Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2021, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

unn.jpg P1010472.jpg
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977)

Just a bit of nostagia time. I remember when this came out in 1978 here in the UK, Star Wars was still riding high as it was also on general release in the UK. So, with this movie we had another box office smash. The music was in the charts and everyone was crazy for it. I remember some mates at school switched thier allegiance from Star Wars to this movie (Bah!) even though at the time the film was an X cert and no one could see it. So most school kids had to wait until the film was re released in 1979 as an A cert cut version. This was the version that also double billed with Grease.
Watching the movie now, it is for me a time capsule of those heady school days and times of the 1970's as it captures the time perfect.
... and yes, I still remember how to do the Night Fever line dance, ha ha!
Old 24th February 2021, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Having never seen it, I was surprised how gritty it actually was Dave, I would certainly revisit!

The Mitchell Tapes (2010, Thomas S Nicol)

FF.
When a tv show decides to visit a haunted house .. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...
Actually loved this because of several things ...
1. The entire town tell them "You're all DOOMED!!"
2. They hire teenagers, who maybe peachy keen but naive!!
3. The producer is that crazed for ratings, he seals then into the house!!!
Ahem. Suffice to say, it all ends with a massive musical number the like of which you haven't seen since Vincent Minnelli helmed a flick

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th February 2021, 11:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Blood of the Vampire (1958)

Blood of the Vampire is classic brooding Gothic horror, very much in the Hammer tradition, in fact the film was written by famed Hammer script writer Jimmy Sangster, who wrote the horror classics Curse of Frankenstein and Horror of Dracula. Whilst definitely not in their league, Blood of the Vampire is certainly a well constructed slice of lurid pleasure.

The film is pretty grim in its tone and its colour, giving none of the gorgeous reds and greens seen in Hammer at the time . The film has several set pieces all quite strong for the late fifties including the near rape of Barbara Shelley and the final attack on a a lead character by savage prison guard dogs.

Donald Wolfit as Dr Callistratus is quite close in looks to Bela Lugosi's Dracula . If truth be told Wolfit seems a bit too plump and well fed for a Vampire, maybe this is due to Callistratus not being a conventional Vampire. However he does give a decent scenery chewing performance. Special mention to Victor Maddern who is unrecognisable under the grotesque make up of Karl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2070141.jpg (97.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 25th February 2021, 02:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 231490 Attachment 231491
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977)

Just a bit of nostagia time. I remember when this came out in 1978 here in the UK, Star Wars was still riding high as it was also on general release in the UK. So, with this movie we had another box office smash. The music was in the charts and everyone was crazy for it. I remember some mates at school switched thier allegiance from Star Wars to this movie (Bah!) even though at the time the film was an X cert and no one could see it. So most school kids had to wait until the film was re released in 1979 as an A cert cut version. This was the version that also double billed with Grease.
Watching the movie now, it is for me a time capsule of those heady school days and times of the 1970's as it captures the time perfect.
... and yes, I still remember how to do the Night Fever line dance, ha ha!
The first time i watched this film it really took me by surprise i mean on face of it it just looks like a happy go lucky dance film but when you watch it its a pretty dark affair.
Demoncrat and Dave Boy like this.
Old 25th February 2021, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There's Something In The Pilliga (2014, Daniel Millerd)

FF.
2 ocker blokes drive around getting pissed and pissing off the locals on the way to meet a hermit type. They pick up 2 sheilas and wahey, guess what's awaiting them when they get there. It's not Skippy
Decent enough production value with this one, you can smell one of the sets etc, the reveal was cheekily just enough to keep you gripped.

Breach (2020)

Bruce in space???
A rag tag bunch have to fight off several cliches whilst hurtling towards "New Earth". The Willis at least seems to try this time as he's on screen a fair bit this time. Life was better for all that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th February 2021, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Three To Tango

Matthew Perry is an Architect whose perspective employer (Dylan McDermott) asks him to spy on his mistress (Neve Campbell) after he mistakes him for being gay. Obviously he falls in love with her. Oliver Platt is Perry's business partner (Who is gay)

This was the 2nd DVD, I bought (This was it a time when films will go on retail sale on DVD months before they go on retail sale on Video) and it's another film I forgot what happened. I remembered that I like it then and it's still funny with all the mis-communications and situations, Perry found himself in. Like The Whole Nine Yards, Perry doesn't deviate from The Chandler Bing Character. Whilst I don't believe it's offensive, I doubt it would get made in 2021.

Blind Fury

Rutger Hauer is blind after being Vietnam and after being trained in how to use a sword by villagers, he returns to The U.S.A in order to find his friend who is in debt to a local Mobster. After he saves his friend's Son from being kidnapped, he goes to save him. Short, brisk and very enjoyable with some good sword action and Comedy mixed in.

Ring Of Death

Johnny Messner is an ex-cop who is sent undercover into a Prison where Warden, Stacey Keach is running a Fighting Ring. Really enjoyable film with some realistic brutal fighting action. As I said on a previous Anacondas: Hunt For The Blood Orchid review, Messner would have made a great 80's B-Movie Star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ttt.jpg (9.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg bf.jpg (14.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg rod.jpg (14.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 25th February 2021, 10:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
There's Something In The Pilliga (2014, Daniel Millerd)

FF.
2 ocker blokes drive around getting pissed and pissing off the locals on the way to meet a hermit type. They pick up 2 sheilas and wahey, guess what's awaiting them when they get there. It's not Skippy
Decent enough production value with this one, you can smell one of the sets etc, the reveal was cheekily just enough to keep you gripped.

I don't know. They didn't bother to show it. Really annoying characters too.

Some you win some you lose with these things.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 25th February 2021, 10:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Taken 3 (2014)

Despite some headache inducing editing and ludicrous character personality changes when you take into account the first film - Good natured, pony buying Xander Berkeley miraculously turns into Russian mafia kingpin Dougray Scott - i still found this, on second viewing, a fair bit of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taken_3_poster.jpg (25.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th February 2021, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Head Case (2007)

One last FF (for now tee hee)
The last two I watched were ok, but sheeeeeeeeeeeesh, you reap what you sow in both cases (ahem). Onwards !!

Meet Wayne and Andrea. They work together. At home or at the office, they are a team. Dedicated to their own particular passion for meeting new folks mainly.
They are fairly certain they've chosen the right path in life, and who am I to judge?
Cough.
One of the better efforts (no, they're nae ghost hunters )
Suburbanites with secrets ... and that's all you get.
Enjoyed this one immensely. Which probably says something about me

Psycho Goreman (2020, Steven Kostanski)

One half of the The Void team presents us with a laugh riot in places. If you've seen the trailer, you'll know what to expect, if you haven't, go in blind for the most impact.
Meet Mimi & Karl. Siblings with a verve for life. They meet a new friend, who changes their whole world.
I cried with laughter ... mostly. Certain elements meh.
Was worth the wait.

[B]
Old 26th February 2021, 08:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Three To Tango

Matthew Perry is an Architect whose perspective employer (Dylan McDermott) asks him to spy on his mistress (Neve Campbell) after he mistakes him for being gay. Obviously he falls in love with her. Oliver Platt is Perry's business partner (Who is gay)

This was the 2nd DVD, I bought (This was it a time when films will go on retail sale on DVD months before they go on retail sale on Video) and it's another film I forgot what happened. I remembered that I like it then and it's still funny with all the mis-communications and situations, Perry found himself in. Like The Whole Nine Yards, Perry doesn't deviate from The Chandler Bing Character. Whilst I don't believe it's offensive, I doubt it would get made in 2021.

Blind Fury

Rutger Hauer is blind after being Vietnam and after being trained in how to use a sword by villagers, he returns to The U.S.A in order to find his friend who is in debt to a local Mobster. After he saves his friend's Son from being kidnapped, he goes to save him. Short, brisk and very enjoyable with some good sword action and Comedy mixed in.

Ring Of Death

Johnny Messner is an ex-cop who is sent undercover into a Prison where Warden, Stacey Keach is running a Fighting Ring. Really enjoyable film with some realistic brutal fighting action. As I said on a previous Anacondas: Hunt For The Blood Orchid review, Messner would have made a great 80's B-Movie Star.
Its been years since i last saw Blind Fury i need to watch it again.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!