Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Karate Kid (1984)

The film that (Probably unintentionally) launched one of the hottest TV shows currently around sees a young Daniel LaRusso getting bullied by a young Johnny Lawrence and he meets Mr. Miaggi who ends up teaching him Karate so that they can have a showdown at a Karate Tournament.

This is one of the earliest films, I ever saw and in 1984, this is was a 15 rated film (I know) but this to me is in iconic as well as a classic movie. Martin Kove as John Kreese is everything you want in a villain.

I wonder if Sony have the rights to the originally trilogy. Imagine what a extras laden Special Edition Blu Ray could be like considering most of the original cast are still around. Would love a Ralph, William and Marin retrospective commentary.

The Inbetweeners 2

The boys are back this time they go to Australia in order to find Jay's Ex. Losts of laughs in this one, I preferred this to the original movie (Which is not a knock on that one)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tkk.jpg (15.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ti2.jpg (10.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The A-Team (2010)

Lots of shooting, explosions and shouting but zero suspense and tension.

This is the second time i've watched this tv series remake. I'd completely forgotten anything that happened in it following that first watch a decade ago and i'm sure by tomorrow morning, aside from the flying tank, i'll have forgotten it all once again.
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)

OK, I really enjoyed this. Perhaps because I was expecting it to be rubbish I had my expectations quite low but it's loads of fun, has some creative and graphic kills and the soundtrack is good too!

Sure, the plot wasn't entirely plausible and Jack Black is woefully misjudged but it was the 90s!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 2nd February 2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Isn't the blu 3d?

The dvd is. It's not bad at all even though i'm not usually keen on that early red/blue kind of 3d.

Yes the blu I’ve got gives you the option to watch in either 2D or 3D. It’s the blue and red glasses type of 3D rather than the RealD or whatever they call it. I can never really ‘see’ the blue/red glasses type
Of the 3D. Just looks blurry to me and ends up giving me sore eyes and a headache, so I don’t bother with it. My Friday 13th part 3 is the same, as is the 3D part in the Nightmare on Elm Street movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (2015, James Moran)

I caved. At least tisn't 9 bloody hours long this time.

An investigative team discover something awry when looking into local home foreclosures.

WAKE UP!!!

Yes, it's another Slender Man tale, but it was far better than the film called that ahem. A spiralling sense of doom envelopes them as they find that they've drawn "his" attention.
A cameo from another Tall Man may cheer you. It certainly gave me pause to smile and go "awwww" AHEM.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd February 2021, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mission Of Justice. 1992.

Bitter ex cop Kurt Harris joins a group of "Peacemakers" formed by a ruthless woman who wants to be mayor and to keep the streets clean and free of crime unaware Kurt has joined to find out what happened to his friend who was killed.

Jeff Wincott plays the bitter cop pushed by his sergeant and joins a movement after friend Tony Burton is killed and believes peacemaker founder Brigitte Nielsen and brother Matthias Hues are behind it. The acting is not the greatest but makes up with the fight scenes that are well choreographed even Karen Shepherd is able to pull out a few kicks and punches. Entertaining.

MV5BMzE2MTcyZWMtNTg4Zi00Yjc1LTg4NGEtZDhiMjdkNTExMTMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAxMjEzNzU@._V1_.jpg
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Superman II. The Richard Donnor Cut.

The Last son of Krypton sacrifices his birthright to be human and start a relationship unaware three Kryptonian criminals are heading to earth to rule.

Filmed with Superman before being fired and 75% filmed, Richard Donnor should have never been replaced, as we see more of Marlon Brando as Jor-El, and stock footage of Superman turning the world back round. The editing and sound it's not the best as it does seem jumpy and the sound goes lower but we do see The White House getting wrecked by General Zod and his two minions. This version did eventually grow on me and have come to enjoy it a lot especially with Lois trying to prove Clark is Superman.

220px-Supermaniiricharddonnercut.jpg
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Giant fire breathing turtle that can also fly at supersonic speeds is released from its slumber after a nuclear explosion , it promptly goes on a destructive rampage in Japan , nothing can stop it not even nuclear weapons so the scientist of the world come up with a secret plan , that involves trapping it and blasting it too mars, a enjoyable kaiju movie, always enjoyed these with men in suits destroying models which have a certain charm. Only thing I didn't like was the annoying kid who kept defending Gamera. The original turtle in a half shell! 7/10

Now watching.

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd February 2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Mountain Kings (2018)

Ah, a return to watching people you would cross the county to avoid.
A scummy quartet (is it five though??) traverse an uncaring landscape as they torture and maim their way round town.
Like a Fisher Price August Underground, it waves its "transgressive" elements in your face, mainly because there's very little else. The one neat bit of business what with the 4th wall breakage and that was instantly nullified by the next scene .
Plus it was 105 minutes. Brevity FFS!!

NOT FF. Shot in the black and the white so it sort of reminded me of Clerks. If Ed Kemper had directed Clerks, that's it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Superman II. The Richard Donnor Cut.
I know this version is sort of a concept version of what might have been but this is how I would have loved Superman II to have been theatrically.
I hate the comedy in the theatrical cut. It's just stupid.
General Zod, Ursa and Non, so evil in those brief scenes in Superman The Movie were reduced to the three stooges.
Also it's great to hear the John Williams score on the main titles rather than the Ken Thorne version which just has not the power.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!