Holmes up to date by having him now in the fight against the Nazis.
Universal scream queen Evelyn Ankers is here, and she is always great to watch.
Good entertainment.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Forgotten just how good this film is it oozes atmosphere. The Templars are very spooky with there eye less faces and creepy movement .

Two woman who had knowing each other years ago meet by chance and decide to go on a train journey , the two women had a lesbian affair years ago , one of them jumps of the train as she's still in love with her friend whom is with her boyfriend. She is soon murdered by the blind dead, so the couple set out to find out what happened but they have unwittingly awakened the blind dead. 9/10
Old 14th January 2021, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dead Calm (1989, Phillip Noyce)

A couple go on a cruise to recover after a tragedy. Whilst relaxing, their idyll is shattered by an unexpected arrival.
Hadn't seen this in years. Zane still cuckoo AF.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th January 2021, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

King Kong. 1933.

A film crew travel to a tropical island to shoot some exotic scenes, Ann Darrow is the leading lady travelling with the crew to he mysterious Skull Island. They find a tribe that worships Kong, a giant gorilla that takes a shine to Ann. The crew decide to capture the Gorilla and take it back to the the states.

This is one of those films that never gets boring with every viewing and gets better and better to the fact that you appreciate the way it was made. The film had a great story line, terrific actors and brilliant cinematography and Fay Wray who was scared of Kong then warmed up to him. CGI effects today have no grasp on what effects were back in the early days.

king_kong_1933_poster.jpg
Old 14th January 2021, 07:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
King Kong. 1933.

A film crew travel to a tropical island to shoot some exotic scenes, Ann Darrow is the leading lady travelling with the crew to he mysterious Skull Island. They find a tribe that worships Kong, a giant gorilla that takes a shine to Ann. The crew decide to capture the Gorilla and take it back to the the states.

This is one of those films that never gets boring with every viewing and gets better and better to the fact that you appreciate the way it was made. The film had a great story line, terrific actors and brilliant cinematography and Fay Wray who was scared of Kong then warmed up to him. CGI effects today have no grasp on what effects were back in the early days.

Attachment 230618
I always say things like that, when you look at some of the older films and today’s films but people just say I’m talking bollocks,
Wizard of oz is another eg, but a very famous one is the skeleton fight at end of Jason and the Argonauts.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932) ★★★½

In 1932, the year after Bela Lugosi found widespread fame in Dracula, Universal Pictures teamed up one of their biggest stars (Lugosi) with Sidney Fox, an actress Carl Laemmle Jr. had recently signed to a lucrative contract. Although Lugosi was a household name thanks to his iconic performance as Bram Stoker’s vampire account, he took second billing to Fox.

Set in 19th-century Paris, this is the first of several films in which Lugosi would play a mad doctor/mad scientist of some variety (notable others include The Raven, The Black Cat, The Corpse Vanishes, The Dark Eyes of London, Bride of the Monster, and Glen or Glenda).

The plot for Murders in the Rue Morgue revolves around Dr. Mirakle (Lugosi), a maniacal man of medicine who wants to further his research into the similarities between humans and apes – with the ultimate aim of creating a mate for Erik, his gorilla ‘assistant’ – by injecting primate blood into young women. Seemingly without any volunteers for this (ludicrous) plan, he decides to abduct test subjects, using a gorilla to snatch these young women on whom to experiment.

Meanwhile, Pierre Dupin, a medical student, discovers his fiancée, Camille L'Espanaye, who was mesmerised by Mirakle’s carnival show, an exhibition featuring Erik, is missing and begins to suspect Mirakle is responsible. As the police are little help, Dupin becomes an amateur sleuth to save Camille from Mirakle’s laboratory.

Compared to Dracula, The Raven, and The Black Cat, Murders in the Rue Morgue is a second tier Lugosi film, one in which the characters aren’t as interesting as they could be, the plot (from short story by Edgar Allen Poe) seems occasionally silly and certainly not as dark as the two acclaimed films in which Lugosi appeared with Karloff.

The film is a visual treat thanks to Robert Florey’s direction and Karl Freud’s cinematography; it seems heavily influenced by Freud’s German expressionism, much more than Dracula, and the clever, though dated and somewhat clumsy, use of a real gorilla and Charles Gemora in an ape suit to create the illusion that Lugosi was working with a real ape. Although it isn’t the best of the three Poe-Lugosi films, it’s an enjoyable watch and one I’m glad I now own.
Nos, your reviews of the 3 films in Eureka's set are ASTOUNDING (as are your reviews in general), I just wanted to say thank you for such brief but insightful reviews. I loathe modern reviewers who all seem to have seen about 3 films in their life & miss the days when critics would have at least a good grasp of CINEMA HISTORY (not celebrity problems on twitter) or at least SEEN A SH+TLOAD OF FILMS.

Many great reviewers on here, but just now, reading yours reminded me of happier times. This is probably completely off topic, so in keeping....

Currently watching the Greg Mank commentary on Cat People, a great listen, like the universal horror classics ones. More people who know & love movies on commentaries, please, less academics.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fatal Attraction. 1987.

Married New York Lawyer Dan has a fling over a weekend with a woman called Alex while his wife is away, when he tries to end things and go back to normal, Alex doesn't take the news lightly and begins to stalk Dan and his family.

Ah the film that gave us the phrase Bunny Boiler, this film should have a disclaimer on it, "Don't cheat on your wife". I think it's because Glenn Close does such a fantastic job playing Alex who has a fling and takes rejection a little bit too badly, as Glenn Close has played nice girl roles and turns up the notch that even still scares me . Michael Douglas portrayal as Dan can be seen as Karma for having a nookie bookie out of marriage and tries to be sympathetic with the break up, this still has the same tense and suspense moments when I fist saw it years ago in the 90s.

Fatal%20Attraction.jpg
Old 14th January 2021, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood Tracks

A Hair Metal Band goes to shoot a Music Video on a Mountain Range, however them, Crew and Girlfriends get snowed in due to an Avalanche. Also they encounter a family who proceed to murder them when they enter a disused factory. Not bad for a mid 80's Slasher, definitely a comedic moment when a couple having sex in a car has snow completely cover the car, yet the woman doesn't put her clothes back on as she knew people were trying to get them out.

Wishmaster 2

The Djinn with world domination in mind is back and this time is trying to claim enough souls to accomplish it. Decent enough sequel to a very under-rated original. Some nice gory scenes but some of the F/X wasn't as good near the end. Not sure whether to go after number 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt.jpg (15.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg w2.jpg (9.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th January 2021, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cry Baby (1990, John Waters)

I always preferred this to Hairspray, as tis a tad more "him" imho. The Depp excels as the titular character (did he ever look better??) and the usual suspects line up to lend a hand. Yes, Divine would have been great as his momma, but thems the breaks. Recommended.

Creepshow 2 (1987, Michael Gornick)

I've seen this more than the first, for some reason or other ahem. You know the score, it's not a patch on the first, but I always go back to it. Never seen the third one, should I bother??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th January 2021, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Cry Baby (1990, John Waters)

I always preferred this to Hairspray, as tis a tad more "him" imho. The Depp excels as the titular character (did he ever look better??) and the usual suspects line up to lend a hand. Yes, Divine would have been great as his momma, but thems the breaks. Recommended.

Creepshow 2 (1987, Michael Gornick)

I've seen this more than the first, for some reason or other ahem. You know the score, it's not a patch on the first, but I always go back to it. Never seen the third one, should I bother??
Are you okay, D?

Do you need help or assistance of any kind?

That's two films i've heard of. something must be terribly wrong.

Like this? Share it using the links below!