Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2021, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Satan's School For Girls. 1973.

A young woman gets accepted to a private school to figure why her sister died in a apparent suicide only to discover something darker in the school.

From the opening credits and rushed start I thought this was gonna be a no brainer daft movie and glad I stuck it out, it's a mere chiller thriller rather than a full point horror film that does have a few twists and turns along the way. Pamela Franklin plays the lead Elizabeth who wants answers for her sister's death but hardly anyone speaks of her. Cheryl Ladd gives out a decent performance as classmate Jody and Jo Van Fleet as the headmistress.

250px-Satans_School_for_Girls_1973.jpg
Old 25th January 2021, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Big Ass Spider. 2013.

A giant alien spider arrives in a body at a L.A. hospital and escapes, the military and a scientist team up with a exterminator to kill it.

Defiantly not one to be taken seriously even with the title, something of a nod to the old B Movies like Tarantula or Them, it does have it's funny campy moments and CGI effects that can make it more funny, this is one of those films that's up there with Eight Legged freaks, Ray Wise does make a decent Major and Lin Shaye as the sweet old scared of rats lady.

p9873245_p_v10_af.jpg

Extra scene after the first set of end credits.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:40 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Big Ass Spider. 2013.

A giant alien spider arrives in a body at a L.A. hospital and escapes, the military and a scientist team up with a exterminator to kill it.

Defiantly not one to be taken seriously even with the title, something of a nod to the old B Movies like Tarantula or Them, it does have it's funny campy moments and CGI effects that can make it more funny, this is one of those films that's up there with Eight Legged freaks, Ray Wise does make a decent Major and Lin Shaye as the sweet old scared of rats lady.

Attachment 230859

Extra scene after the first set of end credits.
I saw this last September, forgot to review it. It was a lot better than many films of this ilk and the spider looked cool but i did think it began to run out of steam the longer it went on.

It showed the big ass spider more or less straight away - a lot of movies could take note from that.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw this last September, forgot to review it. It was a lot better than many films of this ilk and the spider looked cool but i did think it began to run out of steam the longer it went on.

It showed the big ass spider more or less straight away - a lot of movies could take note from that.
It was decent and a bit better than Spiders 3D, when I saw a few familiar names, my instincts were a few well known actors but why be in a stupid horror but it kept me entertained.
Old 26th January 2021, 06:59 PM
Cult Master

319604-rabid-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

A young fashion designer living with the scars both physically and emotionally of a car accident which took the lives of her parents Sarah's trauma is about ti get a while lot worse. After discovering she was invited to a party by a guy she really likes but his invite wasnt genuine he was put up to it by her friend. Sarah storms out of the club and is involved is an horrific accident leaving her face disfigured. In pure desperation Sarah takes part in an experimental plastic surgery that will have dire side effect and give her a thirst for something she has spent her life avoiding.

The Soska must have been under so mich pressure when they took it upon themselves to do this film an iconic director and a big influence on them. Did they buckle under the pressure lets find out.

The simple answer is no they didnt blow it the films is well acted and very beautifully shot there is a great use of colour and lighting especially the use of red representing the overall theme of blood in the film. The gore effects look great maybe the torso fingernails rip looked a bit ropey but generally everything looked really nice horrific and realistic. There were a couple of scenes where i though peoples reactions were a big stupid mainly the face reveal from under the bandages after the accident but hey its a horror film not 24 hours in A&E

Over all i found it to be a fun film with some great gore im really glad to own this and i will watch it again no doubt. As a big fan of American Mary and how good this turned out i will definitely have to check out See No Evil 2 and i look forward to see what The Soska Sisters do next.

7/10

Little personal side note just my view of course if you hate remakes thats your opinion this is just my view.

Its always tough going into a remake of any film let alone a film you love but you have to be open minded and put the original to the back of your mind at least until the film is over to let yourself have an opinion. Years ago i was the sort of person that felt it was blasphemy and all that bollox to do a remake but i have been willing to give remakes more of a chance the past few years and there are some that are really good so no point missing out by having a narrow mind at the end of the day the originals we all love are always going to be there.
Old 26th January 2021, 07:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Hush. A maniac killer targets a young deaf woman living alone in the country in this mid 2010s horror thriller from Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Doctor Sleep). A lean and efficient thrill ride, with a very intense and visceral climactic showdown between the overly confident killer and a woman who will not be going down without one hell of a fight.
Old 26th January 2021, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Follower. 2017.

Internet Blogger David is invited to a house by recluse/loner Carol as she feels her house is haunted. Sceptic that the house is haunted, David is given one rule, film anywhere but not in Grandma's room.

This is one of those found footage movies that seemed decent shot on a shoe string budget in a flat, house, forest and a shop that's the locations, the plot seemed to be simple, guy investigates a supposed haunted house and doesn't go well. The only thing that didn't go well was the acting, everyone is trying so hard to make it look real, and try so hard to make it look creepy, only two things decent about this film, the blink and miss it moments and the end credits.

MV5BM2UyYWM4ZWQtM2FiNi00NjlmLWE0OTItOWIwOGVmYjUzZmVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcwMzkyNDE@._V1_.jpg
Old 26th January 2021, 08:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

SCREAM FOR HELP 1984 Michael Winner

Outrageous Stepfather outing (Which was written by Tom Holland) and released three years before the Terry O'Quinn outing.
Winner's film is done in the same sort of style as his later Dirty Weekend with most of Holland's script binned and some OTT setpieces replacing the suspense.
In the extras interview he really puts the boot into Winner!

I loved it.It's a keeper and I highly recommend it for fans of the late Death Wish man.
If you ever wondered what a sleazy and violent episode of Knots Landing would look like,then look no further!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Full Monty

A group of unemployed men from Sheffield become unlikely Strippers. This is a very funny film with plenty of humorous moments. Thinking now that The Producers would probably like to change 1 song from it's Soundtrack now.

Back To The Future Part II

Our 2 heroes go into the future in order to prevent Michael J. Fox's Son from committing a crime however an older Biff is able to sneak back and hand a younger self the results of every major sporting event which therefore change's 1985. It was ok, expected better but it did have a earlier role for Darlene Vogel who was quite hot in the 90's

School Of Rock

Jack Black is a slacker who somehow is able to get a job teaching a Prep School Class. But seeing that he's not a Teacher, he ends up turning the Class into a Rock Band. Once you can get passed the ludicrous notion that he was able to start teaching with being found out, this film is riotous fun, great soundtrack. This film is perfect for Jack Black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fm.jpg (14.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg BTTFPII.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg sor.jpg (13.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th January 2021, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Death Wish 3 (1985)

A gentle rom-com from the prolific Michael Winner in which Charles Bronson takes a Browning Machine Gun to the street punks of Brooklyn.

A classic exploiter that continues to thrill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Death_wish_three.jpg (22.9 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!