Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2021, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Terminator. 1984.

A soldier sent from a dystopian 2029 L.A. where machines have conquered the earth, is tasked to save a woman who's unborn son can save mankind. On their tails is a cyborg programmed to kill her and anyone else.

Even at 37 years old, this film still holds up and helped the start the career of the big muscled man from Austria, and helped James Cameron career after Piranha II (that's still a good movie...IMHO ). Stan Winston knew how to create a bloody good scary robot that does not give up. James Cameron knew how to give a good extra twist when you think the cyborg is dead and all you get is...nah just joking, one extra life.

Was Arnie right for the role as the Terminator?? Yes he was, he had that look and persona that gave out I don't give a F@?k who's in my way I need to accomplish my mission and kill the mother of my enemy. Michael Biehn played the soldier of fortune Kyle Reese who seems to think on his feet a lot and create home made bombs. Linda Hamilton plays the intended target Sarah Connor who goes from a waitress to full blown badass , if anyone had someone trying to kill them may turn badass as well.

Lance Henriksen and Paul Winfield play the two main cops who don't believe what they are hearing until they witness during the police station shootout, when the release of The Terminator came out they could have added in the deleted scenes but hey ho we can't always get what we ask for.

1920-1080-1458996369-8228-780x405.jpeg
Old 6th February 2021, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've just started attack on the block, I'm I supposed to like these inbred evil little assholes? At this point routing for the aliens to kill them in the most gruesome and painful ways.

Edit

25 minutes in switched it off, puerile and not in a goodway.

Really does show how screwed up society is it we are supposed to route for these thugs. Hug a hoodie, more like a baseball bat too the face.

Edit
Watching ringu instead.

Last edited by trebor8273; 6th February 2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 6th February 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Terminator 2: Judgement Day. 1991.

A cyborg, identical to the one that hunted down Sarah Connor is sent to find John Connor, Sarah's son and protect him from a more advanced cyborg.

This superb sequel surpasses the excellent original in every department and quite simply a great action film. Set 15 years after the original Arnie may return as the good Terminator trying to protect John Connor but he's a redundant piece of scrap metal compared to the T-1000.

The cinematography and effects are stunning, especially the start of the film with traffic going by and kids at a play park then see the aftermath of the apocalypse and the machines rising up against the humans, but they hold up wonderfully against anything made today, even with the nuclear blast in Sarah's dream sequence looks terrifying.

Linda Hamilton returns as Sarah Connor, she acted her character perfectly here she played her character genius and very convincing and real, tough beyond all belief and completely focused on preventing the nuclear war and ensuring John's safety. We see her in a mental hospital and convinced the world would end and almost a female Rambo.

Robert Patrick plays the bad guy...or so to speak as a T-1000 who can mimic almost anything and anyone he touches, James Cameron and Stan Winston went balls out with creating this new cyborg and everyone thinking how can you kill it.

Edward Furlong plays the young John Connor in his film debut and was able to pull it off by not trusting his new protector to basically begging him not to self terminate and teaching Arnie how to smile which is a bit creepy, just a shame he went down a different path in life and didn't appear in the third installment.

1200x630.jpg
Old 7th February 2021, 01:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I've just started attack on the block, I'm I supposed to like these inbred evil little assholes? At this point routing for the aliens to kill them in the most gruesome and painful ways.

Edit

Really does show how screwed up society is it we are supposed to route for these thugs. Hug a hoodie, more like a baseball bat too the face.

Edit
Watching ringu instead.
I felt the same t. The creature design did make me stay the course.
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2021, 09:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Edit

Edit
Watching ringu instead.
I watched and reviewed Attack the Block when it was first released, years before John Boyega was in Star Wars films and Jodie Whitaker was considered as Doctor Who. This was the end of my review:

Quote:
Attack the Block isn't as funny or scary as it should be in order to become a top drawer horror-comedy and it won't be seen in the same light as films such as Evil Dead II, An American Werewolf in London or Young Frankenstein in years to come. It perhaps suffers from inevitable comparisons to Shaun of the Dead, if only due to the presence of Nick Frost, as the subject material is entirely different as it's well written and directed with the predominantly young cast doing a sterling job. Frost, Whitaker and Luke Treadaway are not the most prolific screen actors, with Whitaker known more for her stage work, but they are very assured in front of the camera and command attention. In different ways, actors such as John Boyega (Moses), Jumayn Hunter (Hi-Hatz) and Franz Drameh (Dennis) impress with their extremely realistic portrayal of inner-city teenage gangsters who can be both stunningly naïve and endearing but also extremely frightening.

This may not be the best horror-comedy I've seen in recent years, but it is an extremely well made film, packed with remarkable sequences and, with suspense, scares and humour, is an extremely enjoyable watch.
After writing about the AV quality and special features, these were my final thoughts:

Quote:
Attack the Block boasts remarkably slick, energetic and accomplished direction by Joe Cornish, whose smart script captures the feel of inner-city London extremely well, no doubt aided by the many years he lived in an environment similar to that in which the film is set. The entire cast is impressive, with Nick Frost in a role which suits him perfectly, Jodie Whittaker making one of her rare screen appearances and the more prolific newcomer Luke Treadaway impressing yet again. Due to the quality of the performances and the way they are able to put on a 'street attitude', I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the younger actors in bigger projects in years to come.

The disc has extremely good AV quality and hours of extra features, including three commentary tracks so, with a very good film and one of the more impressive discs I've come across this year, this is a release worthy of your time and money.
Old 7th February 2021, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Biggish backlog, so I'll try to be quick -

NINJA 3: THE DOMINATION – A first viewing, but if I ever need just one movie to sum up eighties neon trashiness, this’ll do it. A telephone repairwoman is possessed by the spirit of an evil ninja, leading to a tsunami of glowing dry ice and spandex workouts. A ripe delight from Cannon of yore.

TAMMY AND THE T-REX – Again, baffled to be watching this for the first time ever – it’s genius. Combines teen angst melodrama and high school hi-jinks with a flesh-ripping animatronic dinosaur and graphic brain surgery. ‘Screwed up’ comes in a variety of flavours but none taste as bent as this wacky nineties time capsule. I shall watch it again.

CTHULHU MANSION – JP Simon does for Lovecraft what he did for Hutson in ‘Cthulhu Mansion’, a film whose every frame seethes with the foul majesty of Yog Sothoth – not quite. In fact, not at all. It’s just some punks loose in a big house with Frank Finlay, of all bloody people. Anyone with a weakness for nineties trash will find something in it, and there are some perky moments such as the one when a bag of cocaine self-immolates, but bear in mind, it’s mostly just people running around arguing.

THE RESSURECTED – Another nineties stab at Lovecraft, this time from Dan O’Bannon, who here takes on ‘The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward’. Atmospheric enough from the outset, and the vague ponderousness that sets in wasn’t enough to unhook me before the twisted latex fx pieces stepped from the catacomb shadows. A quite-good movie that had greatness in it.

BLOOD THEATRE – Pretty mad stuff from the director of ‘Hobgoblins’. Unintentional (?) surrealism vies with poorly done comedy horror in a haunted movie theatre where the only sane entity is Mary Woronov. What is she, a bona fide cult figure who always has a strange intensity about her, doing with this bunch of stiffs? Some questions are unanswerable, but most of the ones posed by ‘Blood Theatre’ don’t make sense anyway. From its demented casio soundtrack, through random strange camera angles, indecipherable in-jokes (that door sound effect), nonsensical back-story, stillborn acting that would disgrace the contents of a morgue (MW aside), ‘Blood Theatre’ never fails to baffle. There are far, far worse films, but it is too pungent to simply be a bad film. That makes it interesting and worthwhile in my book, so I recommend it.

BIOHAZARD – A movie that wears its ‘trash’ badge with pride, ‘Biohazard’ is a Fred Olen Ray creature feature from the early / mid eighties and happens to be a lot of fun if you’re in the right mood. And who couldn’t love that ending? There is much else besides to recommend it. The little alien looks like a squashed beetle riffing on ET, Angelique Pettyjohn is a busty psychic and Aldo Ray manages his lines pretty well considering. Everything feels held together with see-through tape and a prayer, yet it still conjures an indisputable sense of wonder and movie magic if you’ll let it. It’s gorier than I remembered. Highly enjoyable.

LUZ – A very intriguing take on the theme of possession from director Tilman Singer. ‘Luz’ is arranged around a quite astounding police interrogation sequence, in which a hypnotised cab driver re-enacts the traumatic event that led her to the cop-shop using mime and props in a room which is basically just full of chairs and surveillance equipment. Eventually, as the past reveals more of itself, an even more cryptic interposition of different realities takes over, and identities fragment and well, you know, ‘qu’est que c’est’ (or maybe ‘was ist das’, it is German after all). It’s a film which is more about style and atmosphere, and everything feels very detached and austere at first, becoming more dream-like towards the end. Looking for easy answers? Watch ‘Biohazard’ (see above)! The hypnotherapist looks like a young Klaus Kinski.
Old 7th February 2021, 07:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Corruption. 1968.

A doctor goes to extreme lengths and even murder to restore his girlfriend's badly scarred face.

This was a bit of a homage to Eyes Without A Face, this wasn't released through Hammer but Columbia pictures were the distributors of the film, it's good to see Peter Cushing as a respected doctor turning into a killer. You can clearly see he doesn't want to kill anyone yet he is pushed to kill for the love of his girlfriend played by Sue Lloyd. This has all the hallmarks of a great horror, tense moments, killings, dark background score.

Peter Cushing did go on to say the only reason he starred in this was the script is good, but investors couldn't agree to how the film should end and what we got was a result of creative differences, which gives it a twisted dream ending which gave it a nice touch.

220px-Corruption_(film).jpg
Old 7th February 2021, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After some volcanic activity Gyaos is awakened and like all good Kaiju he promptly goes on a destructive rampage , Gyaos is flying creature with a taste for human blood and can cut things in half with its super sonic voice . As usual the Japanese military try to stop him, but once again it's up too gamera to end the menace. Another enjoyable film. 7/10

It's not a top grade slasher but it's enjoyable , with a cast that's better than most in these films. The transfer is great and it was a enjoyable and gripping story but it could of done with a few more kills and the reveal was a little bit of disappointment as the killer we saw were and who it was revealed to be are nothing alike in height of weight . But that last scene of the killer looking into the camera was quite creepy. 7/10

Now watching.

Old 7th February 2021, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Action Point

Johnny Knoxville tells the story to his Granddaughter whilst babysitting of him running a Theme Park where safety isn't the biggest concern. This film isn't going to win any awards and I don't care about any negative reviews. I absolutely love this film, I found it so funny. There are so many funny lines and the accidents were funny as well. Also as it was set in the Summer, it certainly made me wish that we are in Summer now (fed up with the cold now)

Life Of David Gale

Kate Winslet is a Reporter sent to interview Kevin Spacey who is on Death Row awaiting Execution. She starts to suspect that he may be innocent. This is a hidden gem, when I saw the poster at the Cinema, it wasn't on my radar, but when I watched it, I was very surprised on how entertaining it is. There is also an early appearance from Melissa McCarthy.

All The Money In The World

Christopher Plummer steals the show as John Paul Getty (The World's Richest Man) who refuses to pay a penny in order to secure the release of his Grandson who has been kidnapped. Mark Warlberg is his fixer who is sent to help out his former Daughter-In-Law played by Michelle Williams. This is certainly a Thriller, had me enthralled from the start. It was one of my favorite films of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ap.jpg (13.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg lodg.jpg (11.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg atminw.jpg (11.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th February 2021, 02:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Superman II. The Richard Donnor Cut.

The Last son of Krypton sacrifices his birthright to be human and start a relationship unaware three Kryptonian criminals are heading to earth to rule.

Filmed with Superman before being fired and 75% filmed, Richard Donnor should have never been replaced, as we see more of Marlon Brando as Jor-El, and stock footage of Superman turning the world back round. The editing and sound it's not the best as it does seem jumpy and the sound goes lower but we do see The White House getting wrecked by General Zod and his two minions. This version did eventually grow on me and have come to enjoy it a lot especially with Lois trying to prove Clark is Superman.

Attachment 231057
Just finished watching the Richard Donner cut, some version of films are slightly different scenes being extended or shortened, this version is totally different in many ways, right from the start even up towards the end, people complained about some comedy elements like the ice cream cone flying off and hitting someone in the face, I found elements like that seemed to work better than some elements that I found stupid, when their trying to escape from prison and he does the bunny ears and their arguing over the psst , and when they get to superman place and she debating about needing the toilet, also felt the ending where superman faces them with the reverse process was a bit short and rushed the other version I thought was better, overall I enjoyed it but felt the other version we are used to was better IMO.

Last edited by gag; 8th February 2021 at 02:49 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!