Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179471Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2021, 07:55 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Yule Strong: A Film by the Wessex Working Men.

A collection of short films that work as a themed whole looking at rural and national identity, myth and legend, boxing, strongman contests and stone lifting. The whole thing is peppered with clips from 70s vampire films and has a soundtrack of folk music and spoken word pieces.

The whole thing is wonderfully eccentric in a very English way and a part of a greater art/occult project that includes books, zines and dvds all put out at a crazy pace by the husband and wife team behind it. They are presently know as Wyrd Isle Analogue Collective and only have a social media presence on Telegram. That could change as they constantly rename themselves and appear and disappear on different platforms.
Old 31st January 2021, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted M!

I .... went back there, I just couldn't help myself, it was like something was controlling my actions ....

Found Footage 3D (2016, Steven Degennaro)

Slightly meta this time. Slightly. Guess what happens when a cynical director decides to film in an actually haunted house? Some fun with this one, what with the self aware dialogue, so you could treat it like a comedy if you wanted.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st February 2021, 09:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Total Recall (1990)

Great sci if action film - wonderfully over the top, sometimes a bit silly, and although it wasn’t the most memorable of Arnie’s films it kept me glued to the screen till the end. I’m a big fan of cheesy one liners in action movies and I think, for me, it might have been let down a bit by the lack of them. There’s actually one scene where I bet Arnie could have perfectly delivered the line “Let me give you a hand” and it would have gone done in history.

IMG_8348.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st February 2021, 01:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

Only Lovers Left Awake!

I was really liking this glacially cool and rather rock n' roll tale of ancient vampires but the hypnotic guitar music put me to sleep.

Definitely not one to revisit last thing at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMTY0NTQ1NjA0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg5NjkzMTE@._V1_.jpg (102.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 1st February 2021, 01:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

Only Lovers Left Awake!

I was really liking this glacially cool and rather rock n' roll tale of ancient vampires but the hypnotic guitar music put me to sleep.

Definitely not one to revisit last thing at night.
I've seen Only Lovers Left Alive a couple of times and think it's a great film. I can't remember the score or ever feeling tired; it's been quite a long time since I saw it last.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st February 2021, 01:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've seen Only Lovers Left Alive a couple of times and think it's a great film. I can't remember the score or ever feeling tired; it's been quite a long time since I saw it last.
It's similar to something Ry Cooder might come up with but incredibly hypnotic.

I should start it earlier than half past midnight next time.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st February 2021, 02:05 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's similar to something Ry Cooder might come up with but incredibly hypnotic.

I should start it earlier than half past midnight next time.
I'm usually sound asleep by then!
Old 1st February 2021, 06:26 PM
Cult Master

MV5BM2ViZWNhODktODZmNC00OTRiLThiNzQtODcwZjZhOWJlOWRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDEzNTA1MDE@._V1_.jpg

A family have to retreat to their lake house after the mother accidentally kills a maintenance man thinking he was the man who has been stalker her for a year. But they cant hide for long in this small community that has its fair share of weirdos.

Im all for low budget independent films ans giving them a fair chance but this one was a real effort to get through and what makes it worse is thats its only 60 minutes long. Im no looker but the mother in this is not a looker herself but all her sons friends and every man who catches a glimpse of her is instantly in love talking like she is the hottest woman on earth even people who ha e only spoken to her on the phone . Every single character acts overly crazy and weird trying to throw you off the sent of the killer but instead of you trying to work out the twist it just becomes grating.

Avoid

2/10
Old 1st February 2021, 06:35 PM
Cult Master

MV5BZTA5NmY5ZTgtZTU3MS00NDliLWFhNGYtYWMyZmJjNzUzZTE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg

While the US military are hard at work in Vietnam they set about rescuing the last few POWs before they leave for the states. With the promise of $2 million im gold the army recruit a few Hells Angels that have showed up in town to drive to the location and pick up the goods and get out the POWs everyone is a winner.

The plot is absolutely ridiculous but it was actually a fun film with plenty of high speed bike action a pinch of death and topped off with a healthy dose of explosions. The acting is pretty dire but who care with so mich craziness going on and the best part was the main bad guy was none other than Vernon Wells sporting one of the worst skull and cross bones patch i have ever seen on his shirt sleeve

5/10
Old 1st February 2021, 06:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brawl in Cell Block 99. 2017.

A former boxer turned drugs runner ends up in prison after the last haul went wrong. He is given a choice kill another prisoner of have parts of his unborn baby delivered to him.

Vince Vaughn takes a step back from his comedy element and plays a no nonsense guy, who can take a car apart with his hands and is able to take a beaten. Udo Kier stars as the calm straight talking go between guy who gives Vince a offer. Don Johnston plays the warden of the maximum prison who has his own method of sadistic punishment.

I didn't expect much from this film at it sounded like one man taking on the whole prison but I was wrong, the fight scenes are well choreographed, the dialogue between the actors is a bit slow and stop at times, the killings are really believable but you go with what you can, worth a watch.

Brawl-in-Cell-Block-99-Poster-1000x640.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!