Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2021, 09:50 AM
Cultist

9/10

Farrelly Brothers were unstoppable in the 90s. This along with There's Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber are superb.
Old 30th January 2021, 09:56 AM
Cult Rookie

Default The Conjuring

My personal favourite film in the horror genre.
The Conjuring by director James Wan from 2013.
I like films based on true events, like the Amityville films. Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren and Patrick Wilson as Ed Warren.

Unfortunately I can't share any pictures/URLs yet, but I think many of you will know the first part of the Conjuring series I'm talking about.
Old 30th January 2021, 11:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hell House LLC II (2018, Stephen Cognetti)

Another traipse around everyone's favourite holiday destination
An investigative web journalist is attracted to the story at the Abbadon hotel, so guess what? Dig up the survivor and a smarmy psychic and off we go ...
I thought at points they were going for the comedy route, as some of the dialogue was so painfully dire, until the last third where it yet again proves to me that some folk really liked the last level of the original Silent Hill game
Ahem.

RWD (2015, Matt Stuertz)

A pair of debunkers go location hunting. They find an abandoned ... something, didn't look like an asylum (no cells) or anything really. They find some temporal loop which causes them no end of grief with the doppelgangers and that. Somewhat confusing at the end (intentional??) so I may revisit it ... or not

Both FF. NEXT!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th January 2021, 01:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post

9/10

Farrelly Brothers were unstoppable in the 90s. This along with There's Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber are superb.
One of my favourite comedies its hard to beat Big Ernie McCracken
MuckyFunster likes this.
Old 30th January 2021, 02:21 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
One of my favourite comedies its hard to beat Big Ernie McCracken
Big Ern is some character, his hair at the end is genius. But he pretty much steals every scene he's in.
Old 30th January 2021, 03:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Game Of Death. 1978.

Billy Lo is a high action film star being persuade to join "The Syndicate" organisation who will take care of his finances, when Billy refuses several times they decide he has to die. Billy fakes his death in order to keep his girlfriend safe and seek revenge.

This was put on hold so Bruce Lee can do Enter The Dragon, part of the film had been shot and unfortunately Bruce passed away, as much as I liked this film I still feel this should not have been done, Tai-Jeeong Kim steps in to portray Billy Lo, you can tell it's not the best double and use stock footage from his other movies, but you can't deny the good fight scenes when Bruce is involved.

Game+of+Death+UK+poster.jpg
Old 30th January 2021, 03:52 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Game Of Death. 1978.

Billy Lo is a high action film star being persuade to join "The Syndicate" organisation who will take care of his finances, when Billy refuses several times they decide he has to die. Billy fakes his death in order to keep his girlfriend safe and seek revenge.

This was put on hold so Bruce Lee can do Enter The Dragon, part of the film had been shot and unfortunately Bruce passed away, as much as I liked this film I still feel this should not have been done, Tai-Jeeong Kim steps in to portray Billy Lo, you can tell it's not the best double and use stock footage from his other movies, but you can't deny the good fight scenes when Bruce is involved.

Attachment 230955
Its crazy the way it was done using the funeral footage in the film but like you said whenever Bruce Lee is on screen it makes up for how ridiculous everything else is.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 30th January 2021, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Game Of Death .... one of the Exploitation masterclasses tbh.
We've got some footage ... but not enough .... so we'll eke it out with padding.
Nordicdusk and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th January 2021, 05:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Stephen King's Desperation (2006)

Mick Garris' two hour tv movie of the 1996 Stephen King novel (Who actually wrote the screenplay himself) is a hugely enjoyable horror thriller.

Helped by a good cast - Ron Perlman, Tom Skerritt, Annabeth Gish, Steven Weber and Charles Durning - the film tells the story of a disparate group of people who end up locked in jail in the same backwater police station by grizzled sheriff Perlman.

I was pretty much gripped from the opening scenes and my interest never wavered. I felt the film had echoes of the superb King mini series Storm of the Century (1999) with it's settings and possession premise whilst still being entirely it's own entity whilst director Garris keeps the action flowing smoothly.

There are some reasonably gory sequences and stand out parts such as what seem like hundreds of possessed animals sat at the side of the road in almost guard of honor style will stick in the memory.

By the way, the backwater town is called Desperation, but it also describes the situation for the jailbirds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-Stephen_King's_Desperation.jpg (27.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 30th January 2021, 05:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Game Of Death .... one of the Exploitation masterclasses tbh.
We've got some footage ... but not enough .... so we'll eke it out with padding.
Eurocine - "Pah! Game of Death...Hold my beer"
Demoncrat, Nordicdusk and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!